(Topic ID: 234067)

Does it bug you how slow the Planetary Pinball parts manuals are?

By swampwiz

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I don't know anywhere else - other than getting my hands on a dead-tree version - to access these parts manuals, and I have not been able to figure out a way to download them into a PDF or whatever file, so I have been stuck having to access these from there. Also, it seems that only version that works for me is in Chrome, and only using the Mobile version (although I guess I could try using Flash, but as every browser has deemed that being dangerous, I don't want to go there). The pages seem to load extremely slow for me.

#2 5 years ago

I agree the digital manuals are unnecessarily obnoxious to deal with, but the mobile version works just fine for me on Chrome. The mobile version is better than the Flash version. The SEO version has never seemed to work.

Just give us the PDFs...

#3 5 years ago

I've never had an issues with using flash. kinda senseless complaining about something that's out there for free. You could always spend a few hundred dollars for the catalogs if it's that much of an inconvenience.

#4 5 years ago

Atrociously bad, I agree. They obviously have the full manuals, why bother with a fancy viewer that just annoys people?

#5 5 years ago

Access can be frustrating but when I need them I am thankful they are there.

#6 5 years ago

Some catalogs are on pinwiki.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

The SEO version has never seemed to work.

That version isn't meant for human eyes...it's just for search engines to index.

Quoted from mario_1_up:

I've never had an issues with using flash. kinda senseless complaining about something that's out there for free. You could always spend a few hundred dollars for the catalogs if it's that much of an inconvenience.

Flash is in the process of being depreciated. It's often disabled in browsers by default now.

PDFs are much quicker to scroll through.

The flash reader is clunky, can't zoom in/out too well, and takes forever to go from page to page.

Some catalogs are very difficult to find in print form. It took me a few years to find a print copy of the bally 1981 parts catalog with the white cover. Not all catalogs are available as reprints.

Heck, try to find print copies of the williams blue, red, yellow, gray, and green catalogs. It's next to impossible, and they each go for $100-$200 *if* you can find them.

#7 5 years ago

When these were done it cost a lot of money to get them on line to help people. And they didn't want people printing the whole thing and selling them.

So it is what it is. Be glad there is access to them.

LTG : )

#8 5 years ago

May be slow but I would be screwed without them.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

Evidently, all the internet tech firms have a problem with it:

https://petapixel.com/2016/08/17/major-browsers-will-soon-block-flash-website-ready/

#10 5 years ago

Yeah...and that was in 2016!

#11 5 years ago

It’s extremely costly for companies to keep the Flash player up to date, because it gets updated for security reasons all.the.time. Like weekly. It is full of super bad holes that constantly need fixing. Apple started the crusade to kill it back in 2008 (!!) because it also killed the iPhone battery super fast. Took 10 years and it’s still kinda hanging on. Hopefully that will be over soon...

#12 5 years ago

Yes it bugs me that those manuals are slow and clunky. Give me good old PDF files any day.

I'm glad I scanned all my hard copy Gottlieb parts catalogs into PDF files. It's easy to find Gottlieb parts that way.

#13 5 years ago

i'd have no problem paying a fee to be able to download the manuals.

1 week later
    #14 5 years ago

It is possible to download the pages. You could even combine them into a PDF.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

It is possible to download the pages. You could even combine them into a PDF.

It's incredibly time consuming. Not worthwhile, IMHO. The full size pages aren't high enough resolution anyway.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-it-bug-you-how-slow-the-planetary-pinball-parts-manuals-are and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.