(Topic ID: 13561)

Does Fish Tales hold up in a small collection?

By johnkinkokomo

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

Have a trade deal worked out on a Fish Tales. How does it do in a small collection of say 3 games? The other two are T3 and BH. Have lurked here for a while and finally decided to join up. Seems a little more friendly here than RGP...

#2 12 years ago

Welcome, it is definitely more friendly, I don't even go on RGP anymore people in here are 99% better.

I actually had Fish Tales in a small collection originally, was first game I owned and I loved it! I had 3 games as well and had it along with Earthshaker and a newer POTC. Ended up trading out Fish Tales not too long ago just to shake up my collection since I had it so long and I am actually regretting it and want one back.

Game is simple overall but SO many great shots and challenges I don't think it ever gets old.

#3 12 years ago

I have a 3 pin collection with FT being one of them. I think as long as you have an easier game to go along with it it's a fine pin for a smaller collection. It can give you short ball times if you can't hit your shots.

Welcome to Pinside, BTW!

#4 12 years ago

I play FT more than all my other games put together. With that said my wife won't play it. She says it's too difficult, but that's what keeps me pressing start.

#5 12 years ago

I have fishtales, potc,afm,wh20,fh, and space odyssey and there are many times i only fire up fishtales. It is one of my faves and never gets old!

#6 12 years ago

I had 4 games upstairs which is the most played too
Cuz it's handy and doesn't need "powered up" and when family is over its the main room. Of Addams family, spiderman, csi, and fish tales, FT was the favorite of the guests.

Based on T3, BBH and Ft you will probably find FT to be the favorite! Go for it!

#7 12 years ago

Easy to play, hard to master. FT is one of the very best for novices and pros. There's a reason why they get the most play in a collection!

#8 12 years ago

Awesome game IMO, even in a collection of 1 I will never sell mine, unless it's to get one in perfect condition..

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Easy to play, hard to master. FT is one of the very best for novices and pros. There's a reason why they get the most play in a collection!

+1
Firebaall called it. There are very few games out there that you can say this about. Approachable for guests and non-pinheads, but lots of challenge in there for the pro too. I think MM is another pin like this (although I'm hardly comparing the two).

I played this game a ton when it was released (along with T2 and TAF; another approachable yet challenging pin) and I don't think it gets the respect it deserves. Like whitewater, I think FT is a bit of a sleeper that, in 12-18 months, you won't find for less than $2500-$3000. I would pick it up if the deal is right. You won't regret it and it seems to be hot right now since clean examples are hard to find.

I was looking for one for months and just picked up a good routed example for $2k shipped. Since it has zero PF wear due to factory Mylar on the PF, I feel like I made out great on the deal.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Awesome game IMO, even in a collection of 1 I will never sell mine, unless it's to get one in perfect condition..

I think that is pretty dead on.....great game

#11 12 years ago

FT was my first and only pin for several years. It's a favorite of guests and still kicks my butt after all these years.

#12 12 years ago

Fish Tales was my 2nd pin. I would never sell it!!! I have 12 pins now and I play FT as much or more often than the others.
Mike in Kentucky

Post edited by Pintucky : Corrected grammar mistake.

#13 12 years ago

FT certainly holds up in a small collection.

#14 12 years ago

I've owned a FT since Sept 2011. It's not going anywhere, haha. I'm not so sure that the price for FT will escalate that rapidly, though, since there were 13,000+ of them made. Of course, as was the case back in '95, I could be wrong.

#15 12 years ago

I've had 2. Fun game. One of the IPPL members in Columbus wants one - if you pass, or want to play for awhile and flip.

#16 12 years ago

14 years in my collection....until last month.

14 years of challenges...they never stopped. Could never completely, consistently master.

The right, left, right, left shot messes with me!!

A winner all around.

#17 12 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I am excited to pick this one up. One of the big reasons being it has to be torn down and completely shopped. I think I may enjoy this part more than actually playing. To get these things all 100% just makes me smile. I just need to get better at board work...

#18 12 years ago

I like FT. Great shots and flow, goofy humor and silly music. Watch the original promo video for a good laugh!

#19 12 years ago

I miss my FT, one of the most addictive pins ever!!!!

#20 12 years ago

I'll add another "yes". Unless you hate the country(ish) music, I don't think there is a pinball collection that FT wouldn't fit into.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I bought 3 FT and used all the best parts to make my Franken Tales.
Had the handle chromed by Mike C. and added the proto lighted launch button.
Whitewater sits next to it, you have to have the set.
FT is a keeper for me and gets played a lot.
Love the long cast and slap shot into the Caster's club.
Catch a ball on each flipper during multiball and make the crossover on the boat ramp is great when you can pull it off.
If it is set up right the game is very fast, if the wrong size post rubber is used on the left exit loop the ball get deflected SDTM, this one rubber can turn the game into a suckfest.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Unless you hate the country(ish) music

That's the only reason why I sold mine..That music got on my freaking nerves

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from johnkinkokomo:

Thanks for all the replies. I am excited to pick this one up. One of the big reasons being it has to be torn down and completely shopped. I think I may enjoy this part more than actually playing. To get these things all 100% just makes me smile. I just need to get better at board work...

+1
I'm doing the exact same with mine when it arrives... and its nice and dirty! Can't wait to peel up that Mylar and see a shiny new PF underneath. Not sure if yours has bad cabinet fade, but Joey at PDI has great silk screened decals (I'm assuming old Pheonix Arcade stock?). I scored a set before the prices got jacked, but still, they are high quality. Have fun!

#24 12 years ago

Like what I am reading
Have a ft coming in 2-3 weeks
It will be 1/3 of my collection

#25 12 years ago

I think I need to spend more time with FT as I currently do not think it is anything special. I played quite a few games on the 2 at MGC and just did not see the appeal for being [art of the home collection. I actually love the theme as I love bass fishing, but i found the game play to be very repetitive and it did not seem very difficult.

I must be missing something. I am going to make a note that I need to play one for a bit more time in a more isolated setting. Unfortunately I do not know of any in the wild in my area.

#26 12 years ago

I'm not so sure I would want FT in a small lineup. Alot depends on your skill level. I don't have the shot's down yet in my muscle memory, so it's a butt kicker for me.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think I need to spend more time with FT as I currently do not think it is anything special.

It's at its best when you get several modes going at once, monster fish, feeding frenzy, rock the boat, any of those and a jackpot thrown in and that's when it shines.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Great shots and flow, goofy humor and silly music.

You just nailed it! If I could only keep only 3 pins FT would be on the list. I don't like the music and I don't care much for fishing, but it makes me ha,ha,ha on a regular basis.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from Loupie:

PNBLWZD said:Great shots and flow, goofy humor and silly music.
You just nailed it! If I could only keep only 3 pins FT would be on the list. I don't like the music and I don't care much for fishing, but it makes me ha,ha,ha on a regular basis.

This says a lot given your lineup. It's just a fun machine to walk up to and play. Not deep, but fun.

#30 12 years ago

Welcome to the community

I don't own one so hard to say but I really enjoy playing FT alot.
Location or virtual.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Whysnow said:I think I need to spend more time with FT as I currently do not think it is anything special.
It's at its best when you get several modes going at once, monster fish, feeding frenzy, rock the boat, any of those and a jackpot thrown in and that's when it shines.

Interesting comment. I'd say if you're into stacking modes, FT is not your game. There are many better ones out there for that.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I'd say if you're into stacking modes, FT is not your game. There are many better ones out there for that.

Agreed. FT is all about the Jackpots, which are the most satisfying things EVER to hit.

It's definitely in my top 3 in our collection. Right up there with Tron LE and IJ.

#33 12 years ago

FT was the second pin I ever got. It holds up very nicely. I don't think I'd ever sell mine.

#34 12 years ago

FT is one of my favorite games in my collection.

#35 12 years ago

Great game two big thumbs up all day long

#36 12 years ago

Great game two big thumbs up all day long

#37 12 years ago

You can say that again mickthepin! lol

#38 12 years ago

I bought one about 2 years ago thinking I would keep it for a bit and move on. Well it's still here and I don't plan on selling it either. I need to fix a few things, but the game is just fun and it's easy to just play a few games on it.

I like it in my current lineup, as the rules are pretty straight forward, and hitting the boat shots feels good when you get a few stringed together.

#39 12 years ago

K so if all goes well I will have Fish Tales tonight! Looking forward to getting it. I am really surprised by all the positive comments on this game! I hope you guys are right as you all have gotten my hopes up pretty high on this one! LOL

#40 12 years ago

Think you will like it. After you get it the long quest for super jackpots begins. It can take months to get there. I have had only 3 legitimate cracks at the super jackpots in the past year. The first time I had been chasing it for so long that I put it on easy settings and got it that way. I would not recommend this, it is unsatisfying and a lot of the charm of the game is having a goal that you are not going to get to very often. Factory settings is best but can be frustrating as hell but this forces you to pit true skill against the game. Enjoy

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

Think you will like it. After you get it the long quest for super jackpots begins. It can take months to get there.

I have had mine about 3 months now I'd guess, and I hit the super jackpot on the 4th day I had it. I'm not bragging, because I haven't come close to it since and when I hit it I had the lightning flippers still on it. Since then I put green flipper bats with yellow rubber on it. I think it looks better, but it doesn't seem to play any easier!

It's a fun game, but if you are off it can punish you!

#42 12 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

mickthepin said:Think you will like it. After you get it the long quest for super jackpots begins. It can take months to get there.
I have had mine about 3 months now I'd guess, and I hit the super jackpot on the 4th day I had it. I'm not bragging, because I haven't come close to it since and when I hit it I had the lightning flippers still on it. Since then I put green flipper bats with yellow rubber on it. I think it looks better, but it doesn't seem to play any easier!
It's a fun game, but if you are off it can punish you!

It took me 5 years. You should brag!

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

It took me 5 years. You should brag!

It was beginner's luck, it will probably be 6 months before I hit it again.

#44 12 years ago

If you concentrate STRICTLY on the lock shot, it's not that hard.

If you have the ball on the right flipper, then post pass over to the left to make the lock shot. I also try and drop catch or live catch the first initial plunge with the left flipper, then shoot the lock.

One key is actually being able to make the jackpot shot when you need it. If you can't make that left orbit consistently, then you won't get anywhere. I also try and get multiple jackpots in one multiball, that way you don't have to restart and lock 3 balls all over again...

Just a few tips...

#45 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

If you have the ball on the right flipper, then post pass over to the left to make the lock shot. I also try and drop catch or live catch the first initial plunge with the left flipper, then shoot the lock.

I can backhand the lock shot off the right flipper on mine. Got Master of Salt Water Fishing the other night and then SDTM drained trying to hit the captive ball, PMO!

Playing other pins where multiballs are more easily obtained has actually made me much better at FT. I think I could actually kick its ass now if I put some time in.

#46 12 years ago

I can't backhand that shot, unless I tap it off the post, let it roll up the flipper more, then backhand it.

I can get to Super Jackpot all the time on mine, but I've played it alot, and know every little nuance of my game

#47 12 years ago

^^^^ Uses regular sized flippers..

#48 12 years ago

John, if/when you get tired of the FT, I know a guy down in Columbus who wants one. Drop me a line when the time comes, and I'll put you guys in touch.

#49 12 years ago

Mine has lightning flippers, not regular flippers...

#50 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Mine has lightning flippers, not regular flippers...

Ohhh, I thought you said that you hated lightnings in the past. Maybe it was your youtube video?

sorry about that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 169.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-fish-tales-hold-up-in-a-small-collection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.