(Topic ID: 233477)

Does Dwight have a good track record of 'finishing' code?

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TKDalumni
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

codeupdate (resized).JPG
2vwgtd (resized).jpg
2vv4ug (resized).jpg
4C34C55B-DA4B-4E00-A022-051504FE73AB.gif
IMG_20190111_124930 (resized).jpg
BF0AC95E-64E9-47B2-AF18-0B1F20C2DA19 (resized).jpeg
wham (resized).JPG
cbe3f504aeb202be5c419ae15340e455cbdb8fef (resized).jpg
f7404ce53dfe0830088a72dfeb079a23a6752fbc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KozMckPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 5 years ago

Not sure how Stern software department is organized but my software experience has included organizations that have a development group and also a separate sustaining group. The sustaining group works on software that's already been released, updates/service packs, not necessarily new functionality though. That's for versioned software that is a continuing product, meaning version 1 release this year, version 2 release next year with new functionality etc. Customers have to be on subscription to receive/pay for the new versions. In the pinball world, a specific machine's software is a one-off so maybe having a sustaining staff does not make sense for a pin manufacturer. A subscription model may not make sense either for a pin manufacturer, so what's left to fund a sustaining effort after initial software release? I have been thinking about that other option, wonder what suggestions others here have, to fund the ongoing software effort after initial release.

#234 5 years ago

Stern could explore the option of having a different software programmer finish after release, a different programmer than the original developer. I know that George Gomez said in the video that it is not doable, but it is doable, other companies do it, as I've stated my company has a separate sustaining group from the development group to do this after software release. (I have been in both that sustaining group and the development group as well so I have done it myself). Stern should try that out, if they have not already. Writing software is a tough job, and endless if a person is not meticulous and time efficient in general. Every process has room for improvement, waiting for the original programmer to get free to update a released game is not working well for Stern, and re-visiting old code is still a ramp up even for the original programmer. It does seem like they are listening though from George Gomez' video posted here. It is not a simple thing to fix, you need to have the right people on staff and if the sustaining model is not working they can always go back to what they have now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KozMckPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-dwight-ever-finish-code?tu=KozMckPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.