(Topic ID: 96795)

Does it make sense for Williams to get back into the pinball business?

By ddebuss

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Staffan
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

batmanslot_zpsc56a4166.jpg
    WMS.jpg
    There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Just look at WMS annual report

That's sort of hard to argue with. Yes, they make quite a bit of money selling slot machines.

#52 9 years ago

While I am not an expert on the financial stuff, I notice new units cost $15,500 and they sold over 20,000 new units in 2013 alone. $310 million dollars on new units in one year.

#53 9 years ago

I wonder if the other 69m is the pinball and arcade stuff. Not bad considering its a business they shut down.

#54 9 years ago

Income has dropped dramatically over the past 3 years.

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

I wonder if the other 69m is the pinball and arcade stuff. Not bad considering its a business they shut down.

No, it's not pinball and arcade stuff. The end of that was in 1999. Now it's all gambling related - online gaming, video lottery terminals etc. that make up the "other"

#56 9 years ago

There are some ex-pinball designers still working at WMS...and on slots nonetheless. Shame.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

While I am not an expert on the financial stuff, I notice new units cost $15,500 and they sold over 20,000 new units in 2013 alone.

For $15,500, those better be LE slot machines.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

For $15,500, those better be LE slot machines.

And for the most part are. My wife and I are "frequent slot gamblers". I appreciate charm of the old, but I am blown away every year with the new tech in the slots. The sensory immersion games, such as Wonka. Transmissive reels. LCDs, OLED buttons. Adaptive games. It's really quite impressive, and they are constantly raising the bar.

...I wish I could say the same for modern pinball. It's just not quite there.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

And for the most part are. My wife and I are "frequent slot gamblers". I appreciate charm of the old, but I am blown away every year with the new tech in the slots. The sensory immersion games, such as Wonka. Transmissive reels. LCDs, OLED buttons. Adaptive games. It's really quite impressive, and they are constantly raising the bar. ...I wish I could say the same for modern pinball. It's just not quite there.

We love the video slots too. Aristocrats new 60's Batman slot is cool. In the pic you can see the fin of Joe Kaminkows Batmobile that was on display.
    batmanslot_zpsc56a4166.jpgbatmanslot_zpsc56a4166.jpg

#60 9 years ago

To quote myself from a few months ago about the Pachinko situation in Japan, which is similar to the slot machine situation in the US:

"The popularity of Pachinko in Japan is quite staggering. Just in my small town, there are THOUSANDS of pachinko machines. I would wager that there are more pachinko machines on location in Japan than pinball machines in the entire world.

For example, Sega Sammy's production capacity at their Pachinko/Pachislot factory is 5000 pachinko machines per day (!!!) and this is just one of the many companies making them.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/individual/glossary/pachislot.html "

When something like a slot machine, crane machine, or whatever, brings in more money than a pinball machine ever could, AND is much easier to maintain, why bother with pinball?

Pinball requires passionate operators, owners, and players, but, unfortunately, passionate players spend less money, get more replays, and complain more.

In terms of the feel of machines, Woz doesn't feel like a B/W even though that is clearly what they were going for. Because of the change in designers, materials, manufacturing, etc. a B/W machine of now would not feel like a B/W from 1999.

In some ways, the yearning for the past of so many on here is not dissimilar from EM guys lamenting the changeover to solid state in the 70s. These are just different eras of pinball with different feels.

Even within Stern's (or B/W's) output there are vastly different feeling machines (IM and STLE for example).

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from Sega:

passionate players spend less money, get more replays, and complain more.

So true !

2 years later
    #63 7 years ago

Williams doesn't seem like the kind of company that would ever want to cater to the modern home pinball collector with all their outdated "dream themes" that today's manufacturers make to sell games.

Nope, not Williams. They knew when to get out to keep their pinball legacy intact. There will never be another pinball company like Williams either. Not gonna happen.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Williams doesn't seem like the kind of company that would ever want to cater to the modern home pinball collector with all their outdated "dream themes" that today's manufacturers make to sell games.
    Nope, not Williams. They knew when to get out to keep their pinball legacy intact. There will never be another pinball company like Williams either. Not gonna happen.

This is true. The Williams name and logo are synonymous with quality and fun for me and have been since I first laid eyes (and ears) on a little arcade game named Defender back in 1982--though I'm not gonna lie. If they returned, I would be #1 in line for a Sinistar pinball machine.

#65 7 years ago

Why bump a two year old thread? Let sleeping dogs lie.

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Why bump a two year old thread? Let sleeping dogs lie.

It's retro Monday. We also had another thread on dimples.

4 years later
    #67 2 years ago

It would be Amazing!

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Yes, pinball is having a resurgence
    Will it last?
    Only time will tell
    (I don't believe that many of these newguys will be around in 10 years)

Seven years in and it looks like you are full of shit (as usual)

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Seven years in and it looks like you are full of shit (as usual)

In three years we will know

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-it-make-sense-for-williams-to-get-back-into-the-pinball-business/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.