(Topic ID: 186246)

Does playfield ghosting always get worse....

By PinMagnet

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by phlach
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

This insert ghosting issue on GB and other games...Does it usually get worse or no? Should I expect a solid white insert a year or so from now if the insert has white along the edges? Thanks

#2 7 years ago

This is a good question that I am also interested in. Will the clear coat start to chip if the ghosting gets large enough?

#3 7 years ago

Apparently no one knows.

#4 7 years ago

Not sure if clear will chip or create functional issues but it will get worse, more unsightly, and that will affect the resale value of the pin for sure. I saw a GB Pro in the field that looked really bad, don't think it was that bad right out of the box.

#5 7 years ago

Put some ointment on it, that should clear it up in a few weeks

#6 7 years ago

Inserts on old BW games ghosted too. some get worse, some do not. i guess CV and TOTAN were really bad.

#7 7 years ago

Well, one thing is for sure, it'll never get better.

It's hard to say how much worse ghosting can get, as it varies from game to game. Some games will continue to get worse over time to the point of clearcoat cracking over inserts and inserts sinking or lifting. Other games will just show the ghosting on the inserts, but they'll stay level. It's a cause for concern, but it can be addressed if things start to get bad.

#8 7 years ago

Ghosting does not always equal chipping. But if the ghosting gets severe enough and the ball impacts the area with the right velocity and or angle of impact, chipping may occur. Ghosthing doesnt always get bigger. At one point it will stop, whether it as consumed the entire insert or partially

#9 7 years ago

On my SMVE that I bought Oct 2016, ghosting was apparent after just a few days of use on at least 25% of the inserts. On a monthly basis since then I have seen the ghosting stay the same on some inserts, and slowly get worse on others. No chipping so far, but ghosting on at least 75% of the inserts as of this writing.

I contacted Stern shortly after delivery, and within a month had assurances my playfield would be replaced. I just got the call a few days ago that my new playfield was ready and that they were sending me the shipping box for the swap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.50
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-ghosting-always-get-worse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.