Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ABE_FLIPS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unbenannt (resized).png
    April_Wine_-_Harder_..._Faster (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gornkleschnitzer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 4 years ago

Depending on the way the flipper button switches (leaf only) are configured on your game, pressing the buttons very hard may actually result in a weaker flip, due to leaf blade bounce cutting the flipper power in tiny intervals. I've seen games with old/weak flippers to begin with, in which pressing the button softly will get a ball all the way up a ramp, while pressing it hard will not.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

A little bit OT here... how it comes that i have more ball controll on my old williams 1987 "fire" pin than on modern sterns? if i release the button on the old machine, the flipper will drop instantly. On the newer stern games there seems to be a little delay until the flipper drops, which makes ball control harder and more frustrating. If i'm fast, i can lift off my whole hand for a quick moment and push the button again, and the flipper didnt go down in between. I did inspect the switch of the button during this test and its definitely disconected for a moment. Is this a software thing? Or can i finetune this?

Somebody who has worked on actual Sterns can correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume Stern uses computer-controlled flippers, which means they are not directly connected to the switches. When a signal is received that the switch has closed, the computer turns on the particular driver transistor that controls the associated flipper(s). My guess is that they are programmed so a certain period of time must have elapsed with no switch connection before the computer will turn off the driver and thus lower the flipper. Presumably this is done to mitigate the effect of a not-quite-perfect switch contact. Not sure if this is adjustable or just the way it is on those games.

(Source: I built my own game with electronically-controlled flippers, and they worked exactly like that until I revised the software and hardware design.)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gornkleschnitzer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-hitting-the-buttons-harder-help?tu=Gornkleschnitzer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.