Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pb.jpg
image-1.jpg
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Spooky just released some video gameplay of their latest title, AMH and it's really funny to listen to.

The freshness of this humor struck a chord with me. I'm going to assert that Camp and Silliness have been missing from pinball for a *LONG* time. What do you think?

1. Name a pinball machine you think is really funny (you might catch yourself repeating some of the phrases in it, to be silly...)
2. Describe WHY you think it stands out as a funny pin.
3. Does humor belong in pinball? Is it good for pinball?
4. Link a video to demonstrate what you find funny (if possible...)
5. If you get thumbs up on your entry, I'll add the machine up top in the list.
6. If you have a long list of faves, I might suggest -- make one post with your favorite for "thumbs up", and post a second with your list... (it's often tough to thumbs up a list)

If the thread warrants it, we'll have a poll for funniest pin of all time, but first let's see if there are even 10 titles that come to mind...

If you agree with another person's choice for "a funny machine" -- please thumbs up the dude...

-mof

#2 9 years ago

The first machine that ever cracked me up was Funhouse.
"Go make yourself a hotdog!"
I knew I was hooked when I caught myself repeating lines from the pin...
Even my GF knows some of the lines, and we don't own one...
-mof

#3 9 years ago

My nomination for funniest pin (since Funhouse) is AMH.
I just listened to the gameplay vids a few times and really appreciated the humor.
I won't spoil it for you, go check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/80ci47Xsfqo?autoplay=1&rel=0
-mof

#4 9 years ago

Monster Bash can be kind of silly. Especially Lyman's Lament; that always gives me a chuckle (when I see someone else play it). There's enough bad s**t in this world that I think humor is good for MOST things (not all); pinball being one of them where it fits well.

#5 9 years ago

I'm a doctor, not a pinball wizard!

#6 9 years ago

how about bone busters when he laughs at you when you lose the ball, he calls you a bonehead while you are playing

#7 9 years ago

1 - Bill Paxton (

)

2 - It's damn funny and raises hell with my religious customers.

3 - Humor belongs in pinball. And is good for pinball. When times are good, bad, or tough. Everyone needs a good laugh and a lot of fun. Pinball is part of coin op entertainment, not coin op job.

LTG : )™

#8 9 years ago

Of course humor belongs in pinball. I thoroughly enjoy games that have it, and those that don't, but the games with humor tend to be my favorite. FH, MM, AFM, TAF are ALL great games with excellent humor.

#9 9 years ago

Scared Stiff and EATPM win hands down in the humor dept for me. The double entendres are over the top in such a great way.

"You're giving me multiple jackpots!"
"he always wanted a little head"
"That thing is huge... and ribbed."

#10 9 years ago

To some people around here it doesn't, which boggles the mind; but then some people are just f*&^faces.

AFM
RFM
WH20
FH
etc etc.

I rank CP high on this...I like the smack talking and music with the guys you're fighting.

#11 9 years ago

There are pins that need to be serious and cool, but I do like a nice and cheesy pin with a large humor factor between the serious ones. Games I've played that matched this cheesyness are MM, AFM, RFM and TFTC.

#12 9 years ago

Does it belong in pinball? Yes of course.

Is it easy to write comedy? Hell no.

#13 9 years ago

obviously yes. it's only pinball. the #1 ranked game is a faux monty python pin, so i think it's safe to say the majority agrees.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Is it easy to write comedy? Hell no.

Agree.
-mof

#16 9 years ago

I love the humor in games

First real intro to it was MM. hahah the call outs were hilarious.

#17 9 years ago

Most modern pinballs are best with a sense of humor, or at least some whimsy.

#18 9 years ago

RFM always gets me laughing, the Clinton stuff.. the Italian "you Martians have too many arms, I no like".. the Mars needs women mode..

Also, Sopranos got me laughing so hard the first time I heard the call out, "he had a bad case of *uck faceites.

#19 9 years ago

Dracula in Monster Bash is my all time favorite.

"I will mezmorize you with my semi-circular movement!"
"I'm Count Dracula and you're not!"
"Do you think you can hit dis bat with dat ball?"

#20 9 years ago

When I played STTNG at the pinball museum in Las Vegas, I could've sworn Capt. Picard, upon the Borg invasion says, "Number one, we need more balls!" I laughed my ass off. It was the first time I played STTNG. I now own one and have purchased the speech chips but no statements about balls, unfortunately.

#21 9 years ago

The obvious Monty Python inspired humor in medieval madness is what I like best about the machine. It is more of a tribute to it than a rip-off though.

#22 9 years ago

I love talking back to my Gofers. Bud and Buzz have several lines that crack me up, but especially this one that calls back to Lawlor's Whirlwind:

(Lightining noises, crazy light flashing, wheel spinning like crazy...)

Bud: Now... head for the cellar!
Buzz: You're in the wrong game, idiot!

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

RFM always gets me laughing,

That Martian laying low in the Broccoli is probably my favorite pinball moment ever. Never gets old.

#24 9 years ago

CP is hilarious! Fisticuffs Multiball and Spittin' Gallery...need I say more?

#25 9 years ago

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet, but Steve Richie's voices in ACDC are hilarious. I particularly like the attract mode comments.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 9 years ago

I still laugh each time I play CC and it says: "Lock is lit and so am I"

#27 9 years ago

At work so I can't thoroughly respond but YES YES YES. It makes you get hooked on the machine and even if it gets old over time hearing the same things it's good for getting people who are not previously pinball enthusiasts interested in a machine and putting their quarters in it and better yet getting hooked on pinball!

#28 9 years ago

For me the funniest thing is not actually a callout, but when the Martians "attack" on AFM. As soon as they start jiggling, I start giggling.

#29 9 years ago

YES! Some of my favorite tables are the ones with a sense of humor. It adds to the fun

#30 9 years ago

I don't know how Family Guy hasn't been mentioned until NOW.

#31 9 years ago

To me, this is Sterns biggest failure. Licenced games have little scope for humor
I don't want to own a game that has no humor

#32 9 years ago

Would the original "springy noise" tilt warning from early Data East games qualify as humorous, or was it only funny to me because I was barely a teenager?

#33 9 years ago

If we include future pinball, then the game would have to be- The Three Stooges!

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

To me, this is Sterns biggest failure. Licenced games have little scope for humor

Oddly enough Sopranos always makes me smile.
Super jackpot and the big fucking points always get me.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

. I'm going to assert that Camp and Silliness have been missing from pinball for a *LONG* time.

...not been missing for a long time if what you mostly play is older games.

"HEY YOU WITH THE FACE!"

image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg

#36 9 years ago

Does humor belong in pinball?

"No!"
-Gary Stern

#37 9 years ago

Licensed games have little scope for humor.

How so? Can you site some examples?
-mof

#38 9 years ago

Unless they are funny licenses like TSPP, Family Guy and Shrek.

#39 9 years ago

What pins tend to have no humor, camp, or silliness?

Is this based on an era?
Is this based on a manufacturer?
Is this based on type of theme?
Is there no pattern?

-mof

#40 9 years ago

I think I have 3 sci-fi themes that have voice chips but no humor:

1. Embryon
2. Space Station
3. Black Hole

While I have one sci-fi pin with some humor:

1. Space Shuttle (the guy falling when you drain or randomize AWAY from a free-ball/replay)

So I'd venture to guess that sci-fi themes don't always warrant humor. I don't feel it's missing from these three.

-mof

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I think I have 3 sci-fi themes that have voice chips but no humor:
1. Embryon
2. Space Station
3. Black Hole
While I have one sci-fi pin with some humor:
1. Space Shuttle (the guy falling when you drain or randomize AWAY from a free-ball/replay)
So I'd venture to guess that sci-fi themes don't always warrant humor. I don't feel it's missing from these three.
-mof

I am not going to hold it against BH and Embryon to not having humor, early SS days

I like wH2O, it always makes me smile, I also like Spiderman for the custom JJJ call outs

#42 9 years ago

I am not going to hold it against BH and Embryon to not having humor, early SS days...

Well, my Centaur (fantasy) and Fathom (fantasy), Sorcerer (fantasy) have good humor mixed in with their serious themes, so humor was possible pre-sys 11.

But I think it's fair to say humor is easier to accomplish, and much more prominent in sys11s and forward.

-mof

#43 9 years ago

Does Humor belong in Pinball?

I think paying 8K for a new machine has to be some kind of a joke.

#44 9 years ago

YES! Humour is one of my favourite things in pinball and really goes a long way to endearing a game to me.

Judge Dredd definitely need to be on there. I'm not a big fan of the gameplay but the theme, art and humour is just top notch:

The sniper tower mode features a guy screaming "I can see my house from here" while falling from the tower, and being impaled on a fence with a dog pissing on his body at the bottom.

The Super Game "Move Your Car!" modes are hilarious, and have brutal animations.

And to top it off, Dredd perving through binoculars on a couple having sex.

Another that isn't in the list yet: Indianapolis 500! There are a couple of callouts that I find hilarious.

"We haven't seen a shot to the turbo yet from this driver, Bobby!"
"That's right Paul, he may not even know that upper flipper is there!"

And the Wrong Turn mode where the driver loses his way, leaves the race track and drives on the streets. Every hole you shoot has a funny animation: Indy Car at the drive thru, stuck in traffic (with another "Move Your Car!" reference, asking farmer for directions.

#45 9 years ago

To all the humorless twits out there. Please stop playing pinball, now.

Thank you.

#46 9 years ago

I find them all humorous. Almost as funny as some of the stuff I find here.

#47 9 years ago

I love games from pre1985, that is what Igrew up playing

But the sys11 era, eeverything just seemed to fall into place for pinball

#48 9 years ago

This a joke ?

#49 9 years ago

TFTC , crypt keepers laugh

#50 9 years ago

I would say no. Games I've had that are humor-heavy have been sold the fastest, namely Scared Stiff.

Prefer action/humorless games for the most part. BSD, T3, Shadow.

JD may be the only exception, I like the weird humor in it (the guy getting impaled on the fence and dog pissing on him etc).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Stratford, CT
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 1,139.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.50
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 75.00
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-humor-belong-in-pinball/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.