(Topic ID: 233477)

Does Dwight have a good track record of 'finishing' code?

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TKDalumni
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

codeupdate (resized).JPG
2vwgtd (resized).jpg
2vv4ug (resized).jpg
4C34C55B-DA4B-4E00-A022-051504FE73AB.gif
IMG_20190111_124930 (resized).jpg
BF0AC95E-64E9-47B2-AF18-0B1F20C2DA19 (resized).jpeg
wham (resized).JPG
cbe3f504aeb202be5c419ae15340e455cbdb8fef (resized).jpg
f7404ce53dfe0830088a72dfeb079a23a6752fbc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Serious question with the release of Munsters and Dwight on code.

Since he has been back with Stern in 2015 he has been lead code on
GOT > GB > SW > and now Munsters.

While most Stern games are seeing multiple code updates and a final polish, it appears all 3 of his games have made it to good, but lack the final polish to declare them "finished". They all still have bugs or exploits from what I know and just lack that final touchup once a game has been well vetted by the community and in the wild.

Is this the expected state of his games?

Are they just not giving him enough time or assistance to finish his older titles?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

why is everyone always so up in arms over Dwight?

nobody is up in arms.

This is an honest question based on his past 3 games. Are GOT and SW really "finished"
Is GB really getting more polish?

When I look at Stern and the perpetual issues with delayed, buggy, and sometimes very basic code on release, Lonnie used to be the common denominator but seems they have given him a bigger team to support him and we are finally seeing more polish on his games and more can now be deemed "finished".

With Dwight I see him as 3 for 3 on modern era games that are not yet "finished"

It is a reasonable question.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

No, he doesn't. In September 2017 he posted the following on the Tilt Forums re GB code:
'I want to be clear. I consider the game to be finished. I think that the game is fun and interesting as is. But there is always room for improvement.'
So it's complete, but there are two inserts that don't relate to anything in the code - including the final wizard mode?
Don't see myself buying another game coded by him for this reason alone. I have faith in Lyman, none in Dwight.

thanks. this is exactly what I was looking for. That is not good if he really considered GB as "finished"

#18 5 years ago

I am most familiar with GOT and GB. They both need polish to be complete and have issues.

It would go a long way to help future Dwight sales if they polished these games off.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I just hope the programmers don't tune into this forum too much, and if they do, I hope they have thick skin, as a lot of the topics and comments have to be really demotivating.

I think anyone on Pinside needs to have thick skin. Just the reality of a passionate group always wanting more.
I would be more afraid as a coder if people were not talking about his games at all.

This tread was started as I was genuinely curious if Dwight "finishes" his games. The trend I think we have all seen is that Stern has upped their level of commitment to having games release with better code, hiring more junior programmers, and more regular releases to update and polish code. They often then get a final big release followed by a "finished" polishing for any bugs that crop up in the big release. With Dwights 3 recent games, we have not seen that bog final relase and follow up polish. He was super defensive when politely asked some questions at Expo 2 years ago and it game me the impression he really does step onto the next thing with little concern about ever giving a game a final polish.

This seems different from the other coders on Sterns lead team, so I think it is valuable for everyone to talk about and set proper expectations.

This below input form him on Tilt is exactly what I was hoping to see/hear in regards to the posed question...

Quoted from JustLikeMe:

No, he doesn't. In September 2017 he posted the following on the Tilt Forums re GB code:
'I want to be clear. I consider the game to be finished. I think that the game is fun and interesting as is. But there is always room for improvement.'
So it's complete, but there are two inserts that don't relate to anything in the code - including the final wizard mode?
Don't see myself buying another game coded by him for this reason alone. I have faith in Lyman, none in Dwight.

It seems to me the vast majority of pinheads would say that if you compare across all current pinball lead programmers and specifically Stern programmers, that Dwight games lack that final polish (e.g. GB has been on the Stern blasts for over a year)

Lonnie used to be the guy with unfinished/polished games but then KISS finally got that last big push.

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Early on I decided to not number Houdini releases that way, since people look at .9 and say, "oh it is 90% done". I just label releases based on the build date.
I've been asked how do I know it is 'finished', and my general take is, it will be finished either when I run out of ideas or I get sick and tired of working on it. Having said that, the release that included the final wizard mode marked the completion of the major things planned, but that milestone certainly did not represent me being done, but that it has the major components and features intended. The last release was a lot of bugs fixes and feature adds where I now feel the game is living up to the vision I had for it and has no major flaws (well one bug cropped up that I want to address). However, that does not mean that I won't do more.
Although I am currently knee deep in Oktoberfest, I continue to add ideas and thoughts to my Houdini list. Now that I have one at home, I see things I'm just not totally happy with it, maybe something that did not work as I had envisioned, or maybe something that is just off, and I will also get new ideas on how to give things more pizzaz or even ideas for new rules. And while many of these things will likely make it into the game, that does not mean that I consider the current iteration has being incomplete, although I am sure plenty of you would find things that you feel make it otherwise.
As far as what else is this thread, I find it much of it amusing since most of the people here have no clue as to what is involved, what is happening, the challenges that exist, what the developers goals were, etc. I love when you can read two posts back to back, that state the exact opposite things about a game, and both believing they are right and the developer is wrong, since they did not do what you think should be done. The word 'polish' has become some catch-all used when someone feels the game is not compete in their mind or just does not do what they thing it should. The reality is you can take any machine ever made, and if you want, you can find something you can say is 'incomplete' or 'needs more polish', ultimately that is the eye of the beholder. Sure, sometimes a game is clearly missing things, but that is far more often the exception than the rule, despite what reading pinside might make you think. I am sure there are plenty of times the developers would like to do a little more on some of their machines, tweak a few things, add a few things, but the reality is, none of that is really going to change what matters. If you don't like the way the game shoots, if you don't like the reels more 'polish' is not going to change that. Some games you are going to like and some you are not. Some rules you will find fun and challenging, and some won't be your cup of tea. If some missing light show or sound call is ruining the game for you, I suspect there more to it than that. The great thing is there are so many machines to choose from, that you will certainly find ones you like (or you need a new hobby).
For all you guys who think you know what a polished game looks like, I encourage you to try. There are now great resources and technology out there to let you do your own machine, so, rather then spending time on here dissing designers and developers, go try it for yourself. Maybe you will create the next great game or more likely you won't even get one close to being finished, let alone giving it 'polish'. But what is likely, is that you will gain a new appreciation for what designers and developers do, and why a thread with this title and some of this content, is insulting to those who work their assess off to bring these machines to life.

wham (resized).JPGwham (resized).JPG
#89 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I get you are teasing. I just think guys get way too focused on little things that don't really matter and let that stand in the way of enjoying a game or worse, let it get in the way of others enjoying it. I agree games should be complete and if a company says there is more to come, then they need to deliver on that. No game should leave an owner feeling it is incomplete. But getting hung up on insert that does not get used in game play or that the light shows are not wow enough, just seems to go a little too far. There is little doubt that Stern left some games feeling incomplete and certainly seems they have tried to correct that, but seems some of this stuff is beyond that, and again, a thread with a title this this is inappropriate, imho.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a game and if they want to say they think it needs more 'polish' that is their right to say so, but seems some guys take that too far and turn into something else, and that is what I object to. Just too much nitpicking at time, its pinball for crying out loud, some of these guys need to step back and just enjoy wonderful renaissance we are enjoying. Time is a constrained resource. Designers. developers, artist, animators, composers, etc. due as much as they can to make the best game they can with the time and other resources provided, and within the constraints that are given to them. Seems some guys here lose sight of that, when they look for some thing to pick at. I guess that is why most people in the industry don't spend time here. I was a collector before I was started working in this industry two years ago. I like to try to bring some of what goes on besides the scenes here since I know I enjoyed that. I also like getting feedback and idea, plenty of Houdini owners can point to things they suggested that made it into the game, but there are certainly times when I get why so many don't spend time here.

Hilton has not liked Houdini or AP from day one (and guessing me either for that matter). He seems to seek out opportunities to criticize us. I get that he does not like Houdini, he finds the shots are too tight and challenging, and seems to have never had a good game on it. He is certainly entitled to that opinion, but seems he looks to find reasons to rip on it to somehow justify his feeling about it. That is also his right, but I don't get why he has that need and what void he is trying to fill.
As many of you know I listen to feedback, whether positive or negative, sometimes I agree with it and will take action and sometimes I don't, but I will certainly listen. Some people people love Houdini and some don't, pretty much like every game. There are many folks on Pinside or who I know outside of it, who's opinions I respect, and that has not changed based on whether they like Houdini or not. However, some folks like to be bombastic and over the top, just to get attention or maybe they believe that their opinions are so great, that they need to be shared at every opportunity, and that all of the rest of us would be lesser for not having heard them, when in reality it is the opposite. These are folks whose opinions carry zero weight with me, whether about Houdini or anything else.
It is always easier to tear things down, then to build them -- which is also the case when doing a playfield swap .

I agree, bugs that are hit consistently and cause issue need to be fixed and I don't think Dwight or anyone else does not want to fix those. I have not met anyone in the industry who does not take pride in what they do, and want it to be as good as it can be (given the constraints, resources, etc.)
My point was there is great opportunity for folks to make their own games and doing so will give you far greater insight into what is involved and what goes on and will give them a new appreciation for what is in front of them. Talk to any custom game builder and they will tell you how it was far more difficult and involved then they had imagined. And I can tell you from personal experience going from custom to commercial, takes it up another notch.

You are not paying much attention... if anything i have gone out of my way to not comment on Houdini out of respect for you specifically. I have largely avoided discussing my feeling on the game in order to ensure my opinions did not offend any of your team. When the prices on the secondary market began to tank i discussed that but by then the fate of the game was set in motion... the sales and secondary market has spoken loudervthan anyone.

For you, a game programmer, to come on here and defend people putting out unfinished games or crap that never had a whitewood even and claming it should be acceptable and an unused insert is no big deal is just sad. Our goal and expectations as passionate pinheads spending often large anounts of money should be for well designed and code complete games that are polished out the door from day one and then get additional polish after that. You got cut slack for your first production game, but i would not assume the community at whole will give you the same slack for game number two. Esp if you are on here talking smack about the community that potentially buys your games and rightfully expects them to be completed and polished. You really also are not going to help sales if you provide the expectations that you think it is acceptable for your games to not be finished and possbly missing features when you call them done.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I also find the double standard interesting. It is okay to criticize companies and the people who work there, but, god forbid someone from the industry comments back or disagrees, and it becomes "how dare you say something or disagree with the people who buy games".

there is a big difference between disagreeing and treating your customers poorly or talking smack about them (publicly or privately behind their back) all while making excuses for a game that lacks polish. You try and down play the pinball communities understanding of what it takes to code and what expectations we can rightfully have by making it sound like we are all complete morons and dont even understand the difference between a personal "want" for a game and a game with scoring bugs, songs that cut out mid play, wizard modes with inserts that sit uncoded, and even the simple reality that often business dictates that a game did not sell well enough or there is no incentive to finish code as it was intended so coders just leave the game unfinished.

I hope you can step back and realize how ludicrous it is to have any insert on a playfield not coded into a game. If the coder has decided to go a different way then the obvious answer is that the company needs to figure out their cycle time better and ensure they actually have the basic code framework fully mapped BEFORE they release the damn game and before they build out 1000 blank playfields.

You really are not coming off well as a representative of AP and it comes off as talkin gdown to all us dummies you are so kindly gracing with your presence. It really sounds like we all need to have clear expectations that any game you put out with AP could possibly change directions post production and inserts could go uncoded, a feature not used, and gameplay goes a different direction.

Sorry but to most of us, if a game comes out with an insert... it damn well better have some code associated with it, or we are going to rightfully see the game as unfinished (or in your case I guess just the cop out that things went in a different direction).

Good luck on Oktoberfest. You are fighting an uphill battle with the theme already. It will be interesting to see if you really do that the constructive feedback the community has given about your code. I think it could be a great game (I like the layout and think the them could be fun), but it will firmly reside on how well the code gets "polished" that decides the fate of your sophomore attempt.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm listening to the SWL Podcast, and Dwight explained that this is a more 90's style ruleset...simpler and more "feature" based than mode based...he said when you get to a wizard mode, that's "Level 1" - if you get it again it's "Level 2" ...so, don't think of the Wizard mode you'll never see like Valinor...sounds like it'll be more like Monster Bash where it's attainable for good players, but with something different each time you get to it. He also said Ball Save is off by default. So - this is meant to be more of an Iron Man/Tron kick-your-butt & play again game...so setting it up tough and steep will probably alleviate any "problem" if someone finds the game too easy.

This sounds very TAF like, and that sounds cool to me!

#105 5 years ago

watching stream now and code look pretty Fing awesome already on Munsters!

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, this is the type of design I enjoy. New players can just have fun with the obvious stuff (shoot the characters and enjoy Multiballs) and still have fun and "understand it", seasoned players can dig into the nuance for satisfying scoring strategies. Looks great to me!

the ZAP 3rd level looks very cool!

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from TheArrrrrcade:

Technically it's in the audits too
[quoted image]

careful... Rosh will tell you that you just need to play better to see that mode.

remember, if code is incomplete are a game sucks then it is just because we are no good and not because the game has a flaw.

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Listening to Dwight on the Munsters stream last night it’s clear he is passionate about the game. However, it was also clear that one of his goals was to make the game simpler (a throwback). There seems to be a bit of scoring complexity and options, but it’s basically collect 5 characters and jackpots and repeat and is a game designed to be played without ball save (though there is a ball save in the code).
It certainly doesn’t appear the game will have the depth of TWD or BM66, but that doesn’t mean the game won’t be “finished”. To me it looks like it will be fine on location even at the current code level (whatever that is) and it was clear the code wasn’t done yet. I do question whether it will be deep enough to keep an average to above average player in a home environment interested long term.

I care much less about the depth or breadth of the code. This thread is about "finishing" code. i.e. having a plan for what the code is going to be and fulling immersing the player with a complete and polished product. Feature complete, innovative, light show, call outs, and music integrated in the full package, etc...

Lots of great games with very shallow code. For example TAF is arguably one of the best coded games of all time and it is very shallow (to the point that ANY player spending some time should be able to complete the wizard mode and see all that there is to see in a single game even). However, TAF is a well polished and complete game. The lights and sound effects and callouts all fall together almost perfectly in a choreographed way to put the player into the game. IN the modern era I know of only 2 games that have done this well; TNA and TWD. Those are completed, finished, and polished games.

I am super excited for the ruleset on MUN and assuming Dwight puts the saved time on depth into the "finish" of the code then this could be an epic game! He has a foundation of very novel and fun style of play that will cater to both the route noob and the home pro. The success will depend 100% on IF he finishes the game off. From his giddy like passion apparent on stream, I sure hope they provide him the time and expectation to do so.

I genuinely was curious what his MO is because up till now I dont think we have seen him really polish off a game to completeness. Then again, I dont think we have seen that same spark and passion for a game in his past 3. I wonder if his personality is meshing best with Borg? He is thus far not worked with Borg (GOT Ritchie, JT for GB, and SW Ritchie; and back in the early era it was Nordman on POTC, Gomez on Sopranos, ).

Please SETRN, give him the time and set the expectation for him to take this game to really immersive and polished. It will for sure help your long term sales in the future to show that Dwight is able to do so.

*then get him back on GB and GOT and SW to a lessor degree.

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Hilton, what do think of TNA? Music sounds great but looks repetitive?

In short, i own 80 some gamesplus maintain 50 on route. I bought TNA #2 to put on route to support scott and spooky with the full intention of taking it home after 3 months. 16 months later that game is still killing it on route and i bought a second game #420 for home (and a partner bought one also, and his brother a fourth, lol) I have never done that before an it is a permenant game in the primary room which gets played every day. It is likely the best coded game of all time. A serious GOAT! I know the game play is not for everyone, but it is for me and a big part is that it is the most polished common era game period.

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

My wife works for Fiserv and I check it out next time I follow her up on a trip. Thanks

cheers and thanks for the support.

we try to keep the website up to date with games and locations. It is often 95% correct. We move games around quite a bit and always have new stuff cycling in.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

We have have Dwight coming on the head2head podcast his week for a super long interview where we read out all 214 posts above and record his reaction.

so you are telling us that to plan for a shorter episode than normal for this week, but with more content?

should be a refreshing change of pace

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Man oh man, you just cannot help yourself. And you have no clue in titles. I’m joking, to each their own.
I’m making stuff up? I know what stays and what goes. If Dwight went above and beyond like you imply, either he’s just plain incompetent ( highly unlikely!)
Or he is a fan of shallow rules and done. ( I don’t know, I’m not his friend).
I’m not attacking the man, I’m questioning his shallow rule set and it’s long term replayability in a home collection.
Yours is set to private. What are YOU hiding?
Read post #220. He’s living it.

He is a consumate Stern defender and appologist. You are honestly wasting your time even attempting to have a discussion i have found. He constantly defends everything they do and can do no wrong it appears.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 10.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-dwight-ever-finish-code?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.