(Topic ID: 233477)

Does Dwight have a good track record of 'finishing' code?

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TKDalumni
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

codeupdate (resized).JPG
2vwgtd (resized).jpg
2vv4ug (resized).jpg
4C34C55B-DA4B-4E00-A022-051504FE73AB.gif
IMG_20190111_124930 (resized).jpg
BF0AC95E-64E9-47B2-AF18-0B1F20C2DA19 (resized).jpeg
wham (resized).JPG
cbe3f504aeb202be5c419ae15340e455cbdb8fef (resized).jpg
f7404ce53dfe0830088a72dfeb079a23a6752fbc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

to came back to the initial ask (and than let's admit more the GB code), i can understand lots of talks here, not only those who are complaining (i'm with them), but those trying to explain things (as Josh, simply because he's a coder and he knows what he's talking about)
surelly 95% (or even more) of GB owners are even not understanding what the other 5% is talking about...
i will call them "lambda" players (please, dont take this as negative of course)
they are simply playing pinball for just the fun of playing pinball (and its nice as it !), they have not noticed that one insert is never used, and with no surprise they will never reach the big wizard mode (on GB, but mostly on all their other pins), dont tell them about exploits or unbalanced scores...
now, for the 5% remaining, will call them "players" (and few have surelly some coding abilities), GB is with no doubt far from being complete or good as it, its missing more than a wizard mode
exposing this, may be the only question is : did STERN have time to spare for these 5% (or 4 3 2... 1%) !? i hope they have, but...
than, as lots have already said here above : if for you code is one of the most important point, than do not buy early (or stop complaining)
or if you even dont know what C++ is, than go for it, buy new pins, and enjoy
as a player (and knowing what i've said above), i did made the mistake with GB, buying it NIB when just out of the factory...
after having lots of talks in the GB topic, sharing with others more than few (good ? well i think so) code/gameplay ideas, and seeing nothing was coming, i simply sell the GB :/
i made the mistake once, i had my lesson...
after GB i than get TWD which was complete, and now same with DI, no bad surprise
a last word, i like when the guys involved in the pinball world are here to talk with us
Josh is sharing in the AP topics, and talking about DI, its nice to have Ted there
in the other way, i can understand not evbd want to be here, and/or may be they simply dont have the green flag from their companies !?

To summarize:

- Less than 1 in 10 ppl who shell out 6+k for a nib machine will learn all the inserts on the pf and all the rules.
- We should stop debating about companies that sell incomplete products because so few fully understand the products.
- If you understand computer programming, you’ll be okay with a potentially indefinite wait for a complete product.
- If you’re unlucky and understand programming, rules etc., and you’re unhappy with the product, get rid of it.

Um, okay.
-

#246 5 years ago

My take is that stern has completely abandoned unfinished games, which is unacceptable. It is the company (Gary) not the programmers. That is why there is so much suspicion and speculation, deservedly so. They seem to be working to change this, but I still don’t trust them completely on all fronts of development and quality. For example, some of the animations on imdn are not finished: they are not colored or shaded and are not up to the quality of others presented in the game. I’m willing to bet that most of you who own the game are almost positive the animations will never see a minute of stern’s time. I only bought the game because I knew most of the code was done, but I also knew they (gary) would likely neglect other areas of the game. They are the industry leader, yet many wait and wait and wait in fear that their expensive purchase will never be the complete product they hoped for and paid for.

The title of this thread should be "Does Gary have a good track record of PAYING for complete code?”

#251 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Eh if you are upset IMDN doesnt have the proper shade or complete polish on all of the animations I'd recommend never buying a stern. That game is a freakin masterpiece code wise

Thanks for supporting my point exactly.

1 week later
#266 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Your point seems to be you'll never be happy unless the code is done how you specifically want it. Many of Stern's games could never get updated again and be perfectly awesome as is, but people would still complain for an update, that's not needed.

What a silly way to defend Stern. It appears that you're arguing that they don't need to complete their products as long as they are functional. Imagine an iron maiden album cover where Eddie's face is Grey and not colored because the artist didn't get around to finishing it. But wait, the album sounds great, so the art doesn't matter, right? Do you not assume that you will get complete animations when you buy a pinball machine that clearly involves a good profit margin for the seller? Or have expectations sunk this low?

#271 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Not my point at all, you missed it . People forever claimed ACDC wasn't done, it is. It is done and awesome. People want this or that tweaked, while nice, not needed. It's like so many expect "DLC" for stern games lol

But my original point was that Stern will never finish the animations in imdn. It's a shame that they have a history of not finishing even important things on their pins. It's great that they finished acdc in your mind, and maybe you consider partial shading and no color on some animations complete, but I would guess most, me included, would not. If you are completely happy with an incomplete product, that's great. I wish I could convince myself to be.

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

If the shading and some coloring on animations is your beef you'll be fine. Even if they do add this shading I imagine you'll want it done differently and still not consider it done. IMDN is still a top 3 coded stern at this point.

I appreciate you offering my opinion for me, but incomplete and complete are different. I have't offered any complaints about any completed portions of the game. Read my review of the game if you think I whine about things. The thread is about incomplete code and incomplete games and I merely mentioned this issue as one of MANY things Stern leaves incomplete. I still have the game and love it. My point is that it is disappointing that the company leaves things incomplete so often that we can assume that they are never going to get to many them, especially the smaller issues. Don't like my example? Choose another. Don't like me? Choose another pinsider. My argument isn't unique.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-dwight-ever-finish-code?tu=tranquilize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.