(Topic ID: 233477)

Does Dwight have a good track record of 'finishing' code?

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TKDalumni
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

codeupdate (resized).JPG
2vwgtd (resized).jpg
2vv4ug (resized).jpg
4C34C55B-DA4B-4E00-A022-051504FE73AB.gif
IMG_20190111_124930 (resized).jpg
BF0AC95E-64E9-47B2-AF18-0B1F20C2DA19 (resized).jpeg
wham (resized).JPG
cbe3f504aeb202be5c419ae15340e455cbdb8fef (resized).jpg
f7404ce53dfe0830088a72dfeb079a23a6752fbc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

GOT and SW appear to be in good shape, especially Star Wars. GB code support though has been terrible, the worst in years by Stern in my opinion. Stern keeps saying its been of of their best selling games and yet look at where the code is. The game is one of Stern's most loaded games to date but what's the point of adding multiple interactive features if they are not coded properly?

There's no way in hell I'm going to drop $6k-$9k on a new Munsters when Ghostbusters code still isn't finished. It just doesn't feel right. Dwight seems like a great guy, his rulesets are unique but I don't think Stern is giving him enough time and / or resources to properly finish his games.

October 2017, Stern's first Stern of the Union address.

f7404ce53dfe0830088a72dfeb079a23a6752fbc (resized).jpgf7404ce53dfe0830088a72dfeb079a23a6752fbc (resized).jpg

January 2019, 15 months later!

cbe3f504aeb202be5c419ae15340e455cbdb8fef (resized).jpgcbe3f504aeb202be5c419ae15340e455cbdb8fef (resized).jpg

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Because sometimes it can feel more like:
Option A. Long slog to feel any kind of accomplishment
Option B. Fun game without a huge time commitment
I respect Keefer hugely, but his style of games don't appeal to me for instance, I'd just look at them and then walk over to something more basic because I didn't feel like trying for that epic 45 minute to an hour game.
The truth is that simple games can still have depth and fun if there are multiple was to approach them and enjoy them. I'm less worried about shallow vs depth than I am about multiple ways to play vs linear. I would never own a GB for instance, I strongly dislike the mode ladder system and hearing Who Brought The Dog over and over. Same reason why Capcom's Airborne is annoying, you have to play it the same way every time.
TNA is a good modern example of a simple game with return value, but a lot of the classic 90s BW hold their value for the same reason.

Keith Johnson games contain multiple easier to obtain goals / modes that are rewarding to achieve as well as more difficult to reach modes. I believe Keith once described getting to Battle the Wicked Witch in WOZ and Destroy the Ring in LOTR as having a good game. Those two modes are perfect for a lot of players and offers a sense of accomplishment. Keith also said that modes like Somewhere over the Rainbow and Valinor are for a game of a lifetime. That's perfect for players that always want something to accomplish.

Personally I have no interest in spending $6k-$10k+ on games that have a simple ruleset, they just won't hold my attention for long. Deep and unique code offers value for a game, it's what brings a game to life if done properly. Overall I think Keith Johnson is offering the best objective based rulesets that follow a story.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I've never understood why some of you are so black and white on this stuff. Keith's games are great but I dont want to play them all the time. Stern games are great but I dont want to play them all the time. 1980 Bally's are great but I dont want to play them all the time. 1990's B/W are great but I dont want to play them all the time. So I own some of all of them and I seldom get bored. Cant you guys just enjoy pinball without always having a side?

I hear what you are saying, good points. I wasn't trying to pick side and think a lot of Stern's latest games offer very deep rulesets. 1980 Bally's are great (wish I had more room for some). I was referring to dropping $6k-$10k+ on NIB games with shallow rulesets.

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I spent $6k on my TNA, no regrets. I’ve been tempted by the AFM remake. The right game that’s fun doesn’t need insane depth.
But in general I hear you and agree. Pinball is crazy expensive and you want play time value for your money. If it’s “simple” that’s okay if it has replayability. That’s the sign of a good game, regardless of complication.
Replay is sort of nebulous, but a game with a “good soul” has it. I don’t hate of Sterns at all, but a lot of them for me are soul-less and not worth that money. Competent games, but lacking the spark to be worth it. That’s what I look for the most.

That's a great comparison, I know what you mean. I think all of JJP's games now have a "good soul" in my opinion as each contain deep as well as unique code that offers the player multiple paths and makes them work the playfield in interesting ways. Not all games need that level of code depth and do a great job with a smaller ruleset. If I had more room I would like to have a TNA in my collection.

Some Stern's offer a similar experience (Batman 66, Star Wars, Star Trek, TWD, etc) but like you said there's also those that seem soulless. Stern loves to code "super ramps", "super pops", "super spinners" etc type modes in many of their games that I think are incredibly boring, not unique (generic animations and sounds if any) and come across as filler modes. It's as if those types of modes are copied and pasted from one game to another. Hitting the same shot over and over again with the same animation and sound playing just isn't fun. Having to play 3 objective based modes to unlock a multiball or mini wizard mode is more fun and rewarding.

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from TheArrrrrcade:

Technically it's in the audits too
[quoted image]

Well damn lol. The wait for Ghostbusters code is ridiculous at this point.

#213 5 years ago

Here's the video of Gomez talking at this Expo 2018 about Ghostbusters code being delayed, starts right at that section.

Highlights

1. Waiting for break in coders schedule (Dwight, likely referring to Munsters code work)
2. Mentions insert that doesn't do as much as it should
3. Hint of mode on instruction card that could be more complete (more complete? Are You a God isn't even in the game)
4. Could use some polish and a few other things
5. Gomez made decision to put Dwight on new game and then maybe can put him on Ghostbusters update (MAYBE?!)

#262 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Here you go
Episode 76 – Dwight Sullivan
http://www.head2headpinball.com/2019/01/14/episode-76-dwight-sullivan/
Dwight is old
Munsters code outline
Lower Playfield
Super Jackpots
Munster Light shows
Star wars multipliers
Filtering feedback
Right orbit jackpots
Ghostbusters code

Thank you and thanks Dwight for doing the interview!

Below are some notes I took regarding Ghostbusters

1. Highest item on Dwight's list for Ghostbusters is to do something about the game being too messy, said too many things stack. Would like to see Loopin Supers played on it's own and not stacked with other modes, should be a moment type mode to get to

2. Library insert - was never intended to be a feature or mode (used as indicator to shoot for in Librian mode) but will now get it's own little rule

3. Are you a God? - First off Dwight said yes he is (good answer lol), never meant to be part of 1.0, putting Are You a God on instruction card was a mistake, doesn't know if it will happen...

4. We Came We Saw - could be more polished, should be worth more and be more interesting

Dwight also went into how he will have more time after Munsters to work on other stuff. He said that it took Stern a long time to get to where they are at today. Mentioned how working on Spike revisions impacted code updates and how George Gomez has worked on hiring more programmers. According to Dwight Stern now has 9 in house programmers and 3 external. Programming staff used to be spread too thin but now is better. Finally he mentioned that programmers now get time after a release to work on other stuff and that he will get that time after Munsters.

1 month later
#297 5 years ago

I really want to see Dwight knock it out of the park with the coming Ghostbusters update. It's not Dwight's fault for why Ghosbusters isn't finished, if you want to put blame anywhere place it on Stern management who at Expo 2018 admitted that they had to have Dwight on another game even though it meant Ghostbusters code would be delayed. Still...it's been 26 months since the last update.

With that being said on the Head2Head pinball podcast Dwight mentioned that after Munsters is complete he will have time to work on other items. He mentioned that other programmers have had time to work on other game code as they recently rolled off a project. Once Munsters is complete I would fully expect for Stern to have Dwight working on a massive code update for Ghostbusters...that's the hope at least.

#305 5 years ago

Even though Stern is finished making Ghostbustsrs it still benefits them to finish the games code for the same reason they finished KISS. Good will and future sales.

Abandoning code is a quick way to piss your customers off and have them buy a competitor's product. I did just this when I heard Munsters was announced, considered placing an order and then remembered "dude you've been waiting 2+ years for Ghostbusters code". I ordered a JJP POTC instead.

#312 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Settle down.. a gb update is coming... the new munsters update is very nice imo.

Stern said that to us over a year and a half ago with the first Stern of the Union address.

Its time lol.
2vv4ug (resized).jpg2vv4ug (resized).jpg

#315 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

It supposedly coming for gb. I heard this from a source that's usually on point

That's good to hear. The wait, 26 + months now, has sucked. I sure hope the update is a substantial update similar to the final KISS update.

#320 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Better late than never i guess...

"It's some dock supervisor down at pier 34, he said the final Ghostbusters code update just arrived"

#322 5 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

New munster update still has some prior version bugs in it.

Yes lol

2vwgtd (resized).jpg2vwgtd (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-dwight-ever-finish-code?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.