(Topic ID: 233477)

Does Dwight have a good track record of 'finishing' code?

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TKDalumni
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

codeupdate (resized).JPG
2vwgtd (resized).jpg
2vv4ug (resized).jpg
4C34C55B-DA4B-4E00-A022-051504FE73AB.gif
IMG_20190111_124930 (resized).jpg
BF0AC95E-64E9-47B2-AF18-0B1F20C2DA19 (resized).jpeg
wham (resized).JPG
cbe3f504aeb202be5c419ae15340e455cbdb8fef (resized).jpg
f7404ce53dfe0830088a72dfeb079a23a6752fbc (resized).jpg
There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 5 years ago

How does it benefit Stern to finish the code they promised us 26 months ago, when the game is out of production? Pretty simple...i'm no longer buying any Stern games Dwight codes, and i'm sure as hell not buying any NIB games from Stern either until GB is fixed. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

#302 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

How does code updates for aging product align with a business model and or get approved by leadership? No one on planet earth gives a crap about code updates for GB or GOT besides existing owners who have already paid for their game. There is zero return for stern if they invest in the time for Dwight (or anyone) to focus on older sold-thru product. Lyman is probably the exception who seemingly does updates on his personal time for stuff like Metallica. I am sure stern loves that! But to actually intentionally pay staff money and divert their resources from current upcoming projects that are actually supporting the business, that’s an uphill battle.

Most pinball collectors have more than one game in their collection and likely will buy more in the future.

If Stern does not follow through on their plans to finish a pinball game, some of those collectors will simply not buy NIB from Stern again. I'm one of them. I've kicked around selling my GB for a CGC remake. It would be my first fully non-Stern collection since I started in the hobby eight years ago.

Keeping their customers satisfied by doing what they say they're going to do should be part of their business model.

#303 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

How does code updates for aging product align with a business model and or get approved by leadership? No one on planet earth gives a crap about code updates for GB or GOT besides existing owners who have already paid for their game. There is zero return for stern if they invest in the time for Dwight (or anyone) to focus on older sold-thru product. Lyman is probably the exception who seemingly does updates on his personal time for stuff like Metallica. I am sure stern loves that! But to actually intentionally pay staff money and divert their resources from current upcoming projects that are actually supporting the business, that’s an uphill battle.

Because I am certainly not buying another Stern NIB and maybe not even a used Stern until GB is done.

#304 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

There is zero return for stern if they invest in the time for Dwight (or anyone) to focus on older sold-thru product.

They might find sufficient return on investment on code on products no longer in production. Reputation, positive press etc. Plus you forget that some pinball machines are coin-up amusement. What if Ghostbusters grew its coin-up revenue.

Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Lyman is probably the exception who seemingly does updates on his personal time for stuff like Metallica.

Show me a quote or statement supporting this. Some reputation that guy has. I am impressed. Yes, he, and other people in pinball, may put in a lot of hours, have a floaty work week etc. But calling this pastime activity outside of his peers at Stern. Naaa, doubt it.

#305 5 years ago

Even though Stern is finished making Ghostbustsrs it still benefits them to finish the games code for the same reason they finished KISS. Good will and future sales.

Abandoning code is a quick way to piss your customers off and have them buy a competitor's product. I did just this when I heard Munsters was announced, considered placing an order and then remembered "dude you've been waiting 2+ years for Ghostbusters code". I ordered a JJP POTC instead.

#306 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

3. Are you a God? - First off Dwight said yes he is (good answer lol), never meant to be part of 1.0, putting Are You a God on instruction card was a mistake, doesn't know if it will happen...

Is it possible that “Are you a God?” was suppose to be code for the proton stream mods that were never implemented by Stern? There is a small opening with screws above the top corners of the apron on each side. I believe these openings were suppose to house the proton streams? What the protons were suppose to do I haven’t got a clue, but it seems like a Stern project with good intentions, but was abandoned and just maybe “Are you a God” would have possible dictated the function of the proton mod?

#307 5 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Is it possible that “Are you a God?” was suppose to be code for the proton stream mods that were never implemented by Stern? There is a small opening with screws above the top corners of the apron on each side. I believe these openings were suppose to house the proton streams? What the protons were suppose to do I haven’t got a clue, but it seems like a Stern project with good intentions, but was abandoned and just maybe “Are you a God” would possible dictate the function of the proton mod?

Nope.

Although it's an interesting theory that the code would be for a mod only. Could you imagine?

#308 5 years ago

We should start a petition to see how many people we can get to pledge to not buy any more Stern games until they follow through on their 26 month old promise. I wonder how many names we could get?

#309 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

We should start a petition to see how many people we can get to pledge to not buy any more Stern games until they follow through on their 26 month old promise. I wonder how many names we could get?

. . . until the next cool model comes out and we sell one of our children to buy it. LOL
I love the game too much to worry about complete code. I (self admitting) am not a great player. Sure, I hope it gets done, but it doesn't hold me back. Price may if they keep going up though.

#310 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

If there's one thing that we know gets results, it's an online petition.

Why didn't you guys think of this before?!

#311 5 years ago

Settle down.. a gb update is coming... the new munsters update is very nice imo.

#312 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Settle down.. a gb update is coming... the new munsters update is very nice imo.

Stern said that to us over a year and a half ago with the first Stern of the Union address.

Its time lol.
2vv4ug (resized).jpg2vv4ug (resized).jpg

#313 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern said that to us over a year and a half ago with the first Stern of the Union address.
Its time lol.
[quoted image]

It supposedly coming for gb. I heard this from a source that's usually on point

#314 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Wow that source really has the scoop. Stern has been saying this for over a year.

#315 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

That's good to hear. The wait, 26 + months now, has sucked. I sure hope the update is a substantial update similar to the final KISS update.

#316 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Nope.
Although it's an interesting theory that the code would be for a mod only. Could you imagine?

Well, it wasn't originally a mod, but a Prem/LE feature. It wouldn't be the first time a Stern Prem/LE had a mode exclusive.

#317 5 years ago

Better late than never i guess...

#318 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If there's one thing that we know gets results, it's an online petition.
Why didn't you guys think of this before?!

Given the cringe-worthy nature of the Stern Insider Cash Grab Program (TM), I'd imagine they would not want to miss even one pinball machine sale.

#319 5 years ago

I agree, Stern needs to do all they can to keep past customers coming back. I spoke with my wallet years ago. Last game I bought NIB was GOT pro. I refuse to buy NIB games from them for the quality and price they are currently charging. Thanks.

#320 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Better late than never i guess...

"It's some dock supervisor down at pier 34, he said the final Ghostbusters code update just arrived"

#321 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

New munster update still has some prior version bugs in it.

#322 5 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

New munster update still has some prior version bugs in it.

Yes lol

2vwgtd (resized).jpg2vwgtd (resized).jpg

#323 5 years ago
codeupdate (resized).JPGcodeupdate (resized).JPG
#324 5 years ago
#325 5 years ago

For every guy in this thread suggesting that the benefit to provide code updates to aging, out of production games is that it appeases the home collector there is another new buyer in the market who could care less or barely even understand the nature of code as they buy one for their basement bar or boathouse. Those of you threatening to stop buying NIB games because of lack of code support for older games never actually live up to that!! How many years have people been bitching about incomplete or buggy code on game after game...KISS, GB, GOT and other. Yet all of these collectors still continue to be spoon-fed every game.

In principle that makes sense - the consumer makes a statement thereby leading to changes at a company to better support existing product...totally get it....but until the consumer actually starts making that statement that they threaten to on Pinside all the time, its not going to move the needle at all. We are making it easy for Gary and George to say...meh....we are done with Ghostbusters...Dwight, go work on Munsters or (insert next game here).

Until they have their management meeting and the bean counters say "well guys, the last title really didn't hit the sales targets. The only conceivable reason that can be the case is that you have pissed off your Ghostbusters and KISS owners enough to skip out on this one...perhaps we should revisit those now." nothing will change...

#326 5 years ago
Quoted from soren:

They might find sufficient return on investment on code on products no longer in production. Reputation, positive press etc. Plus you forget that some pinball machines are coin-up amusement. What if Ghostbusters grew its coin-up revenue.

Show me a quote or statement supporting this. Some reputation that guy has. I am impressed. Yes, he, and other people in pinball, may put in a lot of hours, have a floaty work week etc. But calling this pastime activity outside of his peers at Stern. Naaa, doubt it.

I don't have a quote handy as proof and certainly don't have the time to find it now, but I also definitely remember hearing from him that he does a lot of his side coding on his free time (last few Metallica / Walking Dead updates for instance).

#327 5 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

I don't have a quote handy as proof and certainly don't have the time to find it now, but I also definitely remember hearing from him that he does a lot of his side coding on his free time (last few Metallica / Walking Dead updates for instance).

He hints at it on the few podcast interviews he has done. It's no secret. He brought a TWD home to do that one, same with MET and BM66. He has access to these games in the Stern arcade at the factory, so he doesn't bring them home to be able to play them more.

#328 5 years ago

No one may care but I emailed directly to voice my dissatisfaction to date on the support and did in fact inform that I would be more selective with my purchases in the future due to the delays for the gble code. I would encourage everyone who cares about this to do the same. I did get an immediate and favorable response, for whatever that is worth and do hope that it is completed soon. But I also will not be purchasing another stern until then. To me these are not trivial purchases.

#329 5 years ago

Well there is no question we actually dictate What stern does so if enough complain and sales drop things WILL get done

#330 5 years ago

in Lyman I only trust now!!!!!

#331 5 years ago

Honestly that's not an answer. We can't expect Lyman to code every game and he won't, so all lead programmers need to finish their games.
If I purchased an non-Lyman coded game I should get the same level of code completion. Not expecting the nuances or style that he may bring, but a completed game in a timely manner.

Quoted from Squizz:

#332 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

I agree with you but IMHO Iron Maiden, Deadpool and Guardians and a few others are good that Lyman has not done. Lyman is still my favorite at Stern but there are other good coders.

#333 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

but there are other good coders.

And Dwight isn't one of them.

#334 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Honestly that's not an answer. We can't expect Lyman to code every game and he won't, so all lead programmers need to finish their games.
If I purchased an non-Lyman coded game I should get the same level of code completion. Not expecting the nuances or style that he may bring, but a completed game in a timely manner.

Yeah, I wouldn't say Lyman is actually all that prolific either. He does great work, but it does take a lot of time. Totally worth it, but I doubt he could handle much more of a workload and keep the quality up.

#335 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

No one may care but I emailed directly to voice my dissatisfaction to date on the support and did in fact inform that I would be more selective with my purchases in the future due to the delays for the gble code. I would encourage everyone who cares about this to do the same. I did get an immediate and favorable response, for whatever that is worth and do hope that it is completed soon. But I also will not be purchasing another stern until then. To me these are not trivial purchases.

Thank you, we need more people to keep up the pressure on this issue. I emailed several people at Stern this week as well, but received no response.

#336 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Yeah, I wouldn't say Lyman is actually all that prolific either. He does great work, but it does take a lot of time. Totally worth it, but I doubt he could handle much more of a workload and keep the quality up.

Lonnie did a great job bringing GOTG from garbage to fun.

#337 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

And Dwight isn't one of them.

Game of Thrones is good IMHO, Dwight did it.
Star Wars is good IMHO, and Dwight did it.
Ghostbusters although linear is good IMHO, and Dwight did it, it just needs to be finished.

#338 5 years ago

I would honestly put Dwight's rule design, innovation, and immersion right up there with Lyman if not even better in some cases. It is the finalizing, polishing, and bug squashing that he seems to need extra help with. With all the new talent on board, hopefully they can help with this end. He is extremely talented, and overall I love his work.

#339 5 years ago

i'm really impressed with Tanio klyce on Deadpool , his first game alone without Lonnie around ...and he's stepping up really really good !

i hope Gb gets finish , was a dream theme for a lot of pinballer and they
got the game in a flash , Stern should step up and maybe start a new software for that game from scratch cause i ear it's full of bug.

#340 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I would honestly put Dwight's rule design, innovation, and immersion right up there with Lyman if not even better in some cases. It is the finalizing, polishing, and bug squashing that he seems to need extra help with. With all the new talent on board, hopefully they can help with this end. He is extremely talented, and overall I love his work.

100%, until Munsters. I have no idea what he was thinking with Munsters. GoT is a masterpiece of theme integration and variety in ways to attack the game. But yeah, what separates Lyman from Dwight is polish. Dwight seems content with "good enough" which sucks.

#341 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Thank you, we need more people to keep up the pressure on this issue. I emailed several people at Stern this week as well, but received no response.

I did get assurance one will be completed, but still no timeline. But at least a response.

#342 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

100%, until Munsters. I have no idea what he was thinking with Munsters. GoT is a masterpiece of theme integration and variety in ways to attack the game. But yeah, what separates Lyman from Dwight is polish. Dwight seems content with "good enough" which sucks.

I think with Munsters he overreacted to some negative (BS) talk about the complexity of GoT and SW. While I do not see the problem with them, I know he took a lot of flack from people whining about "math scoring" and being too complicated. Unfortunately he seemed to over "correct" and go too far the other direction with Munsters.

#343 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I think with Munsters he overreacted to some negative (BS) talk about the complexity of GoT and SW. While I do not see the problem with them, I know he took a lot of flack from people whining about "math scoring" and being too complicated. Unfortunately he seemed to over "correct" and go too far the other direction with Munsters.

But the stupid part is GoT has one of the best n00b/expert mechanisms ever with casual mode and the advanced mode override. You can literally CHOOSE how complicated you want the game to be. THAT should be implemented on all pins.

#344 5 years ago

I think with Munsters having 2 sets of flipper buttons they have a great opportunity to have extreme rules in multi-ball. If this game doesn't have a duel multi-ball going on where you're collecting jackpots on each play field and having to trap up until all jackpots are collected in order to go for each Super Jackpot it will be a big miss in my mind.

6 months later
#345 4 years ago

I’m going with YES!! Two amazing code updates in the last few months.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

15,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-dwight-ever-finish-code/page/7?hl=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.