(Topic ID: 194992)

Does anyone live directly in the path of the Aug 21 eclipse??

By Underspin

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Vyzer2
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MUTANT (resized).png
    20915654_10212257384542077_518437223328782733_n (resized).jpg
    21032354_10212257381101991_8161852652039017815_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_4395 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4401 (resized).JPG
    Solar Eclipse Swan Valley (resized).jpg
    IMG_0335.PNG
    IMG_0333.GIF
    Eclipse-2017-A92-Area-that-will-see-both-the-2017-and-2024-Eclipses (resized).jpg
    IMG_2794 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9078 (resized).PNG
    2004_aerolite_cub_exterior (resized).jpg
    wyomingswatch (resized).jpg
    TSE2017_Wyoming (resized).jpg
    whole-us (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffspinballpalace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#74 6 years ago

Weather plays a big part and doesn't always cooperate. I'm thinking about driving to Greenville on Monday. Last total eclipse I witnessed was a great experience that I still fondly remember, some 33 years later. An excerpt from AJC newspaper reads ...............

ATLANTA, May 30— From Louisiana to North Carolina, people today were afforded a rare glimpse of a nearly total solar eclipse that turned noontime into an eerie twilight and briefly framed the black shadow of the Moon in a spectacular necklace of light.

The ''diamond necklace'' effect, caused as the Moon passes directly in front of the Sun, was seen by millions of people who gathered here and in other cities in the South to witness the full effect of the eclipse, the last major solar eclipse in the nation this century.

Although the eclipse was most dramatic in the Southeast, some sort of partial eclipse was visible, where weather permitted, throughout all of the nation except Alaska. Rain and clouds obscured views of the eclipse along much of the East Coast, including New York City. Parts of North Carolina and Virginia, which fell along the line where the Moon cast its darkest shadow, also did not see the eclipse because of weather.

In Atlanta, where 99.7 percent of the Sun's surface was covered, street lights came on as skies began to darken some 20 minutes after noon. Howling Dogs Greet Eclipse

The temperature dropped six degrees, flowers closed their petals, dogs howled, pigeons tucked their heads under their wings as if to sleep and the whole city was bathed in a kind of diffused light, not unlike that accompanying the approach of a severe storm.

As the light from the Sun passed through the leaves of trees, it projected on to the sidewalk pavement tiny wedgelike images of its own crescent silhouette.

#75 6 years ago

The clouds behaved over GA that day, as seen in the weather map. Forecasts were for mixed clouds throughout the day. Thinking back, there were two primary cloud forecasts given. One was for clouds moving in and out all day, obscuring the eclipse. The other was for clear skies in the greater metro area and beyond to TN and SC. You could believe whichever forecast was convenient but it was much more touch and go until it happened. The sky was clear blue with a few small transparent clouds in the distance.

The temperature chart shows a warming trend of 4 degrees per hour, leading up to the eclipse. This was reversed, as temperatures dropped 3 degrees in the hour. Temperatures resumed the 4 degree an hour rate climb thereafter. Scary to think how much heat was blocked by the moon. It was something you could feel and it left an impression on me that day in 1984.

IMG_0333.GIFIMG_0333.GIF
    IMG_0335.PNGIMG_0335.PNG

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I was in the path of the totality but it was way too cloudy. I got to see a small partial for about 2 seconds. We got like 5-9 inches of rain yesterday and last night. I am bummed.
    I faintly remember seeing the one in 79 with the pinhole trick. Was a partial then due to location.

So close for something that has been in the planning for years, yet is ultimately dependent on changing last minute local weather. I heard Greenville was fantastic for seeing the total eclipse and chandelier earring (whatever). Atlanta was forecasted for cloudy skies blowing in at 2:30pm. Fortunately that proved incorrect and never materialized, as we enjoyed a cloudless 97% view. While we didn't get any cricket chirping, the skies darkened and my phone measured a 1 degree temperature drop. Whoopee! I survived and enjoyed Elipse17.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffspinballpalace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-live-directly-in-the-path-of-the-aug-21-eclipse?tu=jeffspinballpalace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.