(Topic ID: 15328)

Does anyones Baywatch skill shot work 100%?

By DugFreez

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pinballdad
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-21.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I reciently picked up a Baywatch and it has since been shopped and reassembled. When I first got the machine the skill shots didn't work at all. It was then discovered that the setting in the game had the coil power set to high. I guess this has a software bug that makes the top right ball gate mess up and keep the ball from making it to the shark flipper or the coil to shoot it to the top left flipper. So the coil pulse is now set to normal.

Still after cleaning the game and having the software set correctly, the skill shot selection is still pretty iffy. The problem isn't with the ball gate timing or the shooter not getting the ball there. It seems that if you select the shark flipper or upper flipper skill shot....the ball will make it about half the time (or a little more), but the rest of the time the ball will hit the rubber on the top right right roll over guide and bounce back to the roll over lanes.

Are all Baywatch machine skill shot selections this hit or miss? Does anyone have a game that can make it past the controlled ball gate 100% of the time? I don't know if this is an issue with the wireform that it exits not being angled just right or something else. My first guess was that it may be caused by the shooter not shooting the ball as hard some times compaired to others, but even shots that look slower than other make it through sometimes. So fast or slow shots....it doesn't seem have a correlation on if it will make it or not.

Any ideas or suggestions....or is this just the way the game is?

#2 12 years ago

Skill shot on a Baywatch is indeed flakey.

2 months later
#3 11 years ago

Just picked up a Baywatch and have the same problem with the skill shot. I've read this is fairly typical and about 50% working is normal.

I raised the last part of the shooter ramp with a couple of washers and made sure the ramp was as far back as I could get it against the back wall of the playfield. It now works about 80-90% of the time.

Also push out the shooter solenoid by hand so you can sight down the plunger and make sure it is aligned straight down the ramp.

#4 11 years ago

Don't own it but I hear people talk abut this issue pretty regularly.

#5 11 years ago

when i owned baywatch it was the same about 60 40

#6 11 years ago

I don't remember it ever being an issue on mine. Seems I'm in the minority though.

#7 11 years ago

I only do the first one with the SPF anyway because I like the Squid Pops after getting it three times in a row.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from dnhayden:

I only do the first one with the SPF anyway because I like the Squid Pops after getting it three times in a row.

...but if you got 3 of the other skill shots in a row, wouldn't you also get the squid pops...+ more points than you would with the SPF rollovers?

#9 11 years ago

This issue (and also needing some extra cash) pretty much soured me on Baywatch. It was in and out the door within a months time.

Things I tried were:

I did make sure the shooter wire form was pushed all the way back against the back board.
I tried to have the shooter hit the ball as dead center as I could.
I made sure the game was set at the suggested 6.5 degrees.
I made sure the game was level at both the top and bottom of the playfield.

I had never heard anyone mention adding washers under the shooter wireform to raise it up. I would think this would slow the ball down coming from the shooter, but then again I can see the added height possably making the ball hit the playfield a bit closer to the ball gate (which may be a good thing).

I also had a bit of difficulty trying to get the shooter coil bracket aligned propperly. On my machine there was very little room to work with because the right flipper button would rub / hit the coil bracket inside of the cabinet if it was tightened down just so. It was so close that sometimes just raising the playfield up and back down would make the flipper button rub when it had been fine just before raising the playfield.

If I would have kept this game around I'm sure it would have bothered me enough to eventually put a bigger coil on the shooter to see if that would help. Adding a bigger coil to the right flipper sure did fix the flipper coil getting weak after a couple of games.

I have very limited space and very little patience for games that don't work right, or in this case, have a poorly designed feature. I know the best fix for the skill shot is probably not worrying about it and just go SPF each time. Heck...you can even go for it when you select the other 2 if it doesn't make it through the ball gate. This also leads me to believe that the designers knew the skill shot didn't work relyably....so if it doesn't work, you can still get a skill shot with the SPF lanes.

It's really a shame because I thought the playfield layout was great on Baywatch. I loved that VUK shot in the middle in particular for some reason. The rules could have used some work and it made me realize I don't care as much for a game without stackable modes. I also liked the theme, audio and DMD animations. Plus the whole game looked pretty nice in my opinion.

#10 11 years ago

Is there a piece of foam on Baywatch in the left side of the shooter lane to center the ball? There is another thread on that right now on LW3.

#11 11 years ago

Is there a piece of foam on Baywatch in the left side of the shooter lane to center the ball? There is another thread on that right now on LW3.

I had never heard of this foam before, but no...baywatch doesn't have it and isn't suppose to have it.

The shooter lane on Baywatch is actually a wire form that is elivated 2 or 3 inches above the playfield. Since the ball is sitting in a wireform...there is really only 1 place it can sit in there. The only adjusting that can be done about how the shooter hits the ball is by adjusting the coil bracket that holds the shooter coil.

image-21.jpgimage-21.jpg

#12 11 years ago

On a related note, I was trying to adjust the armature on the upper control gate last night as the coil was firing but wasn't always pulling the armature, leading to the skill shot rarely if ever working. Unfortunately I got stupid and was using a pair of needle nose pliers to try and bend the bracket a bit. They slipped and gouged down the side of the coil, killing it.

Sigh.

#13 11 years ago

I had the same problem with the upper gate, adjusting the spring will fix it. Remove the mechanism from underneath, no need to remove the center screw attaching the coil to the bracket. It's tricky to get the armature connected with the gate again though. The skill shot on ours is a little flaky but not as bad, but if you get a clean ball launch then it should be good. I may need to resleeve the lower kickout coil above the shark flipper.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

...but if you got 3 of the other skill shots in a row, wouldn't you also get the squid pops...+ more points than you would with the SPF rollovers?

I dunno... Have never been able to hit either of the other two skill shots three times in a row to if Squid Pops is awarded.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I had the same problem with the upper gate, adjusting the spring will fix it. Remove the mechanism from underneath, no need to remove the center screw attaching the coil to the bracket

Had it out, but spring looked fine to me, armature moved easily by touch. To me it looked like the bracket was bent a tiny bit out of position. What did you adjust with the spring?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Had it out, but spring looked fine to me, armature moved easily by touch. To me it looked like the bracket was bent a tiny bit out of position. What did you adjust with the spring?

As the coil ages its magnetic field weakens and the gap between the armature and the metal arm needs to be reduced. Most non-pinball coils like this have a screw to adjust the gap. Just add a thin piece of plastic between the pivoting arm and the bracket it rests against when not energized. This will reduce the gap.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

As the coil ages its magnetic field weakens and the gap between the armature and the metal arm needs to be reduced. Most non-pinball coils like this have a screw to adjust the gap. Just add a thin piece of plastic between the pivoting arm and the bracket it rests against when not energized. This will reduce the gap.

Excellent, thanks Terry! When I get the new coil to replace the one I wrecked by being careless I will keep that in mind if it still needs adjustment.

#18 11 years ago

The coil is just wire, it doesn't wear out. The spring was a little tight, just enough to keep the gate from actuating.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The coil is just wire, it doesn't wear out.

You are absolutely correct. But just as a coil doesn't wear out, I don't think a spring gets tighter over time.

To clarify, what I meant to say was, "As the game ages the coils magnetic field will be weaker..."

Either solution seems fine to me.

#20 11 years ago

Mine seems to work fine. The only time I ever had an issue was after moving the machine and having the pitch/angle to much. Once tuned back into around 6.5-7.0 degrees, all is good again. My Laser kick is real weak though...I wanted to adjust the switch wand but the under playfield ball trough has it concealed and I have not found the time to mess with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 259.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyones-baywatch-skill-shot-work-100 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.