(Topic ID: 172159)

Does "firm" pricing work against the buyer or seller?

By embryonjohn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Taxman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).png
    #1 7 years ago

Does firm mean firm or pretty damn close and does feeling forced into firm pricing affect length of ownership?
    Everyone likes to know/think they got a good deal on a pinball machine and we all have buddies willing to hold on to a marginal game that they bought at rock bottom pricing only to boast about the price and never play the damn thing. Is it just me or does anyone else see a relationship between the length of ownership, buying circumstances and the seller/buyer feeling like they came up on top?

#2 7 years ago

download (resized).pngdownload (resized).png

#3 7 years ago

Nothing is ever "firm". Doesn't matter if you are negotiating to buy a pinball machine or having inter country discussions. There is always room for negotiation in every circumstance.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

does feeling forced into firm pricing affect length of ownership?

Who is forcing whom? Too expensive? Don't buy it. Offer too low? Don't accept it.

#5 7 years ago

If your pricing is firm, you love the game and you don't really want to sell. You're going to be hanging onto it for a while, most likely.

People love getting a deal, even if it's just a small amount. It will make the game sell faster. My wife used to list things on craigslist for the exact price she wanted to get. Everyone would ask her if she would take less and when she said no it wouldn't sell. I told her to ask $30 for an item she wanted to get $20 for. As normal, someone asked if she'd take $20 for it, she'd say yes and it'd sell right away. Same price, buyer just feels like they got a deal.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Nothing is ever "firm". There is always room for negotiation in every circumstance.

Not true. If my ad says price is firm that's the price you'll pay. Firm to me means no negotiating. And if you try to just negotiate about something other than price instead I'll simply send you on your way empty handed.

It means different things to different people. It works against neither side.

#7 7 years ago

Firm to me means don't waste your or my time with offers that aren't in the ballpark. Personally if I say firm I'm in no rush to sell it for less or waste time shadow dancing. My games sell very close to asking because of a fair price and good to very good condition.

I will also pay above market for condition.

#8 7 years ago

My prices are almost always firm and my games sell fast.

I usually price my games for a quick, no BS sale though.

I just think too many people feel like they need to come out on top. I truly want both parties happy.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I truly want both parties happy.

I always thought of the pinball community as a self-policing state.

#10 7 years ago

It depends on the audience you're selling to.

Quoted from dothedoo:

If your pricing is firm, you love the game and you don't really want to sell. You're going to be hanging onto it for a while, most likely.
    People love getting a deal, even if it's just a small amount. It will make the game sell faster. My wife used to list things on craigslist for the exact price she wanted to get. Everyone would ask her if she would take less and when she said no it wouldn't sell. I told her to ask $30 for an item she wanted to get $20 for. As normal, someone asked if she'd take $20 for it, she'd say yes and it'd sell right away. Same price, buyer just feels like they got a deal.

For the craigslist and garage sale audience, that works great. Pretty much everyone is a bargain hunter there.

The collector community is a slightly different audience. If I think a price is fair, I won't haggle. The last few games I bought from other collectors got the price they asked for.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Not true. If my ad says price is firm that's the price you'll pay. Firm to me means no negotiating. And if you try to just negotiate about something other than price instead I'll simply send you on your way empty handed.

I might not try to negotiate the price with you - maybe I might ask if you can deliver the machine or perhaps you have a spare plastics set that I could ask you to include in the deal or swap the playfield glass with the one on the machine next to the one I want.

Negotiation is not only about price.

#12 7 years ago

Hurt? No, it is just setting the parameters for the deal. I personally hate the haggle. Always have.

When I see someone selling a game for a price and a condition I show up with that amount of cash in hand for the game. I expect the same. If there is a described condition issue that is a different story.

While there are some people who feel the need to "haggle", if it is listed as firm they should not. And the people showing up saying "I only brought X$" or "I need to go to the ATM" - GTFO and never deal with me again. I hate people who think they can get away with something.

I hate to sell. Ask people who know me, I'll give you the shirt off my back but try to screw me and you're dead to me. To make room for pins I get rid of arcade games often. And I would rather give them away for free or chop them up and take them to the dump rather than deal with some F-in A-hole. Seriously I have done both with complete working games.

#13 7 years ago

Firm means nothing to most. It means they really really really want to get their ask........but will drop down after a week of them not getting it.

#14 7 years ago

To me firm means no low balls please. Reasonable offers considered

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

+ 1 Firm means Firm

#16 7 years ago

I generally only use "firm" when I have a game priced BELOW market value for a quick sale.

It's priced firm because I already know it's priced more than fair and I don't want any BS low ball offers.

#17 7 years ago

Typically when buying if a price is "fair" I just pay the price and not look back but if something is outside a value I feel is OK I will make a respectful offer. My typical offer looks something like this "If you don't get a better offer I would be a buyer at $ --- --." Or "if you willing to do $--- -- I would be a buyer and could pick it up tomorrow".

When selling typically I price stuff fairly low and hold firm on my prices. My regular customers know this and don't even ask if I can do better. But new customers pretty much always feel the need to try to get a better deal. So when selling in the future I am seriously considering adding 10 to 15 % to my asking price just so I leave some room to haggle with buyers a little.

Personally I like just putting a price on something and not doing the dance. But these days that is getting harder to do. Most people expect you to haggle a little and when you will not it upsets a good many buyers.

To me a good bottom line price is just easier but if I need to play the game I will by raising my asking price and then haggling from their.

#18 7 years ago

Not if a buyer actually reads the content of an ad. It might be a good deal.

#19 7 years ago

I have actually more than once bought a game and while counting out the cash has the person cut $100 or more off the asking piece because I made it so easy. They expected the usual BS. I have been called a very good buyer.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-firm-pricing-work-against-the-buyer-or-seller?hl=ercvacation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.