Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mummite
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Does every creature have terrible sound? I think mine might have a speaker out, but the sound is pretty pathetic. Anyone doing upgrades with better speakers or subs or roms?

#2 10 years ago

Mine was always loud and good.

#3 10 years ago

Mine has good sound.

#4 10 years ago

No problem with the sound on mine.

#5 10 years ago

Do keep in mind that CFTBL doesn't have the DCS sound system which certainly improved sound starting with JD & IJ a year later in '93.
Not saying that CFTBL sound shouldn't be decent, but by comparison to newer games you might notice a difference.

#6 10 years ago

I find both of my WPC-S games with DCS sound have a weird die-down sound when powering the game off. Not sure if this is normal or not, but both of my WPC-S games do it.

#7 10 years ago

What I find interesting with my creature is that the theme music still plays when the game is plugged in. If you turn the volume up you can hear. Almost like they tried to mute the sound in an attract mode...

#8 10 years ago

the sound on my CftBL is great (other than the sample rates for the voice call-outs). you might want to inspect your 3 speakers and check to see if the paper is torn on any of them

#9 10 years ago

The sound is just really tinny. Sounds like all treble, no bass at all or even mid range. Board issue?

#10 10 years ago

Mine sounds great, best sounding pin I own after Congo.

#11 10 years ago

when I picked up my Creech it already had a speaker upgrade from pinball Pro (?) I can't remember is that who used to be the go to guys before flipper fidelity came around?

at any rate it has probably the best audio of all my pre DCS pins, plenty of bass and midrange.

#12 10 years ago

So where should I start looking? All the speakers work, the sound is not garbled.

#13 10 years ago

I owned one and every CFTBL I have ever heard sounded static-y. Normal IMO.

#14 10 years ago

Yeah, the sound package on CFTBL isn't one of my favorites. Tinny, not a high sample rate on some callouts and not a consistent quality rate on sampling from one callout to another. The midi-music doesn't help either.

Every CFTBL that I've done has received a speaker upgrade first thing, with anti-rattle tape on the glass. That makes it much more pleasant to listen to.

#15 10 years ago

+1 on the anti-rattle tape if your glass is loose fitting.

#16 10 years ago

I have a fish tales that has better sound range. Seems Ike both machines would have similar sound quality. Creature seems really high pitched, no bass and I mean no bass at all.

#17 10 years ago

here's one that is obvious, but busted me for a day or so.
Working on another game, I had noticed that the sound was not right...kinda thought it was just the sounds of an older game....while in the cabinet, I started looking around and a screw was lodged between the cone and the frame of the speaker...removed the screw, and fixed. Hope your fix is as simple

#18 10 years ago

I will take a look, I know this is more than just me being picky. I have played plenty of early Williams dmd machines, but this one is super high pitched

#19 10 years ago

Mine sounded just OK (I discovered some moron had stuck a lift fork thru the sub--which surely wasn't helping) until I installed a set of Flipper Fidelity speakers. Night and day difference, I can't recommend these enough. It takes this game to another level of enjoyment. Every ball hit generates a sound, which you won't notice with the stock speakers. Whoever did the sound on this game just did an outstanding job. You may or may not have another issue that is affecting your sound, but this is something you are gonna want to do if you keep the game.

I also used a set of these speakers on The Getaway, figuring I'd be blown away again. Didn't happen, the sound just isn't as detailed as it is on The Creature.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

What I find interesting with my creature is that the theme music still plays when the game is plugged in. If you turn the volume up you can hear. Almost like they tried to mute the sound in an attract mode...

I thought it was just me too. You can hear it very faint if you put your ear up to it. Wonder why they didn't have it play in attract mode.

#21 10 years ago

I updated mine to use FF speakers. sounds great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.00
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
$ 9.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.95
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-every-cftbl-have-crappy-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.