(Topic ID: 215416)

Does anyone own a 3D TV?

By mcclad

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

A while back I was in need of a new TV. I was looking in Best Buy when one of the employees mentioned that they just marked down a 70" Sharp Aquos 3D TV, because it was last years model and they were getting new ones in. At the time I did not care about the 3D capability of it. They were knocking thousands off the original price. This is going back a few years, but I think it was $5500 and I got it for around $2000 or less. I ended up getting it because it seemed like a good deal at the time, compared to anything else that was available in my price range.

Later that year for the hell of it, I got some 3D glasses, and some new blu ray movies. Wow. Some of the movies that I had seen before on TV were like a whole new experience watching them in three dimensions. I have seen plenty of them at the movies, but now at home, it kind of spoiled me. It felt like I had missed out on something when I first saw them. I finally got around to seeing Pacific Rim for example, and now I can't even imagine watching it in 2D. That one really stood out. Every time I get a new movie, if its available in 3D, I have to get it in that format.

I was wondering if anyone on Pinside had a 3D TV, and I was just curious as to what others had experienced, and their thoughts.

Use the 3D much?
    Favorite movies in that format?
    What do guests think of it? Etc.

#2 6 years ago

I don't have one, but I've planned on getting one for years. I have a 133" screen and use an Epson 8350 projector I got around 2010. I've been waiting on true 4k projectors to come down in price a bit and then get one that also does 3D.

I enjoy watching movies in 3D. VR could replace all this in the future though...who knows.

#3 6 years ago

I have a samsung 60" plasma TV. The 3D is awesome, but I only use it when watching Tron: Legacy blu-ray.

Guests will often be amazed by it, but then after they are done, they probably forget that it exists.

#4 6 years ago

3d is fun!

Unfortunatley relatively few movies are filmed in 3d or with a 3d premise from the start.
    Most are adapted to 3d after the fact, some are really good, others not so much.

I rarely use the 3d feature at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_films_(2005_onwards)

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

3d is fun!
    Unfortunatley relatively few movies are filmed in 3d or with a 3d premise from the start.
    Most are adapted to 3d after the fact, some are really good, others not so much.
    I rarely use the 3d feature at all.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_films_(2005_onwards)

I see it as a novelty that is wearing out.

#6 6 years ago

I love mine and I wish all movies would come in 3d, but it seems like the craze is fizzling a bit. It seems like it’s more difficult to find the blue rays in 3d than it was just a couple of years ago

#7 6 years ago

Don't waste your money on a 3D TV.

All companies stopped making them back in 2015/16.

From everything I have read, it appears those companies won't be going back to making 3D TVs anytime soon either.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I see it as a novelty that is wearing out.

It seems like 3D movies are not as common as they were a few years ago. It does seem like it is wearing out.

Edit: wyopin, you beat me to the punch. LOL

#9 6 years ago

3D blu rays are excellent, especially when the 3d is done right. I look forward to buying more on the cheap if/when the format dies.

#10 6 years ago

The TV's are not being made, but 3D projectors for home theaters are still going strong.

#11 6 years ago

I really like mine I have had it for years. The format is pretty much dead though. They release so few 3D movies now and they are so hard to get. They literally sell out the day they are announced and you have to order months ahead to get a copy. At least here in Canada, I can order from the US or Europe but the price is just silly. It's great for blockbusters and they are pretty easy to get online.

#12 6 years ago

How is the clarity watching a movie from a projector?

#13 6 years ago

I have one and it was a waste of money for my usage. We bought it to watch sports in 3D back when it seemed like things were going that way. We got to watch a season of NFL in 3D (Sunday night football) and the olympics that year. After that 3D broadcast died and now the glasses just collect dust. We don't watch a lot of movies but I could see the benefit in that if you have movies and a player for them.

#14 6 years ago

I love 3D movies and have (or had) several 3D capable plasma displays. BUT, the novelty has worn off. On the rare occasion that I (or we as a family) wanted to watch a 3D movie, it was always a pain in ass getting our active 3D glasses ready to view a movie. Either the batteries were dead, the glasses weren't charged or we simply couldn't find the glasses.

Perhaps a passive 3D solution would have been the better option, but I hear they don't work as well.

In the end, we just enjoy seeing the occasional 3D movie in the theater now, usually in IMAX. We have graduated to 4k with Dolby Digital HDR and that is probably more impressive than yesterday's 1080p 3D.

#15 6 years ago

I bought a 3D TV as it was only sale compared to non 3d TVs. I purchased it for the specs of it acting as a non 3d TV. We have tried the 3d glasses once as a curiosity but have never used them since. The experience was poor, not fun wearing glasses for a movie and the effects in general seemed weak.

I don't think 3d has changed much in 50 years, it is a novelty that crops up from time to time (Friday 13th in 3D, Avatar 3D, various Imax movies) but its not good enough to take hold. Personally I am glad to see it head off to the sunset again.

#16 6 years ago

Have had 3D since the beginning. Love it. I have almost every 3D movie made. Passive Glasses only...and they work great! They say 3D is on the way out except almost EVERY animated film and most of the blockbusters are in 3D! Studios are trying to push everyone to 4K because it's easy for them. Many of the new 3D films are released from overseas in a Region Free format (Star Wars TLJ, T2, etc)
    I'll use it until the end. I think only one TV manufacturer is making them now and if they stop, I'll go to projection. I must have watched Avatar about 100 times as everyone wants to check out the 3D and I throw that on....of course...

#17 6 years ago

I have one and I like it quite a bit. I probably have 10-15 3d blurays. Avatar (a true standout - story is okay, but the 3d effect and true wow factor make up for that), Tron Legacy, Coraline should only be viewed in 3d imho. Even some of the conversions are kinda neat - Jurassic Park, Predator etc.

I was disappointed when the tv industry decided to stop making 3d tvs. And like others have mentioned, yes, you often have to look overseas for 3d titles... example Valarian and the City of Thousand Planets is not available domestically in the US in 3d.

Give it a few years and 3d tv will come back again (likely without the glasses)... Avatar sparked it once, I imagine the multiple sequels may do it again. What is old is new again!

#18 6 years ago

I have 3D capability with my home theater set-up (Benq W1070 projector), but it doesn't get used often. However, I do believe the active 3D glasses (don't recall off-hand which I have) produce a better 3D effect than the passive 3D in the theaters (my best comparison would be Hobbit that I saw in the theaters as well). As I haven't tried passive at home, I can't compare if that is also better than passive in the theater (I imagine better passive glasses are available than the theater ones that always leave a blurry spot in my vision).

Also, to acquire some of the 3D movies, I had to find non-USA versions that were compatible here, and with English (Need for Speed comes to mind, though I think this was common for Disney perhaps).

Quoted from PinballCharlie:I love 3D movies and have (or had) several 3D capable plasma displays. BUT, the novelty has worn off. On the rare occasion that I (or we as a family) wanted to watch a 3D movie, it was always a pain in ass getting our active 3D glasses ready to view a movie. Either the batteries were dead, the glasses weren't charged or we simply couldn't find the glasses.
    Perhaps a passive 3D solution would have been the better option, but I hear they don't work as well.
    In the end, we just enjoy seeing the occasional 3D movie in the theater now, usually in IMAX. We have graduated to 4k with Dolby Digital HDR and that is probably more impressive than yesterday's 1080p 3D.

Dead glasses are certainly an inconvenience that likely has a lot to do with less 3D viewing...similar to when a 4 player console system has more dead controllers than can be charged at the time...it often gets skipped.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinout:

Valarian and the City of Thousand Planets is not available domestically in the US in 3d.

Thank goodness!!

#20 6 years ago

I can still remember watching that paddle ball scene in House of Wax in 3-D. Amazing!

#21 6 years ago

There was a scene in the Conan movie where he is riding a horse through some pillar ruins, and it really gave me the feeling of being there. Subtle stuff like that is what I appreciate, not the gimmicky stuff like a spear thrust. A cool scene in Oz the great and Powerful, was when Oz goes over the waterfall in the balloon. The 3D effect in that part was great. That is usually the scene that I show people.

#22 6 years ago

I loved my 3D Panasonic plasma before it got broken. 3D has been phased out and that kinda sucks but my new 65”LG oled makes me forget about it.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I can still remember watching that paddle ball scene in House of Wax in 3-D. Amazing!

LOL! Don’t forget “Jaws 3-D”, aka “Jaws 3, People 0”

Or Friday the 13th 3-Ddddddddddd!!!!!!

#24 6 years ago

I don't use the 3D much, but it's great when a movie I want to see is available in 3D.

It's really cool if you have a PC with a 3DTV capable graphics card. Any PC game with a 3D rendered environment can be played in 3D. I used to play a lot of Gran Turismo 5 for Playstation 3 in 3D as well.

#25 6 years ago

I get a kick out of seeing people watching TV at my house, and even though they are 8 feet away, they are ducking and dodging and reacting to what is on the screen.

#26 6 years ago

I have one of the last LG oled 4k 65" (2015) tvs that has 3d and I love it!!! This tv finally got 3d right and if home 3d looked like this when it came out, it might still be going strong! Tron, Jurassic park, great gatsby... on this tv is nuts.

#27 6 years ago

I have a 55" and a 65" 3D TV. They came with glasses. I unboxed one pair of glasses to test it. It's fine, but I didn't care for it that much. Just another added feature I didn't care about. It's on its way out for the next wizbang feature. Just like curved TVs were it after 3D... and now they are all flat again.

#28 6 years ago

I think 3D is in a slow death spiral along with physical media.

#29 6 years ago

We do... But never used it. It just constantly says it's found a 3d signal on non 3d shows .

#30 6 years ago

I have a small sony PlayStation 3D tv. I think it’s like 22”. I only use it for race car games. Gran tourismo is fantastic. The active glasses are a pain to keep charged though.

#31 6 years ago

I had a Samsung Plasma with 3d until it broke. I absolutely loved it and was beginning to amass a 3d Blu-ray collection. Then, all manufacturers stopped making 3d tv's. I've been on Craigslist every day looking for a used 3d tv. I'm just waiting for the right one to come along. It's a darn shame that 3d tv's have been discontinued.

#32 6 years ago

I had previously a passive 3D-system accomplished with two projectors and separate lenses and a special screen. I did really liked the 3D picture accomplished with them, although I had to adjust the projectors every once in a while after they had moved a bit here or there. Now I have a new projector, which has an active 3D and I do not like it that much at all. All the flicker with glasses etc. Passive system was so much better, too bad I did not know what I had until I had lost it!

#33 6 years ago

3D was a fad that is basically dead now. Walk through Sams and see how many TVs are even advertising 3D capable any more.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

3D was a fad that is basically dead now. Walk through Sams and see how many TVs are even advertising 3D capable any more.

Sadly less and less movies are being offered in 3D format on the big screen as well. I read it was getting phased out because people prefer 2D in the theaters. It's a shame because I really enjoyed seeing movies in IMAX 3D.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Sadly less and less movies are being offered in 3D format on the big screen as well. I read it was getting phased out because people prefer 2D in the theaters. It's a shame because I really enjoyed seeing movies in IMAX 3D.

I'm the exact opposite. To me is was just another passing gimmick and I hated 3D because the movie makers started making "3D" movies instead of making "good" movies. Glad to see 3D go.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

A while back I was in need of a new TV. I was looking in Best Buy when one of the employees mentioned that they just marked down a 70" Sharp Aquos 3D TV, because it was last years model and they were getting new ones in. At the time I did not care about the 3D capability of it. They were knocking thousands off the original price. This is going back a few years, but I think it was $5500 and I got it for around $2000 or less. I ended up getting it because it seemed like a good deal at the time, compared to anything else that was available in my price range.
    Later that year for the hell of it, I got some 3D glasses, and some new blu ray movies. Wow. Some of the movies that I had seen before on TV were like a whole new experience watching them in three dimensions. I have seen plenty of them at the movies, but now at home, it kind of spoiled me. It felt like I had missed out on something when I first saw them. I finally got around to seeing Pacific Rim for example, and now I can't even imagine watching it in 2D. That one really stood out. Every time I get a new movie, if its available in 3D, I have to get it in that format.
    I was wondering if anyone on Pinside had a 3D TV, and I was just curious as to what others had experienced, and their thoughts.
    Use the 3D much?
    Favorite movies in that format?
    What do guests think of it? Etc.

I have an active matrix 3d 55 inch samsung 4k and it's WOW!!!

#37 6 years ago

I absolutely love our Sharp Aquos 3D TV. I have been buying my 3D discs on Amazon UK for a few dollars more than US blu-rays. My kids actually like watching the 3D at home better than in the theaters.

#38 6 years ago

I have one too with passive glasses. Movies tend to be a hit or miss but playing Halo on it is a ton of fun.

#39 6 years ago

I'm waiting for them to bring back the picture in picture feature.

It was great being able to watch football and the Victoria's Secret special at the same time.

#40 6 years ago

It's a fad I'm sorry to see go. I bought a Sony Bravia passive 3D TV as doctored ordered. One of my daughters has focusing problems and focusing on 3D really helps with the therapy. When I bought three years ago Netflix had 3D titles; no more. I always buy 3D in movies I like, but not many are making them. I will continue to pay extra for the DVD, and it's worth it. Usually, you get 3D, Blu Ray, regular DVD, and digital copy all in one.

My fear is my Sony passive 3D dies and I'll have no replacement.

#41 6 years ago

I have Mad Max Fury Road on Blue Ray for some reason. Maybe it came in a set?

Who wants it?

#42 6 years ago

Love 3D, it's the future I tell ya! I watch 3D movies using my PSVR headset and it's pretty damn amazing. It's like sitting in a movie theater but without the annoying people.

#43 6 years ago

I've had it for years now. Some movies work great: Avatar, Tron Legacy, and Life of Pi come to mind. Others, even though filmed in 3D, suffer from ghosting, double images, and other issues. The Hobbit comes to mind. It was filmed in 3D so I thought it would look great but it didn't. The newer Star Wars movies also didn't come out well on my set.

I've heard some manufacturers/TVs fare better than others. I've got a Sony with active glasses. The main glasses were really uncomfortable but I later picked up some titanium ones that are lighter and much more comfortable.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have Mad Max Fury Road on Blue Ray for some reason. Maybe it came in a set?
    Who wants it?

What would you sell it for? I might be interested.

#45 6 years ago

I’m not a fan of 3D at all. I avoid it completely at the theaters.

#46 6 years ago

3D can be amazing or horrible, depending on the cinematography. It’s horrible when the action jumps off the screen at you. It’s amazing when the screen is a picture frame and a World is presented with depth.

#47 6 years ago

I have two Samsung 3D tv's. At the time they were the better of the tv buys. First the picture quality of 2d is as good as you could get. So 3D was a bonus. I think the quality of a 3D movie is exceptional depending on the movie. Some better than others. It's a shame the amount of 3D movies being sold are dwindling. I find the glasses somewhat comfortable but the experience of being able to view 3D in the comfort of your home to be a great experience. Recently bought Quardians of the galaxy vol 2 in 3D and its exceptional. If a 3D tv is available why not?

#48 6 years ago

I've always thought of 3D as a Fad. Was never sold on it. But when I had to get a new TV in 2012, I got one with 3D, mainly because they pretty much all came with it. Since then, I'd buy blurays with 3D if it was something decent. It was fun. Nothing I wanted to watch all the time. Just occasionally.

But now that I've got a collection of 3D blurays, I'd be a little bummed if my TV went bad and had to get a new one without it. I feel that once it's gone. It's gone. There's no reason for it to make a comeback this soon. If it does come back, it will be 10+ years from now.

#49 6 years ago

My projector included 3D and we have active glasses for it. It’s fun but not something I seek out to watch. Netflix for a time was even offering 3D movie streaming but I think they stopped. Even in the theater since we started using MoviePass we never see 3D anymore and I don’t really miss it.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

3D can be amazing or horrible, depending on the cinematography. It’s horrible when the action jumps off the screen at you. It’s amazing when the screen is a picture frame and a World is presented with depth.

This is my experience too. Prometheus, for example, is breathtaking at times because it feels much more like you are there when watching in 3D. But action sequences can become confusing and difficult to follow. Part of it is that if you are focused on the right part of the screen everything falls into place and looks good but if your eye waders you loose the effect and it can take you out of the immersion of the film. Almost like a boom mic dropping down into a scene.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-own-a-3d-tv?hl=e_gpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.