Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by stashyboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0059_(resized).jpg
    20141005_172827_resized_(resized).jpg
    order_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

I've been cleaning up some top arches lately, as well as other bits of EM hardware (ball gates, aprons, shooter lane protectors, lift channels, etc) and I wondered if anyone had a source for new repro stuff along these lines.

#2 8 years ago

Absolutely - Pinball Resource is the best (and for many parts only) place to go. Check out their website, write out a list of part numbers and give Steve a call.

http://pbresource.com/

#3 8 years ago

BTW - if you can't find it on the site, that doesn't mean he doesn't have it. I needed a weirdly specific coil bracket recently, gave him the part number, and it showed up on my doorstep a few days later.

#4 8 years ago

Yeah, everyone always says them and I use them for lots of stuff (placed my last order yesterday) but some of this stuff just isn't there.

#5 8 years ago

Sometimes you just have to get parts from parts machines. Especially for things that don't have much of a demand.

#6 8 years ago

According to Steve Youngs website:
    "We have something on the high side of 10,000,000 parts available in stock"...

They are your best bet for EM stuff

#7 8 years ago

or the EM parts seeking thread. Lots of satisfied customers

#9 8 years ago

Try not to order on a Monday unless you have super duper strong skin and know every part number. If I ever order on a Monday again it will be in the morning instead of after he has taken 100 orders in one day. 99% of the time he is fun to talk to. Yesterday I took a deep breath and slowed him down and started with the easier parts I needed and then went back to the Bally part he was stumped on due to "MY" lack of terminology.

#10 8 years ago

Here's how I order thru email (easier since its all GTB). Jimmy nice, Steve lots o fun

order_(resized).JPGorder_(resized).JPG

#11 8 years ago

Heh, I love talking to Steve! EVERY time I do, I learn something!

#12 8 years ago

Do you mean screws and such?

#13 8 years ago

Ha, love how this has turned into a PBR thread. I love Steve too and everything they do.

It was more like a "hey, does anyone make NEW, repro parts, such as arches, aprons, etc because it seems like there would probably be a market for them"

How the hell are ya JR?!

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

Ha, love how this has turned into a PBR thread. I love Steve too and everything they do.
    It was more like a "hey, does anyone make NEW, repro parts, such as arches, aprons, etc because it seems like there would probably be a market for them"
    How the hell are ya JR?!

Here's an apron I redid, repainted, webbed and decal-ed. Almost as good as new

20141005_172827_resized_(resized).jpg20141005_172827_resized_(resized).jpg

#15 8 years ago

PBR does make new EM hardware, but not some of the specific items you mention (arches or aprons).

I'm not aware of anyone producing those pieces currently.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

How the hell are ya JR?!

I'm good. How's that "Blue Chip"? Have you acquired any more EM games?

#17 8 years ago

PBR would be better if they would bring their ordering and payment processes into the 21st century. There's no reason NOT to accept paypal and credit cards. Customers put up with his archaicness because he's got a monopoly. If he had any direct competition I'm betting people would shop elsewhere.

#18 8 years ago

@ken;
    That is a great apron. How did you do it? It that the pinballrescue Australian deacal? How did you do the webbing?

To the OP - As an example - I needed a bottom apron for my Slick Chick. I had the original one - which was pretty shot. Then I had one off a "half game" I bought, but that one was barely better. I ended up buying a roached Bank-a-ball with a rotted cabinet, painted gray and no back glass for $125. I parted it and kept the apron. More or less ebayed the parts for the $125 I paid for the machine. I have ZERO qualms about parting this turd. There was almost nothing to save cosmetically.

That reminds me, I still need to restart some of my auctions.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

PBR would be better if they would bring their ordering and payment processes into the 21st century. There's no reason NOT to accept paypal and credit cards. Customers put up with his archaicness because he's got a monopoly. If he had any direct competition I'm betting people would shop elsewhere.

You have to be kidding me. You have a problem with a guy who will basically sell you parts based on your word that you'll pay up?

Not taking paypal and credit cards allows him to keep his prices lower.

People put up with his "archaicness" because he's got parts and knowledge nobody else has.

People will bitch about anything. Good Lord...

Should have known. Not an EM guy...

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

@ken;
    That is a great apron. How did you do it? It that the pinballrescue Australian deacal? How did you do the webbing?
    To the OP - As an example - I needed a bottom apron for my Slick Chick. I had the original one - which was pretty shot. Then I had one off a "half game" I bought, but that one was barely better. I ended up buying a roached Bank-a-ball with a rotted cabinet, painted gray and no back glass for $125. I parted it and kept the apron. More or less ebayed the parts for the $125 I paid for the machine. I have ZERO qualms about parting this turd. There was almost nothing to save cosmetically.
    That reminds me, I still need to restart some of my auctions.

I've done several Pinball Rescue apron decal jobs and they all come out great. I won't do the webbing, though. At some point the factory didn't do it either, and I've always thought it wasn't a good look when they did do it.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Paypal & credit cards have hidden costs/fees on the seller's side. Most consumers don't notice these up front, since they're usually just baked into the price of the item from the get-go.

Since PBR doesn't use paypal or credit cards, and thus, doesn't have fees for these payment methods, PBR generally has the best pricing on many things.

http://www.merchantmaverick.com/the-complete-guide-to-credit-card-processing-rates-and-fees/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interchange_fee
    https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

I've been cleaning up some top arches lately, as well as other bits of EM hardware (ball gates, aprons, shooter lane protectors, lift channels, etc) and I wondered if anyone had a source for new repro stuff along these lines.

Some shooter lane arches and protectors are available.
    http://www.pbresource.com/signatur.html
    http://www.pbresource.com/bigindian.html

If someone had access to a laser cutter that was large enough, I'm sure they could start churning out some top arches.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I'm good. How's that "Blue Chip"? Have you acquired any more EM games?

Blue Chip is, well...in pieces. I got it working and then went a little crazy. Repainted the PF completely, cleared it. Cleaned literally everything. Once I get through my February work insanity, I'll start putting it all back together. Here's a photo of it close to completion from a few months ago. Picked up a Bon Voyage last week.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

One day I'll finally land a wedgehead for a good price and then I'll have a FIELD DAY with Steve.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

You have to be kidding me. You have a problem with a guy who will basically sell you parts based on your word that you'll pay up?

+Infinity.

IMG_0059_(resized).jpgIMG_0059_(resized).jpg

#24 8 years ago

I had a nice Blue Chip. It was pretty fun. But it went the way of the rest of my 3 inch flipper EM games..

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

http://www.pbresource.com/signatur.html
    http://www.pbresource.com/bigindian.html
    If someone had access to a laser cutter that was large enough, I'm sure they could start churning out some top arches.

Top arches are trivial to sand down and repaint...and re-web if needed. If somebody wants to send me aprons/arches I can refurb.

Ken

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Top arches are trivial to sand down and repaint...and re-web if needed. If somebody wants to send me aprons/arches I can refurb.
    Ken

Yeah, the upper arch is a breeze, no big deal there at all. The more problematical one is the lower arch, that is plated, and is generally a rusty mess. Re-plating one of those can get a bit expensive.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Yeah, the upper arch is a breeze, no big deal there at all. The more problematical one is the lower arch, that is plated, and is generally a rusty mess. Re-plating one of those can get a bit expensive.

I take it you mean "painted", yea they are a pain

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I've had a few replated. About $35 plus shipping both ways. So it pays to do more than one at a time.

The key is to NOT have them chrome plated. To match original they need to be nickel plated.

As I understand it nickel plating is part of the chrome plating process and is the last step prior to the chrome plating.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

I take it you mean "painted", yea they are a pain

I think he means the chrome plated arch under the painted one at the top of the playfield. They are often pitted and rusted, but you can get them reasonably nice with Mother's Mag Polish. You don't really see much of it anyway when the game is assembled.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

I've had a few replated. About $35 plus shipping both ways. So it pays to do more than one at a time.
    The key is to NOT have them chrome plated. To match original they need to be nickel plated.
    As I understand it nickel plating is part of the chrome plating process and is the last step prior to the chrome plating.

Yes, this is the part I mean, not the lower apron/score card holder.

It depends on how individual platers work, but the best process is copper/dull nickel/bright nickel/chrome. If you want it bright nickel they stop at the end of the third step. Bright nickel is what the manufacturers did and is warmer than chrome.

I think the only thing on games that gets more rusted is the lockdown bar receiver. The two U channels that go below and above the plated arch also get real subject to it. Many times on those, though, one side is still decent and you just flip them around.

I've had some of the plated arches be nice and others look like they were left out on the lawn in the rain.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Not taking paypal and credit cards allows him to keep his prices lower.
    People put up with his "archaicness" because he's got parts and knowledge nobody else has.
    People will bitch about anything. Good Lord...
    Should have known. Not an EM guy...

Relax. I am not "kidding or bitching". I am simply saying that I'd prefer to pay the 3% paypal or credit card fees and complete the transaction immediately upon ordering... rather than have to snail mail payment at a later date.

I am an EM guy, a solid state guy and a DMD guy. I think a gameroom needs games from all decades to be interesting.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Unless you're in Canada...

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Relax. I am not "kidding or bitching". I am simply saying that I'd prefer to pay the 3% paypal or credit card fees and complete the transaction immediately upon ordering... rather than have to snail mail payment at a later date.
    I am an EM guy, a solid state guy and a DMD guy. I think a gameroom needs games from all decades to be interesting.

Well, it takes all kinds, I guess.

You're a little shy on EMs to make your gameroom interesting.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Well, it takes all kinds, I guess.
    You're a little shy on EMs to make your gameroom interesting.

I agree. I just started collecting about 4 months ago. Before that I didn't own a game. More will come in time.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

... rather than have to snail mail payment at a later date.

dOn,

I pay my PBR account with an electronic bank payment. No stamp and he has not complained yet.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Old school pinball, old school methods. I understand the annoyance of having to write and mail a check, but I've come to accept that as part of the "experience" of buying from Steve. It is of course very important to know the right way to order, he is sort of like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld, if you don't do it the right way, well . . . 'no parts for you'.

Pinball has a of interesting personalities and Steve is certainly one of them.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Or in europe..

#39 8 years ago

I generally email them my orders. It gives them a hard copy and there's no questions about something getting messed up.

But I have called them and I've talked to Steve about things. I've never found him to be at all difficult to work with. He can get a bit short once in awhile but if you took the amount of calls he gets every day and got asked some of the questions I'm sure he gets asked, it's totally understandable.

I think the people who have issues are the ones who want to argue with him. I decided from the start he's forgotten more than I'll ever know, so why do something like that. I tell him what I'm going, and I shut up, and I let him go. If he's not busy he will actually talk your ear off and you'll be the one trying to get off the phone because he can go on for quite awhile. I'd love to be able to just go up there and go through that place and see the operation. I ran a warehouse in a previous job and I know about it...all those small parts and keeping them all in order, and the inventory...yikes.

I think he knows about his curmudgeon image and I would bet he secretly enjoys it.

Whatever, the simple fact is that he's pretty much an irreplaceable part of the hobby if you're an EM guy. I don't know that he has a succession plan but we should all hope and pray that he does.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from reppie:

Or in europe..

Eh, nobody cares about you Euros and your issues...

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

And nobody cares aboot you Canadians either...

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I understand the annoyance of having to write and mail a check, but I've come to accept that as part of the "experience" of buying from Steve.

I don't find it an annoyance as I still pay all my bills that way. What I really appreciate is the trust he puts out there using that method. Not many in this world would send out hundreds of dollars in merchandise and say send me a check after it gets there.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

dOn,
    I pay my PBR account with an electronic bank payment. No stamp and he has not complained yet.

Ditto here easy peasy!

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

Ditto here easy peasy!

Me too, and it seems to work fine.

One time I did email them and ask for my total. I was going out of town or something, and I wanted to get the check in the mail before the package arrived. Well, I got an email back that said (I saved it):

"If you need us to do the accounting for your orders, we would ask that all orders be prepaid."

OK, just thought I'd get them paid faster, but I'll stick with the system. Excuse me all to Hell for trying.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from cjmiller:

One time I did email them and ask for my total. I was going out of town or something

that is not following the rules, lucky you did not get banned

i do always make sure i get the check out right away to not get on his bad side.

Like others, was shocked the first time when he did not want payment up front.

Bet almost everyone here knows their customer number.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

And nobody cares aboot you Canadians either...

Only problem here now is our almost "Peso of the North" dollar value. Pin part prices are up. But since there is really no other supplier like PBR, we are stuck with the Exchange rate.

If Steve decided to add Credit Cards to his payment option. I would not mind a % mark up to cover his fee for accepting the card. Keeping Pinball affordable is almost his motto.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I generally email them my orders. It gives them a hard copy and there's no questions about something getting messed up.
    But I have called them and I've talked to Steve about things. I've never found him to be at all difficult to work with. He can get a bit short once in awhile but if you took the amount of calls he gets every day and got asked some of the questions I'm sure he gets asked, it's totally understandable.
    I think the people who have issues are the ones who want to argue with him. I decided from the start he's forgotten more than I'll ever know, so why do something like that. I tell him what I'm going, and I shut up, and I let him go. If he's not busy he will actually talk your ear off and you'll be the one trying to get off the phone because he can go on for quite awhile. I'd love to be able to just go up there and go through that place and see the operation. I ran a warehouse in a previous job and I know about it...all those small parts and keeping them all in order, and the inventory...yikes.
    I think he knows about his curmudgeon image and I would bet he secretly enjoys it.
    Whatever, the simple fact is that he's pretty much an irreplaceable part of the hobby if you're an EM guy. I don't know that he has a succession plan but we should all hope and pray that he does.

I live 45 minutes away and always pickup my order in person. That way I can check to make sure everything is there and there was not miscommunication during my phone order. I agree with all of these observations. I should secretly take some pictures with my phone when I'm there sometime (or just ask him!). The back room where all the machines are set up for hot stamping, winding coils, etc. is really cool. Half that stuff came directly from the Gottlieb factory!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-make-new-em-hardware and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.