(Topic ID: 233477)

Does Dwight have a good track record of 'finishing' code?

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TKDalumni
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

codeupdate (resized).JPG
2vwgtd (resized).jpg
2vv4ug (resized).jpg
4C34C55B-DA4B-4E00-A022-051504FE73AB.gif
IMG_20190111_124930 (resized).jpg
BF0AC95E-64E9-47B2-AF18-0B1F20C2DA19 (resized).jpeg
wham (resized).JPG
cbe3f504aeb202be5c419ae15340e455cbdb8fef (resized).jpg
f7404ce53dfe0830088a72dfeb079a23a6752fbc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Serious question with the release of Munsters and Dwight on code.
Since he has been back with Stern in 2015 he has been lead code on
GOT > GB > SW > and now Munsters.
While most Stern games are seeing multiple code updates and a final polish, it appears all 3 of his games have made it to good, but lack the final polish to declare them "finished". They all still have bugs or exploits from what I know and just lack that final touchup once a game has been well vetted by the community and in the wild.
Is this the expected state of his games?
Are they just not giving him enough time or assistance to finish his older titles?

Well he pretty much finished ST and made it interesting. SW was great at launch and received several updates quickly and I consider it done. All games will have some preferred pathways or exploits so I don't have an issue with that. GB needs to be balanced and GOT just needs a final bug polish. People give Lyman 5 years to work on code so why is everyone always so up in arms over Dwight?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Lyman games are always acceptable and good all along the way. We just keep getting more and more, and more--and he always delivers in the end.

TWD and BM66 were awful at launch and took forever to just be ok. Both have fantastic code now though.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

No, he doesn't. In September 2017 he posted the following on the Tilt Forums re GB code:
'I want to be clear. I consider the game to be finished. I think that the game is fun and interesting as is. But there is always room for improvement.'
So it's complete, but there are two inserts that don't relate to anything in the code - including the final wizard mode?
Don't see myself buying another game coded by him for this reason alone. I have faith in Lyman, none in Dwight.

He can state what ever his opinions are but in the end his employer has said it's not finished so it doesn't really matter what he thinks on it. I agree the latest update has taken too long but it will eventually come. As for inserts not relating that's probably not a good example as my favorite Lyman game ACDC has the same thing. The code just went a different direction and they ended up not using them like originally planned. You still see people piss and moan about cannon modes though, so some people are just not going to be happy no matter what the coder does.

Quoted from jawjaw:

I would say don't buy any game unless you are happy with how it plays at that very moment. This idea of buying a game you know is broken but expecting it to be fixed in the next few years is beyond my level of understanding. Even if it is Lyman on lead, you don't know if he is going to retire or be stuck working on other games.

This!!!!! If you bought blindly you have no one but yourself to blame. If you bought expecting everything to end up just how you wanted it you are delusional. No game will suite every single person and not all games should have the same amount of code and depth. Unique code is what really sets some games apart, not just more lines of code. Buying something before it is what you want it to be is taking a big risk. Even with Lyman he could leave stern, have a medical issues that causes him to retire, a recession could happen and stern could go under, etc. There are all sorts of situations that could end up with you paying a lot of money for a game that you are not happy with.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Easier said than done. Realizing there are bugs, exploits, and necessary polish needed in game doesn’t come from 20,30, 50 plays....most of it comes after hundreds which seems to follow suit why Lyman revisits games years later, to fill the gaps so to speak and truly consider a game finished.

Not really, if you are patient enough and wait 18 months or so all games have full code reports and exploits listed on several of the forums. You can still buy the games NIB at that point or get a HUO. Stern makes most titles for 24-36 months and if it's a great game it will sell well and they will continue to make them like they have with Met, ACDC, ST, SM, etc. So if polished code is your main concern there is absolutely no reason to rush to buy a game. The people that keep falling for the hype really have no business bitching constantly about code. They knew exactly what they were getting into and did it anyway.

#83 5 years ago

Now you are never going to get into the American Pinball Army either.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Sorry but to most of us, if a game comes out with an insert... it damn well better have some code associated with it, or we are going to rightfully see the game as unfinished (or in your case I guess just the cop out that things went in a different direction).

I dont believe this is true it all. The vast majority of pinball owners couldn't tell you if they have a game that has an uncoded insert. Even fewer could tell you what each insert is for and when it comes on.

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I get what you are saying Aurich.
But shouldn’t a HUO game be fun and have a long time commitment to explore everything?
TWD for example. Played it non stop until I beat it and it’s still a blast to play.
Take BM66, it’s DEEP and yet you can play it many different ways so it’s not a “slog” and doesn’t get old
That’s what makes a superbly coded game imo

As a The Beatles owner you should get it. Not all games need to be like that. It's great that we actually have real variety in pinball. Do you always feel like playing those games or sometimes do you just want some simple fun.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I love the variety JG. That’s why I bought Beatles. Simple fun
Ok so not ALL games need to be super deep

Exactly, that's why tna did so good, that's why MBr is selling great. They just need good code that matches the layout with good theme integration.

Variety is the spice of life.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Keith Johnson games contain multiple easier to obtain goals / modes that are rewarding to achieve as well as more difficult to reach modes. I believe Keith once described getting to Battle the Wicked Witch in WOZ and Destroy the Ring in LOTR as having a good game. Those two modes are perfect for a lot of players and offers a sense of accomplishment. Keith also said that modes like Somewhere over the Rainbow and Valinor are for a game of a lifetime. That's perfect for players that always want something to accomplish.
Personally I have no interest in spending $6-$10k+ on games that have a simple ruleset, they just won't hold my attention for long. Deep and unique code offers value for a game, it's what brings a game to life if done properly. Overall I think Keith Johnson is offering the best objective based rulesets that follow a story.

I've never understood why some of you are so black and white on this stuff. Keith's games are great but I dont want to play them all the time. Stern games are great but I dont want to play them all the time. 1980 Bally's are great but I dont want to play them all the time. 1990's B/W are great but I dont want to play them all the time. So I own some of all of them and I seldom get bored. Cant you guys just enjoy pinball without always having a side?

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Some Stern's offer a similar experience (Batman 66, Star Wars, Star Trek, TWD, etc) but like you said there's also those that seem soulless. Stern loves to code "super ramps", "super pops", "super spinners" etc type modes in many of their games that I think are incredibly boring, not unique (generic animations and sounds if any) and come across as filler modes. It's as if those types of modes are copied and pasted from one game to another. Hitting the same shot over and over again with the same animation and sound playing just isn't fun. Having to play 3 objective based modes to unlock a multiball or mini wizard mode is more fun and rewarding.

In a few cases especially at launch stern has been lazy with the code copy and pasting. Those few games did eventually branch out and become very much their own though. I actually enjoy what you are calling filler modes. Stern uses them in conjunction with new ideas and code to give a throwback feel with a fresh approach a lot of times.

Do people really want to go on some mode based adventure every time we turn on a pinball machine? Isn't there room for all of the other styles of games and isn't it good that we have options? You clearly like JJP and especially Keith games the best, but there are a lot of people that are not into that. Pinball has likely never been so diverse which is great. For some reason pinside always wants to stack them up and prove to each other that one is superior to the other which is silly and impossible. People can count coils, lines of code, toys, etc, but not of it matters. The only thing that matters is if it's fun. I do not have anymore fun on my JJP games then I do Embyron. All of the prices now are stupid so the only thing I think about is will it be as fun as my other games to me.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I agree, will not buy another stern until game is complete.

You guys act like this is just a stern problem. TH just recently got to a really good point, how long ago did it get announced? RZ just got an update to fix several major bugs that have been lingering for close to a year.

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

The more you know the better your pin choices. Munsters pf looks ‘safe’. But history shows long term staying power may be questionable.
When I bought Twdle the code was unfinished shit. Lonnie went on a three week vacation to France during launch, cuz reasons. Software was freelanced to a third party to finish. But borgs pf design was solid and I found myself hoping software would improve. Lyman stepped in and saved the strong design with even better code.
Dwight is no Lonnie Ropp. But he’s no Lyman Sheats either.

Lyman was the lead on TWD. Not sure why you are blaming Lonnie for it.

Quoted from underlord:

Understudies are usually not able to create an immersive pin. They can debug glaring issues but history shows that’s it.
Dwight may come through with Munster updates, but they will have to be spectacular to help that pf design.
Another fun fact: Steve Ritchie released Star Trek a few years ago and fought Stern on updates as they said it was good enough and Lyman was already on other projects. Steve and Lyman spent a lot of time on details and competition rules and Steve got ALL of his updates.

Lonnie was the lead on ST and Dwight was hired later on and finished the programming.

Either you have some really behind the scenes info or you have your programmers mixed up.

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

He’s clearly passionate about pinball and his career.
For Dwight, it might just be his job.

You guys wonder why no one from the industry hardly uses pinside. Have you talked to Dwight at a show? Did you see him on the stream yesterday? You wont find someone much more passionate about it.

One of you is yelling about Lonnie getting vacation time and screwing up a game he didn't touch and now we are questioning their passion. Geeze.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Lonnie was lead on TWD. I had a friend who worked there back then and that’s why I knew it was coming. Lyman was pulled in to save it.

Everyone knew it was coming. It had been rumored for 6 months or more and Borg and Lyman were mentioned from the start. According to Lyman the reason for the launch code was because stern botched the license and they thought they had the voice licenses but didn't and he had to almost start over. At least that's what he pretty much said on Facebook if I remember correctly.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I care much less about the depth or breadth of the code. This thread is about "finishing" code. i.e. having a plan for what the code is going to be and fulling immersing the player with a complete and polished product. Feature complete, innovative, light show, call outs, and music integrated in the full package, etc...
Lots of great games with very shallow code. For example TAF is arguably one of the best coded games of all time and it is very shallow (to the point that ANY player spending some time should be able to complete the wizard mode and see all that there is to see in a single game even). However, TAF is a well polished and complete game. The lights and sound effects and callouts all fall together almost perfectly in a choreographed way to put the player into the game. IN the modern era I know of only 2 games that have done this well; TNA and TWD. Those are completed, finished, and polished games.
I am super excited for the ruleset on MUN and assuming Dwight puts the saved time on depth into the "finish" of the code then this could be an epic game! He has a foundation of very novel and fun style of play that will cater to both the route noob and the home pro. The success will depend 100% on IF he finishes the game off. From his giddy like passion apparent on stream, I sure hope they provide him the time and expectation to do so.
I genuinely was curious what his MO is because up till now I dont think we have seen him really polish off a game to completeness. Then again, I dont think we have seen that same spark and passion for a game in his past 3. I wonder if his personality is meshing best with Borg? He is thus far not worked with Borg (GOT Ritchie, JT for GB, and SW Ritchie; and back in the early era it was Nordman on POTC, Gomez on Sopranos, ).
Please SETRN, give him the time and set the expectation for him to take this game to really immersive and polished. It will for sure help your long term sales in the future to show that Dwight is able to do so.
*then get him back on GB and GOT and SW to a lessor degree.

You need to play some pinball if you think TWD and TNA are the only 2 complete modern games.

#208 5 years ago

Just finished a 9 billion game of SW. All of you Dwight haters hate away. Dude knows how to make unique awesome code.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I don't hate but would be nice if he finished games code since Stern promised now for 18 months to finish GB.
I saw some of the munsters gameplay video, agree some cool features, he just has to get better at finishing & polishing some code, along with debugging. If he knuckled down after Munsters and did that they could get a few more sales and support, and people would also keep some of their games instead of loosing faith in Stern and selling them.

Pretty sure that is in sterns control, not Dwight's. If they said finish GB and here is your timeframe he would. You guys act like he decides what his time is spent on.

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

No one is hating. C’mon man, stop appealing to your inner arguments.
Just talking about past track records and wondering where this title is headed, and rightfully so. If this was a Lyman pin discussions would be quite different. Star Wars looks fun, but not in my house collection fun. That’s the problem.
I’ve owned many Dwight coded pins, where are they now? RFM, POTC, HSII, LOTR. All gone. None missed.
Never gonna get better than decent working 9-5 and that’s it. Anything in life you have to fight for. I started out only a tech at my dealership, have put my time, heart and soul into it and now the owner and all the district managers looks to my input for customer service, retention, everything about service. Busiest, and dammit most empathic and fair service anyone will ever get on their vehicles. But I digress...
There were plenty of times designers and programmers went way above and beyond, including Gomez, Lawlor, Steve ‘the man’ Ritchie, Mark Ritchie, Lyman, Keefer, and others. Pinball history is filled with them. All made a permanent impact.
All they have to do is care enough.

Lol, maybe you just dont like his games. "Not in my house fun".

As for all the other nonsense you have no clue what Dwight's commitment to stern, each game, each day, etc is. Your just making up stuff.

I personally wouldn't own any of your 4 games. Not because they are bad games, but because they are not my style. That does not in turn mean the designers and coders of those games are lazy 9-5 hacks that will never make an impact on anything.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Man oh man, you just cannot help yourself. And you have no clue in titles. I’m joking, to each their own.
I’m making stuff up? I know what stays and what goes. If Dwight went above and beyond like you imply, either he’s just plain incompetent ( highly unlikely!)
Or he is a fan of shallow rules and done. ( I don’t know, I’m not his friend).
I’m not attacking the man, I’m questioning his shallow rule set and it’s long term replayability in a home collection.

Have you played GOT or SW? Shallow rulesets?

You also have games like MET, ACDC, IM, etc rated as terrible games. So does Lyman suck because you dislike many of his games?

And yes, you are completely making up stuff when you take games that you dont like and then somehow flip that into Dwight's an non dedicated 9-5 bum that doesnt care. Or he does care and is just incompetent.

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

He is a consumate Stern defender and appologist. You are honestly wasting your time even attempting to have a discussion i have found. He constantly defends everything they do and can do no wrong it appears.

When have I apologized about anything stern does. If I dont like it, I dont buy it. What I dont care for is people personally attacking someone they do not know and have zero clue about. You and Underlord are both skilled at saying things like they are facts when you are just making up shit. Its irresponsible and reckless to make statements like that.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Cuz I’ve played them and didn’t care for them. Opinion. I’m trying to be nice here and you are continually insisting, twisting and trying to goad an argument. I’m not flipping Dwight or anything else, it’s comparing based on past games.
Please stop with the ‘making stuff up’ crap. YOU called him a hack and a bum. Seems your doing all the attacking. Did you buy a Munsters and are trying to defend the purchase? Cuz that’s what it seems like.
And again, your doing all kinds of research on me and I’m flattered by it, But show your collection or stop commenting about me.

Go back and read your own posts. Those are all things you insinuated. Now he makes shallow code even though that's not been the case on recent games.

You just dont like his style of coding which is fine. I'm not sure how you in turn relate that to him not caring. I do not like any Pat Lawyer games. They just are not for me. That doesn't take anything away from what hes made and others love his games.

I'm not buying a Munsters and I dont often jump in early on a game. If I decide to get one it will be a show game to save some money down the road. NIB pricing from all of the companies has gotten too rich for my tastes.

As for my collection, I have 17 games. Its private because I dont like the weekly pm's of someone randomly asking to buy something that isnt for sale.

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I thank you for your response, you aren’t entitled to divulge your information.
That’s correct, I do not care for his style of coding. I never insinuated what you said, you stated those things in your responses. I played Star Wars and GOT on location. Both felt...they could be less random and repetitive ( or maybe I just suck as a player?). And I didn’t care for the design.
Listen man, in the end it’s all pinball. You have yours, I have mine. Opinions AND pins. All I ask is treat responses like real life conversations. None of us would ever talk to eachother like we do sometimes in real life.

You are 100% entitled to dislike everything Dwight has ever coded. Sometimes styles just dont match up. I completely get that as I feel the same way about other designers, coders, artists etc. We all have what we like and we like it for a reason.

I would encourage you to go back and read all of your posts in this thread and see if you would say that stuff to Lonnie, Dwight, etc's face. As you insinuated several times that neither really care.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I would bring those items up in a conversation if I could if I was considering buying a pin they were involved in, yes. I’ve never been called a wilting flower, that’s for sure.
Dwight: would you consider yourself an ‘ above and beyond’ employee of Stern like Mr. Sheats?
Lonnie: what were the details of TWD launch code and the circumstances surrounding your two-three week hiatus the same time the pin was selling and having others have to recode due to licensing? As it seems to collectors you don’t pursue future updates on previous titles.
Dwight: What are your opinions on GB and it’s untimely updates? Why is it Ritchie can fight for previous release updates ( ie ST) but others do not seem to get the same treatment.
Well, you get it.
My other posts seemed fine to me. There will always be passion there, we ARE a subculture after all.

Well I'd honestly pay to see that. It would make for an awkward time for sure. There would be a pile of nervous pinballers shuffling their feet and staring at the ground. I'll translate those into what each will hear.

Dwight I think Lyman works a lot harder then you and I question your dedication to the games you are lead on.

Lonnie, your personal leave time is my business and I'd like to know why you think you have the right to vacation.

Dwight GB is not finished. Why is it Ritchie can complain and make something happen but Treaduea cant get anything done with all of his free time. It's not like he has anything else to do in his cell.

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Boy you’ve got a real hard on for me. Are we dating now? Should I bring flowers and candy?
Twist away Amigo, seems that’s your MO.
Yes, I’d say this to your face and theirs, but just, more polite. Like I said, I’m no wilting flower. You don’t ask you don’t get.

I'll pass on the flowers, allergies. For candy I prefer sour patch kids.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-dwight-ever-finish-code?tu=jgentry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.