(Topic ID: 233477)

Does Dwight have a good track record of 'finishing' code?

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TKDalumni
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

codeupdate (resized).JPG
2vwgtd (resized).jpg
2vv4ug (resized).jpg
4C34C55B-DA4B-4E00-A022-051504FE73AB.gif
IMG_20190111_124930 (resized).jpg
BF0AC95E-64E9-47B2-AF18-0B1F20C2DA19 (resized).jpeg
wham (resized).JPG
cbe3f504aeb202be5c419ae15340e455cbdb8fef (resized).jpg
f7404ce53dfe0830088a72dfeb079a23a6752fbc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zora.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#220 5 years ago

I am an early buyer of a GB LE and still have it despite ghosting, playfield swap and unfinished code. I am desperatly waiting for the code update since purchase now for years. i like the game a lot, but think regurlarly what the problem might be....

My perspective is that a new game development and sale has certain stages (time perspective) and team members (employee perspective). Which team members do you need? Lead programmer: responsible for the main code structure and code design based on the game design coming from from the game designer, creative department: ideally being players, no need for software coding skills at all, responsible for bringing fun, balancing, unique rule details into the game, coding department: coders without need for creativity, just code the software as agreed. In very simple words I would expect that matrix as follows:

1. Development until launch

Extreme involvment of lead programmer and coders. Time pressure to push software on a level that alllows the game to be played on a basic level. Additionally with GB was certainly that it was the last game with a DMD before the lauch of the LCD display, which created time pressure as well. Therefore I fully understand the basic code level at this stage.

2. code update after launch

Limited involvement of lead designer. Main duty of the creative department = players (not outside players). They have plenty of time, may colllect lots of ideas from social networks like pinside etc. See special Threads on software here on pinside. Based on these proposals alone I and 2 other pinheads could improve the code substantially within 4 weeks full time. Not including coding itself obviously.

After collecting ideas and creating proposals the creative team sits together with lead programmer and decide on what should be realized.

3. Coding team after launch

Responsible for bug fixes and progamming the result of step 2. No involvment of lead programmer and player team necessary.

Following such kind of process, the availabilty of the lead programmer is not so necessary as explained in the previous threads and the official announcements. My concern is that Stern does not follow such kind of process. The lead programmers seem to be responsible for everything, which creates the time problems. If so the missing separation of duties is the main problem. Stern seems to be old,fashioned from the perspective of an internal organization. Possibly the recognized this and reacted by hiring additional coders. And this reaction is part of the growing competition in the pinball producer market.

But then, please put the new staff on GB. This ismore than overdue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 103.00
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zora.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-dwight-ever-finish-code?tu=Zora and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.