Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pb.jpg
image-1.jpg
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

Pinball are entertainment, much like movies....and you have drama/action/comedy in movies. Why can't you have selection and mood among pinball machines?

#52 9 years ago

Funny in pinball only adds to the fun. South Park is still a huge earner on route because the machine is also super funny. Look at TSPP, FH & FG. How bout RFM? RFM's Alien Abduction scene has some of the funniest call outs ever. Hearing Bill Clinton's voice say..."Save the interns." "Take the first lady." and "Can you fellas take this dress." are beyond hilarious and get me laughing every time. LOL

So, putting some funny in with my fun is definitely a plus for me.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

I would say no.

Finally someone with some guts to swim against the current!
-mof

#54 9 years ago

Of course! Easiest answer ever. Humor and fun are joined at the hip. A serious-themed pin has to reach a much higher standard to be fun compared with a game that is continuously making you smile or laugh.

I'll throw out one of my favorites:
In TSPP, when you have an outline drain on ball 3, you receive a taunting "Ha ha!" From Nelson.

#55 9 years ago

I find the Harem Sneak-in animations in my TOTAN funny:

Sneak-in 1: our hero sneaks past the guard
Sneak-in 2: His eyes pop out of his head as he peeks over the pillows
Sneak-in 3: he runs through the harem, chased by the guard

When you hit the skill shot, the dizzy snake is pretty funny.

#56 9 years ago

Humor + insult = epic win. I love the insults in CSI:

"Have you suffered from some blunt force trauma?"
"That's the first case I've seen of coagulated nerves"
"TOD is NOW." (TOD = time of death)

Of course CSI does have a lot of jokes that would make even a dad groan. They've grown on me, though.

#57 9 years ago

Let's not forget the inside jokes that designers sneak into their games. There are the cows, of course, but how many have some sort of variation on "move your car!" Or references to past machines?

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Does Humor belong in Pinball?
I think paying 8K for a new machine has to be some kind of a joke.

Even 6 and7 k is the biggest joke in pinball. many don't get the joke.

#59 9 years ago

100%. Humour should be in your life. It should be in your pin as well. "Even make-up can't hide your ugly driving"

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I also like spiderman for the custom JJJ call outs

Quoted from swampfire:

Humor + insult = epic win.

I agree with both of these. I think that's why I like the gofers as much as I do. They taunt, tease, and insult you. Spiderman wouldn't be nearly as much fun without JJJ telling you to "play better!" or insulting you. I've got that one set to high insult, and occasionally hit the buttons while it's in attract mode just to see what he fusses at me about that time. RFM is outright funny, and I do giggle when the aliens start jiggling. I do enjoy my other games of course, but it makes it a little more interactive and the game seem a bit more "alive" when it's talking back to you and humorously taunting you.

#61 9 years ago

WMS have always been the kings of pinball comedy. The earliest example for me is Earthshaker's "Oooh, bitchin!"

#62 9 years ago

I love the funny call outs. That's one reason I enjoyed MM and SS so much.

#63 9 years ago

Everytime a brand new I500 club pops up I think....
MOVE YOUR CAR....
....to the existing I500 club.

#64 9 years ago

That driver took a wrong turn....

#65 9 years ago

Metallica has a lot of humour,Sparky,the snake puking on the DMD.

#66 9 years ago

Get the extra ball!---Ya Weiner!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#67 9 years ago

To me, this is Sterns biggest failure. Licenced games have little scope for humor
I don't want to own a game that has no humor

Avengers has some GREAT comedy. Hulk is very funny on that game, Loki has some great lines as well, including "That's no fair...I was watching the dot matrix!!!"

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

Dracula in Monster Bash is my all time favorite.
"I will mezmorize you with my semi-circular movement!"
"I'm Count Dracula and you're not!"
"Do you think you can hit dis bat with dat ball?"

So many great quotes in that game. My favorites are the really rare ones (at least I very seldomly hear them)...like the when the doctor says he's going to flip the switch. One time he chuckled and said, "hee hee hee...flip!" ONE TIME I've heard that...in owning the machine for four years!!!

Also love the blood curdling scream if you get more than a 10,000,000 bonus.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from jms121:

Metallica has a lot of humour,Sparky,the snake puking on the DMD.

Sparky has become the new Rudy. It's even funnier if you just look at the DMD animations, when that poor bastard is getting his face smashed in and drumsticks plunged through his ear canals.

"Can I shock you toooooooooo?!?!"

#70 9 years ago

Nothing funny about old age...
pb.jpgpb.jpg

#71 9 years ago

FH, NGG, MM etc many funny quotes and w/o humor pinbal would be so boring. Even pretalking machines often have some great and humorous artwork with incredible detail or serious themes so well done. I love this aspect of the games.

#72 9 years ago

so you wanna mouse around?
lets get outta here

#73 9 years ago

To me, this is Sterns biggest failure. Licenced games have little scope for humor. I don't want to own a game that has no humor

I was going to agree with your point, and then a few people pointed out that a few of their licensed themes were comedy TV/movies.

When Stern choses to do a comedy-theme licensed pin, they do a good job at it:
TSPP, AP, (FG/Shrek)

-mof

#74 9 years ago

To me, this is Sterns biggest failure. Licenced games have little scope for humor. I don't want to own a game that has no humor

To improve on your point, I think the issue isn't as much about Stern as much as it is about their choice to use Licensed themes exclusively for the last (13 years) -- a choice I hope they'll shift on in the future.

Stern's last comedy theme was: FG/Shrek in (2007-8).

JJP recently went with two licensed fantasy themes that I would not consider "camp/silly/funny" pins... To be fair I haven't seen The Hobbit yet, but I'm going to take a chance and assert that it's not going to be a comedy pin. (If my guess is wrong that's perfectly fine.)

I think my conclusion from this discussion is that, it's not an issue of:

1. manufacturer

but much more so an issue of:

1. technology/era (system 11's forward)
2. non-licensed pins

That is to say -- licensed NON-COMEDY pins, REALLY lock you into being true to that theme -- (such as an action hero theme.)

My initial conclusion from this discussion, is:

I MISS non-licensed themes for the camp, fun and silliness, and Spooky just woke me up to that fact (something I hadn't given much thought to.) I look forward to the day when the bigger players can afford to gamble more on non-licensed themes -- and when they do, I hope they delight us once again with great humor.

-mof

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

JJP recently went with two licensed fantasy themes that I would not consider "camp/silly/funny" pins... To be fair I haven't seen The Hobbit yet, but I'm going to take a chance and assert that it's not going to be a comedy pin. (If my guess is wrong that's perfectly fine.)

There are actually many funny quotes in WOZ. The witch throws out some taunts, one that always makes me smile is, "My monkey plays better than you", and the other characters also have some one liners.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

There are actually many funny quotes in WOZ. The witch throws out some taunts, one that always makes me smile is, "My monkey plays better than you", and the other characters also have some one liners.

That's good to hear !
-mof

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

That is to say -- licensed NON-COMEDY pins, REALLY lock you into being true to that theme -- (such as an action hero theme.)

I gotta go ahead and disagree with you. Iron Man has a ton of humor. Off hand, here are a few quotes I remember:

"Peace, yeah I love peace." - Tony
"Gimme a scotch, I'm starving!" - Tony
"If you'd killed him when you had the chance, you'd still have a face." - The Dude

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from scylla:

I still laugh each time I play CC and it says: "Lock is lit and so am I"

Or the classic "They tied miss polly to the tracks ... and I think she likes it" line from the Mayor.

/oh wait, that's not in the stock game.

#79 9 years ago

I think champion pub has my favorite humor and drunken multiball is epic

#80 9 years ago

Yes, especially suttle hints in art package

#81 9 years ago

Question asked: "Does Humor belong in Pinball?"
My answer: Yes, it does but it is not necessary in all titles. I look forward to hitting my funny-bone every now and again while playing my pins. ((and I oftentimes find myself gravitating more towards to my humorous pins))

~Steveo

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Or the classic "They tied miss polly to the tracks ... and I think she likes it" line from the Mayor.
/oh wait, that's not in the stock game.

How did you get the added quotes to match the original so well. Were they on the roms? "That's one strange looking gecko" (or close to that) wasn't in the original was it?

1 week later
#83 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I gotta go ahead and disagree with you. Iron Man has a ton of humor. Off hand, here are a few quotes I remember:
"Peace, yeah I love peace." - Tony
"Gimme a scotch, I'm starving!" - Tony
"If you'd killed him when you had the chance, you'd still have a face." - The Dude

Also my personal favorite Tony Stark quote, when you really mess up a mode or multiball: "well, uh, that went well..."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-humor-belong-in-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.