Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinballRusch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pool (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Parts of the pin that is.

Obviously the playfield and cabinet are made of wood, and wood will expand and contract with humidity.

Starting off with my JP just over two years ago, the ball kept getting stuck in the subway. I thought I fixed it by flattening out the subway, and grinding down a rivet from a previous fix. But now that it's been getting cooler, the ball has gotten stuck in the subway a couple times this year where it was error free during the summer.

Just curious if anyone else experiences game stopping problems likely caused by weather changes. Or if it's all a coincidence that the problem started back up?

#2 1 year ago

Where are your games stored? Heated on non heated space? I'd be more worried with changes in weather causing rust and oxidation vs expansion and contraction of parts (aside from the cabinet).

#3 1 year ago

No, but swimming in a cold pool will ...

#4 1 year ago

pool (resized).jpg

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Where are your games stored? Heated on non heated space? I'd be more worried with changes in weather causing rust and oxidation vs expansion and contraction of parts (aside from the cabinet).

In a spare bedroom. I would say heated, but during the winter I like to keep it colder than normal in my house. I'd rather pay a $150 heating bill than a $300 one.

It's also next to a window which is going to be colder than on the other side of the room.

I know that during the fall and springtime, my self-restored factory cart coffee table makes some awfully loud popping sounds for a couple days. Always makes me jump the first couple times it happens.

But with the subway, the only thing I could think of that may be happening is that the playfield shrinks a little, creating a little bowing in the subway.

#6 1 year ago

It may have more to do with humidity than temperature. Humidity levels drop dramatically in this part of the country through the fall and winter.

#7 1 year ago

Keep a dehumidifier in your game room?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from TheHueManatee:

Keep a dehumidifier in your game room?

Nope. Just gets really dry during the winter times. Need to get a humidifier connected to my furnace though. That will help a lot.

#9 1 year ago

Yes, both the wood, glass, and metal contract in cold weather.

BLUF: Excessive cold in non-controlled climate conditions is poor choice for pinball machines, much more so than increased heat.

Temperatures below freezing will reduce the lifecycle of SS electronics along with increased potential of colder solder joints through thermal cycling of components. Response signal times of ICs are also reduced. Extreme cold weather can even cracked welded joints of metal scoops through accelerated fatigue fracture of metal brittleness. Clear coated playfields chip and crack more readily in freezing temperatures due to material layer separation, if played. Freezing temperatures destroy backglasses through delamination of contraction of glass and ink screened layers, even if changes of temperature are gradual, not rapid. Humidity levels during winter periods are not always lower than summer periods, as I can attest living in the Pacific Northwest, as they are HIGHER, and dependent on a location. Keep a thermometer in your gameroom for monitoring purposes, they cost $2 at Walmart, if you want a "low tech" version. Start to be concerned once games are being operated below 55 F. Operating games below 40 F is not recommended.

Addendum note: Oxidation of metal parts will occur on games regardless if they are stored in a proper climate location or not, purely due to age of the game. High humidity levels simply make the problem even worse, and accelerate ferrous or galvanized material corrosion.

Keep flipping.

1 month later
#10 1 year ago

I was considering using my Iowa sunroom (not heated and no basement) as a game storage location and to play in the warmer humid months. Now I’m sure that is a poor idea for several reasons.

That said, what about transportation of machines during 0 degree (or lower) days for 3+ hours in a pickup bed? I’ve got my eye on a couple machines but maybe it’s better to wait for warmer temps to avoid moving in the extreme cold... or is it okay as long as it’s not being played until it’s been “warmed up” again for a few hours?

Would remove the backglass and balls and package it well for the trip.

Recommendations?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballRusch:

That said, what about transportation of machines during 0 degree (or lower) days for 3+ hours in a pickup bed? I’ve got my eye on a couple machines but maybe it’s better to wait for warmer temps to avoid moving in the extreme cold.

I had the same dilemma last week. I didn’t want to make a hr trip each way in 20 degree temps in a pickup bed. So I ended up taking wife’s escape, which worked perfectly. Otherwise I was considering renting a U-Haul van. Would’ve been about $125 for the rental, but so worth it if it prevents a damaged machine. Maybe I’m wrong, I’m sure others with more experience will chime in. I just didn’t want to chance it with that much cash on the line.

#12 1 year ago

Yea, our second vehicle is a Caravan with stow n’ go, but I can’t imaging trying to manhandle a 300 pound box in and out of there. My father in law has a super nice enclosed trailer. Would that help any? I mean the inside temp isn’t going to be any warmer so maybe that’s a dumb question.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside