(Topic ID: 236793)

Does beating the Wizard Mode kill a game for you?

By sethi_i

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic poll

“Does beating the Wizard Mode kill a game for you?”

• Seeing the Wizard Mode means sell 23 votes
    15%
  • It doesn't change a thing 72 votes
    48%
  • When I get to one, then I'll decide 56 votes
    37%

(151 votes by 150 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3FD82EB4-2068-4A8C-A7F1-027AD2EC8BFB (resized).jpeg
!3 (resized).jpg
!2 (resized).jpg
!1 (resized).jpg

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Whirlwind was a year later. I really need to get one, price keeps going up on it. Is the Super Cellar just an award then you start over again?

Well maybe that;'s why no one agrees with me
Super Cellar awards you everything awards you the panels again and gives you a 2m bonus, then starts over yeah.

#52 5 years ago

The only wizard mode I got to is on JP that was a true wizard mode. Still play it. 3 ball multiball on BH is the next best thing to it for me. The best I usually get is 3/4 there on the pins I got that are mode based.

#53 5 years ago

always nice to reach a WM, and of course doesnt mean pin has than to be sold... else what a mess as my son did go/complete LMS on our TWD after just... 1 day !!! lol

other example, our T3 : we finish it quite always we decide to play it, and its still as fun as the 1st time

#54 5 years ago

Awesome thread man !

I just watch the defeat of the Beast on Maiden

Holy shit, The biggest oh well moment ever .........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tenacity and skill is required to get to ULTRA level

So.......... A decent Fanfare would be cool
\\

To cap this

A 1hr + game for wizard mode is an exceptional acheivment

I really dig the depth of some of the awesome code from 2000

#55 5 years ago

Killed MM for me. Hardly touch it now.
Now when I play a game like DI, part of me just wants to get close but not finish it just for that reason.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Man, you guys gotta stop thinking about pins like they are video games. There's always replay value in terms of strategy and high scores. The "Ball is wild" and no game is ever exactly the same.

Sorry buts thats ridiculous, both can be replayed with very different strategies and outcomes. Its perfectly rational to feel its time to sell a game once u have beatin the wizard mode especially on a deep game. It depends on the individual ofcourse

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

But collection size has to play a part as well. Having a collection the size of yours offers a lot more flexibility, I would imagine. If you "beat" a game, you could just ignore it for while and go back to it at a later time.

that does help, and allows me to enjoy games that don't have a story and ending, like early SS and EM's.

#58 5 years ago

I'm really digging some of the modern pins that place a heavy focus on both mode play and scoring. With a lot of games people either play for score or how far they can get into the game. I'll admit I would always play a game for how far I could get versus playing for score alone which never held my interest.

The rulesets on both Hobbit and especially JJP Pirates bring together mode play and scoring strategies extremely well. With the Hobbit the number and difficultly of the book modes completed influence scoring in the games 3 wizard modes. Scoring in the book modes also affects scoring in the games super wizard mode.

JJP Pirates takes thing to a different level with completion of chapter modes effecting scoring in the games 5 movie multiballs, then multiball scoring affecting how points are earned in the games 5 movie wizard modes. I'm sure once the games super wizard mode is coded scoring will be somehow influenced by wizard mode completion.

With rulesets like above you can reach wizard modes, reach the super wizard mode 10 years down the road, etc but thanks to scoring strategies you can always do better which helps increase the longevity of the game.

#59 5 years ago

It took me like 18 months to even get into wizard on my TFLE on the Decepticons side, 1. because I set all modes on hard and 2. because I suck... well almost 2 weeks ago I finally got into all hail megatron and beat it and then started making progress on the Autobots side.

Definitely didn't kill the game for me but I haven't started a game since because I love seeing that 229 million flashing as the last game haha.

Im taking a break before I try it again from the Autobots side, if I can beat rollout my goal will be to go for Battle of Cyberton. That might take a good 90 minutes to accomplish....THEN I might be done with this game.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

It took me like 18 months to even get into wizard on my TFLE on the Decepticons side, 1. because I set all modes on hard and 2. because I suck... well almost 2 weeks ago I finally got into all hail megatron and beat it and then started making progress on the Autobots side.
Definitely didn't kill the game for me but I haven't started a game since because I love seeing that 229 million flashing as the last game haha.
Im taking a break before I try it again from the Autobots side, if I can beat rollout my goal will be to go for Battle of Cyberton. That might take a good 90 minutes to accomplish....THEN I might be done with this game.

I have yet to see sentinel prime on mine, or battle for cybertron. I came close once having only 1 robot to finish. That happened once.

#61 5 years ago

THat's becasue it's like...220 lit shots or something? Tall order indeed

#62 5 years ago

I never actually get that far in a DMD game.
Sadly, I will lose interest in one long before I would be a good enough player to get that far.
I have owned several games for 10 years. (EM and SS games) They were a lot of fun to play and I played the crap out of them.
Even those games became boring and I sold them.

#63 5 years ago

It really depends on the game.

STTNG Final Frontier will never get old.

I guess you could consider RoadShow as to having 3 wizard modes since there’s 3 west coast scenes.

I’ve never got the Mr.Sinister mode on Deadpool, but it’s on the route so I only play 2-3 games per month on it.

After getting Vacation Planner on WW within a day or two, I was over it.

Power Down on JM is awesome, but when we still had one, I was more after the spinner millions for score.

TAF, when I still had one, became more about how many times in one game could I get Tour the Mansion.

Flintsones Mystery Mode is so fitting for such a poor game.

I’ve got there on WPT, and I’m still not sure how I did, or why I even play it. First of all, I think it’s the hardest game ever made, and secondly, the theme is so poor, despite the fact I long for its challenge, I just can’t stand to play the game.

I’ve got there on Aerosmith twice, and I always feel I’ve never scored as good as I should.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#64 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

I’ve got there on WPT, and I’m still not sure how I did, or why I even play it. First of all, I think it’s the hardest game ever made, and secondly, the theme is so poor, despite the fact I long for its challenge, I just can’t stand to play the game.

You got to Keefer Invitational on WPT? WOW

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

You got to Keefer Invitational on WPT? WOW

I did something special and I still don’t know what. It’s on route. I went to fix the shooter lane VUK, and played a game after I was done. It was crazy loud and busy in that bar. Our jukebox was at max volume for sure. Anyways, game lasted over an hour, and I ended up with 292M points IIRC. It’s got to be the most boring theme ever. That game is so deep and challenging. I wish I had time to do a re-theme on it. It actually has the potential to be an epic game. I think the reason more people (me especially) don’t play it well is because the theme and lights and music and call outs are pure pity party tear in my bear bullshit.

#66 5 years ago

Getting to the end never killed a game for me...until Metallica of all games. Getting to End of the Line a couple times made me realize just how repetitive it really is. Don't get me wrong...the stuff you have to do to get to CIU is super fun, and the CIU modes themselves are great. But then you do exactly the same thing again. And again. And again. And then one more time to finally get EotL. If the requirements would change at least slightly for each CIU, that would help, but as it is there is alot of wood to chop...even with all of the shots qualified for items. And it's such a bummer to lose your qualified shots if you start Seek and Destroy (one of the best modes in the game) along the way. Then you are really starting from scratch.

It's like a race on a track instead of a road course. The lap has a lot of really cool stuff on it, but you have to make the same lap 5 times to get to the end. I guess I prefer a road course, going from point A to point B (as long as I can choose my path to get there...I hate super linear games). That's the biggest reason I am planning to sell Metallica and most likely pick up a GOTG at some point. The rules may not be as clever or nuanced as Metallica, but I prefer the unique modes and progression through a story line. I will always love Metallica, but I think I will be satisfied playing it less often in other people's collections where I will not feel the repetition as much. (Or selling it will be a huge mistake and I will end up buying it back someday...Lord knows that has happened, LOL).

#67 5 years ago

usually when i complete a game the luster is gone. nothing new to see and i have accomplished at there is. The idea of do it on less balls are jack up the machine doesnt really do it for me. if getting to the wizard mode is like chopping wood then the game is gone. I had an Iron Maiden and sold it. Got really old having to do the same thing over and over and over. Nothing different in the wizard modes that i havent done in any other mode. If a game is to systematic to get the wizard mode then it goes too.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I have yet to see sentinel prime on mine, or battle for cybertron. I came close once having only 1 robot to finish. That happened once.

I wonder if anyone for that matter has gotten Battle of Cybertron, I imagine the score would break a billion. Wonder how long it would've taken too.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I wonder if anyone for that matter has gotten Battle of Cybertron, I imagine the score would break a billion. Wonder how long it would've taken too.

ask Keith Elwin or Lyman. I'm sure they have done it 30 times if not more. :/

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Funny you mentioned TF. I was going to comment before when I saw it brought up. I owned a TF Pro and I have gotten there a few times on factory settings and once I got there, I had almost no interest in playing the game anymore. I liked the game on route, so I was excited to own it, but once I brought it home and got to the wizard mode, I wanted it gone badly. Believe it or not, I even got to Battle For Cybertron on one ball once (413 million on that ball) ...that's when I really knew it was time to sell. The game just starts over and you have hundreds of millions of points but you are back to chopping wood for 10k shots. Best score I ever got was 676 million. In that game I got 97 million on Rollout and 267 million Battle For Cybertron alone. That game took under an hour. I didn't get a billion, but like I said, after the game starts over, nothing is worth anything anymore so it really isn't fun to continue playing. Plus, there are really only a few opportunities to maximize your score with the SJP shots and the roving multiplier. If you lost your ball and your multipliers before getting an opportunity, you're screwed at getting max value.

!1 (resized).jpg!1 (resized).jpg!2 (resized).jpg!2 (resized).jpg!3 (resized).jpg!3 (resized).jpg

#71 5 years ago

Just put this up in the office. Turned off the phones and the lights, put some ELO on the turntable, and dominated. I’ve loved DM ever since playing it at a regional expo show at Sunbelt Distributing in Irving, TX in 1993. To this day, I’ll still make time to play a game per week.

3FD82EB4-2068-4A8C-A7F1-027AD2EC8BFB (resized).jpeg3FD82EB4-2068-4A8C-A7F1-027AD2EC8BFB (resized).jpeg
#72 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Funny you mentioned TF. I was going to comment before when I saw it brought up. I owned a TF Pro and I have gotten there a few times on factory settings and once I got there, I had almost no interest in playing the game anymore. I liked the game on route, so I was excited to own it, but once I brought it home and got to the wizard mode, I wanted it gone badly. Believe it or not, I even got to Battle For Cybertron on one ball once (413 million on that ball) ...that's when I really knew it was time to sell. The game just starts over and you have hundreds of millions of points but you are back to chopping wood for 10k shots. Best score I ever got was 676 million. In that game I got 97 million on Rollout and 267 million Battle For Cybertron alone. That game took under an hour. I didn't get a billion, but like I said, after the game starts over, nothing is worth anything anymore so it really isn't fun to continue playing. Plus, there are really only a few opportunities to maximize your score with the SJP shots and the roving multiplier. If you lost your ball and your multipliers before getting an opportunity, you're screwed at getting max value.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow that's a huge score man, great work beating the game!

#73 5 years ago

Is the pro easier than the premiums? On GB it's that way. I can put up massive scores on pro GB's. but on my own premium, I can't do shit. mainly because that right ramp screws my shots over many times.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Is the pro easier than the premiums? On GB it's that way. I can put up massive scores on pro GB's. but on my own premium, I can't do shit. mainly because that right ramp screws my shots over many times.

It's give or take depending. For instance, Megatron shot has the drop target in front on the Premium so that shot is harder, but the Iron Hide ramp opening is huge compared to the Pro ramp so it is way easier to shoot. Premium you can get an EB from so many Starscream target shots that you can't get on the Pro since that target doesn't exist.

#75 5 years ago

It’s so satisfying to reach a Wizard mode, but if I start reaching it every so often, I make the game tougher by adjusting the outlanes. If it’s a tough game, outlanes are probably closed tighter. If I’m continually getting my ass kicked, I move outlanes to 1/2 way and go from there. Yes yes I can always try to “play better”, but I want the Wizard mode to be pretty tough but not impossible for me to reach.

2 years later
#76 2 years ago

One game beating the wizard mode killed the game for me was Alice Cooper. With how hard it is and the way the game is essentially capped in scoring potential, I never wanted to play it again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-beating-the-wizard-mode-kill-a-game-for-you/page/2?hl=ryanbrooks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.