(Topic ID: 41042)

does it bother anyone else when people say a game is new but it's out of the box

By edwinpblue

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

does it bother anyone else when either individuals or dealers sell a game as new when it's not in the box? even if the disclose that it's out of the box. in my opinion a game that is on the floor and out of the box isn't new. if its been played (even as a demo) then that game isn't new. I had someone wanting to sell a newer out of Simpsons for $5900 saying it only had a handful of plays so it was new; what is to keep me from resetting all of my games and claim they are "new". I don't know. maybe I just needed to vent. it is definitely a pet peeve of mine. games are either new (in box), a demo (dealer off of the floor) or like new.

#2 11 years ago

I still consider a showroom game as new. I think it should be a bit less money as its been out and played, but still new. I hate to use the car comparison, but a car that has been driven to get gas of test driven a small amount i still consider new as well

#3 11 years ago

I agree with you. 50-150 miles on a car and it's still new. would you consider a demo car new. because to me thats what a demo game is.

#4 11 years ago

a new car has to have a certain # of miles on it so it is impossible to get a car with zero miles unless you have it shipped from assembly line to you. i got my porsche with something like 12 ish miles and was told that it was basically the minimum. i may have been told a lie but the other new cars had that or more miles on the lot when i checked them out. a pin that has been on showroom floor to me is not new. it is the same as a demo car from a dealership.

#5 11 years ago

Some states have a 100 mile rule. More than that and the car is no longer new.

#6 11 years ago

i would call it a demo or floor unit or what ever- and it should have a slight discount. i think cars and houses are a little different type of deal. due to title of ownership and what not. i see lots of floor merchandise with little things wrong even if mostly cosmetic, if they gave no discount i would just say not that one @ same price i want 1 in the box. guns hower ever i sometimes like the display unit usually the wood is a little nicer.

its not a major deal but i think your correct to question- biggger prob i have is the term mint- then i look at it and there are like 5 things wrong with it.

#7 11 years ago

doesn't bother me at all. New means the machine has not had an owner yet. Not that big of a deal to me that it is taken out of the box.

#8 11 years ago

so I guess a second question has arisen. if showroom model is new should that price be the same as new in box or should there be a discount. if there is a discount then the game isn't the same as new. if new and nib are basically the same then could a retailer re-box the game back into the original packaging? if the answer is no then is a floor model new? in not disagreeing with anyone because I like everyone's comment. I'm just contemplating the ifs. also RE the gun analogy I too will choose a floor model. then again floor models haven't been shot. in theory. if the gun shop had a display model that had a few cartridges run thru it would that stop being a new gun? would it be a demo? would it be a new demo? like a floor model pin? should the retailer with the floor model pin reset the game count? replace rubbers? all good comments and analogies guys.

#9 11 years ago

I like the car analogy.
    It's on the lot and a few people have test driven but not purchased it - it is new.
    It's a dealer salesman demo that has been used for 6 months and has 5,000 miles on it - it is not new.
    Similar with guns. Some dealers have a range out back where you can test shoot. A couple of rounds fired does not make it used.

There's a line somewhere on display pins, but I don't have an exact number of games where that line is crossed.

#10 11 years ago

It's all about disclosure. If it's been out of the box, say so.

#11 11 years ago

1. Assume any unknown seller is always lying.

2. Inspect playfield closely (with glass removed) for dimples.

Playfield dimples are directly proportional to number of plays. You can reset the audits, but you can't reset playfield dimples. A brand new game should have 2 or 3 dimples tops, if any at all. More than that, the game is used.

#12 11 years ago

There is an argument to made for the showroom model being better than one in the box. It has had all the assembly done and all the adjustments are made. Game plays 100%. I would love this in my new game purchase as long as there is nothing cosmetically wrong with it.

#13 11 years ago

It amazes me how so many people on this website think differently than I do. When it comes to "new", "HUO", "mint" or whatever I don't look for a concrete meaning of what those definitions mean. I look at each individual machine for what it is. I take what I have learned and make a decision on what it's worth to me. Then I might decide if I fully trust the seller and what he is saying or if something just doesn't seem quite right.

After all that if I buy it and take it home I never look back. It's my machine now and I am going to get the most fun out of it I can. If I can't do that then I would think I was buying machines out of the price range I should be in.

If you want to put a positive spin on it, maybe that open box game has been tweaked to near perfection. If the retailer is an expert, maybe in those 15 games that were played he improved the machine. In the end, it's your call. If you insist on getting one in the box, hold out until you find it.
    Life is too short to let things like this get the best of you.

#14 11 years ago

just my take on things and i have been wrong on many things befor- demos are only called new by the people selling them because its sound better than the other alt- "used" or preowend if you want to go that route...

but i know what new in theory means- unplayed, unshot, it means not used-

now i cut cars some slack- because once its build im sure they get in on the trailer, get it to various ship points and what ever and drive it as part as its logistics delivery.

as far as quailty control at the factory, again its part of the manfacture process it self- if they cycle the machine turn it on or test fire a round to check for defective, im cool with that..

but itemes setting in a show room are different- you cant be playing balls through a machine, shooting the gun at the range, and still be new----- just because it dont have a privet owner its still being used and therfor not new- (except for the seller he will always say its what ever to get a best price) its all spin-------

would you say i want a "new" jag thats has had 10- 10 mile test drives on salted road in winter- or rather have one with out- them??? well there new and theres new i guess.

a simpsons with a hand full of games- how ever exactly many that is supose to be??? might be a sweet deal and a hell of a nice game- but its not a new game......

#15 11 years ago

People will say anything to sell a machine. I bought my Tron from a dealer, according to him the machine was brand new, just out of the box, "only displayed in a showroom".

When I went to take a look it had a "2 tokens per play" sticker on the front, the left ramp was blown out, scoop hole had visible wear, playfield was pretty dirty...

Must've been a real busy showroom.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

People will say anything to sell a machine. I bought my Tron from a dealer, according to him the machine was brand new, just out of the box, "only displayed in a showroom".
    When I went to take a look it had a "2 tokens per play" sticker on the front, the left ramp was blown out, scoop hole had visible wear, playfield was pretty dirty...
    Must've been a real busy showroom.

ya lots of showrooms do tokens???
    had the same deal in az a few years back buying a small spyder sport car, it had a bad seam line and them japs build them tight- so i started digging and there was 4 pulled through fasteners in rear engine compartment and the slighest crease in the rear lower bumper under the plate- dang things been hit- i told him they backed into something.... he looked me strait in the face- he said "no i have the car fax" this cars has no accidents.... and im looking at a thouand plus body damage to with no accidents.

sorry for digressing

#17 11 years ago

They could simply say . . New, out of box.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

he looked me strait in the face- he said "no i have the car fax" this cars has no accidents.... and im looking at a thouand plus body damage to with no accidents.

Generally if a dealer made the repair it doesn't show up. If a body shop did, it does.

LTG : )

#19 11 years ago

I think insurance claims factor into it to but I'm not 100% certain. now I'm reminded of a person I dated briefly said she had never been married because she had a wedding annulled. yup. sure. you had a wedding ceremony and a reception and lived as husband and wife. but you weren't married. maybe a demo game is a mulligan! redo!!!!

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

just my take on things and i have been wrong on many things befor- demos are only called new by the people selling them because its sound better than the other alt- "used" or preowend if you want to go that route...
    but i know what new in theory means- unplayed, unshot, it means not used-
    now i cut cars some slack- because once its build im sure they get in on the trailer, get it to various ship points and what ever and drive it as part as its logistics delivery.
    as far as quailty control at the factory, again its part of the manfacture process it self- if they cycle the machine turn it on or test fire a round to check for defective, im cool with that..
    but itemes setting in a show room are different- you cant be playing balls through a machine, shooting the gun at the range, and still be new----- just because it dont have a privet owner its still being used and therfor not new- (except for the seller he will always say its what ever to get a best price) its all spin-------
    would you say i want a "new" jag thats has had 10- 10 mile test drives on salted road in winter- or rather have one with out- them??? well there new and theres new i guess.
    a Simpsons with a hand full of games- how ever exactly many that is supose to be??? might be a sweet deal and a hell of a nice game- but its not a new game......

I got my mazda cx5 with 3 miles on it. Since i had to order it direct no one else ever got to test drive it to add any miles. Being the geek I am, that had me quite happy.

#21 11 years ago

Out of box and not played, OK, call it new.(maybe they just took out batteries)
    Out of box, legs put on, game played = not new anymore.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Out of box and not played, OK, call it new.(maybe they just took out batteries)
    Out of box, legs put on, game played = not new anymore.

I like how we as buyers try to define what the seller calls it. If you don't buy it 'new'. Someone else most likely will.

If they have ten avengers at a distributor, I'll take the one in the box and pay full price. I'll ask for a bit off if they want to move the floor model. If all they have left is the floor model and it's a desirable game. Well, they can pretty much call it whatever they want.

#23 11 years ago

Call it what it is. If the boards on pinside flame on people calling HUO without documentation. Then how does the logic work when it is a dealer and there is no box and it is on the floor.

Sorry that is a display model and should not cost the same as NIB. Others have been playing it.

That would be the auto dealer getting out the drill and rolling off 10,000 miles off the odometer the easy way?? Then saying it is new cause they reset its odometer.

Try to take tires back and see what they say about this new but installed logic =) if the nubs are gone off of it they are non returnable under any circumstance.

There is no situation where I would refer to out of the box as new. You are taking there word for it and how many years has it been since you could deal on a handshake?

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Generally if a dealer made the repair it doesn't show up. If a body shop did, it does.
    LTG : )

Take this a step further...if an insurance company makes any kind of payment towards a repair, it is reported, dealer or body shop. If the owner pays cash for repair, and it's.... say under $1500 it may never get reported.

Carfax is a guide, it's not the bottom line.

#25 11 years ago

If it's out of box I prefer the term "like new".

#26 11 years ago

The word 'new' to describe anything in this situation but a game still in the box is meaningless. Your going to pay $X for game in the box, never opened. You should be able to state to pay something less than $X if the game is out of the box. It isn't a car. It's more like a television, a computer or a toy. Nobody looks for an odometer showing how long the showroom demo television was on, how many times the computer was turned on or if someone played with the toy. All they care about is if it is still in the sealed box or not.

This is especially important if you intend to keep the game in the box as an investment, the same way people keep toys in packages and resell them later. Collectors love that sort of thing. Yeah, new is still in the box and out the box is no longer new.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-it-bother-anyone-else-when-people-say-a-game-is-new-but-its-out-of-the-box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.