(Topic ID: 194992)

Does anyone live directly in the path of the Aug 21 eclipse??

By Underspin

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Vyzer2
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MUTANT (resized).png
    20915654_10212257384542077_518437223328782733_n (resized).jpg
    21032354_10212257381101991_8161852652039017815_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_4395 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4401 (resized).JPG
    Solar Eclipse Swan Valley (resized).jpg
    IMG_0335.PNG
    IMG_0333.GIF
    Eclipse-2017-A92-Area-that-will-see-both-the-2017-and-2024-Eclipses (resized).jpg
    IMG_2794 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9078 (resized).PNG
    2004_aerolite_cub_exterior (resized).jpg
    wyomingswatch (resized).jpg
    TSE2017_Wyoming (resized).jpg
    whole-us (resized).jpg

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

Looks like Carbondale, IL will be the eclipse capital of the USA. The 100% paths of the 2017 and 2024 eclipses.

Eclipse-2017-A92-Area-that-will-see-both-the-2017-and-2024-Eclipses (resized).jpgEclipse-2017-A92-Area-that-will-see-both-the-2017-and-2024-Eclipses (resized).jpg

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

People are SO MAD that they have to now figure out what to do with their kids.

I could see that, lots of parents both work and can't just take time off whenever.

Our plan is to not leave the house that day, there is going to be a whole lot of crazy going on.

#53 6 years ago

Maybe I'll make the drive to my dad's in SC and check it out. He lives in the Charleston area.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Looks like Carbondale, IL will be the eclipse capital of the USA. The 100% paths of the 2017 and 2024 eclipses.

And it also holds the distinction of having the longest duration of totality for the 2017 eclipse (actually it is a little south of Carbondale, but close enough).

#55 6 years ago

Redman822

Heard the state is pulling all road construction in the southern tip of Illinois because they expect thousands to be swarming the area down there. Any anyone that knows Illinois knows it takes a lot for them to pull those union jobs.......

#56 6 years ago

Can you imagine what a total eclipse was like 500 years ago? People must have gone nuts.

#57 6 years ago

I got a note from Six Flags St. Louis saying that they are going to open up their parking lot for $10 per car. They are limited to the # of cars, I just don't remember how many. The park is closed, so don't plan on any rides. I am not sure whether they will have restrooms available. I hope so.

#58 6 years ago

I am in the path (Clarksville, TN). We do have acreage and do have water available as well. Outdoor kitchen of sorts with fridge and grill. If that fits the bill, let me know.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Can you imagine what a total eclipse was like 500 years ago? People must have gone nuts.

I am sure it would have been deemed godly. Now, imagine you are a high ranking priest with knowledge of astronomy. You could predict this and have people believe you are the conduit to god.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Now, imagine you are a high ranking

Scammer and turn the sun off and offer to turn it back on for $$$$

LTG : )

#61 6 years ago

I caved to the peer pressure. I took the day off work and will be road tripping to Lincoln, NE. Better not be cloudy.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I bet a fun thing would be to go way back in time to where there was going to be an eclipse and tell the cave men, "If I have come to destroy you, may the sun be blotted out from the sky." Just then the eclipse would start, and they'd probably try to kill you or something, but then you could explain about the rotation of the moon and all, and everyone would get a good laugh.

-- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

#63 6 years ago

Total eclipse path forecasted almost directly over my house here in Kalamazoo in 2099. Fortunately I'll be here. Unfortunately I'll be in a position unable to view it at all.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Total eclipse path forecasted almost directly over my house here in Kalamazoo in 2099. Fortunately I'll be here. Unfortunately I'll be in a position unable to view it at all.

Depends on how old you are now and if you make it to the singularity. That'll give you the boost you need.

#65 6 years ago

Yes! Wilson County, Tennessee is right smack in the middle of the line of totality. Very lucky!

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

I bet a fun thing would be to go way back in time to where there was going to be an eclipse and tell the cave men, "If I have come to destroy you, may the sun be blotted out from the sky." Just then the eclipse would start, and they'd probably try to kill you or something, but then you could explain about the rotation of the moon and all, and everyone would get a good laugh.
    -- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Christopher Columbus' ass was saved by a lunar eclipse, believe it or not. This was an instance where he did have astronomy knowledge and used it to keep the natives from killing him and his crew and well fed until they could be saved after being stranded in Jamaica.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Christopher Columbus' ass was saved by a lunar eclipse, believe it or not. This was an instance where he did have astronomy knowledge and used it to keep the natives from killing him and his crew and well fed until they could be saved after being stranded in Jamaica.

That was Apocalypto.

#68 6 years ago

I'll be in Myrtle Beach. I was planning to road trip to visit a few minor league ballparks around the time of the eclipse. I wondered why Greenville and Charleston hotels were so pricy (or just completely unavailable) in and around the 21st...I seriously had no idea people liked the moon and the sun so much.

Needless to say, I re-arranged my schedule.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Depends on how old you are now and if you make it to the singularity. That'll give you the boost you need.

135 then. Highly doubtful.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

I'll be in Myrtle Beach. I was planning to road trip to visit a few minor league ballparks around the time of the eclipse. I wondered why Greenville and Charleston hotels were so pricy (or just completely unavailable) in and around the 21st...I seriously had no idea people liked the moon and the sun so much.
    Needless to say, I re-arranged my schedule.

You made a good choice. Try the next week when everything is cheap again, but avoid 2024

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

135 then. Highly doubtful.

The Singularity is estimated to be in the 2030's, so you just have to get that far, then you're good to go.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

That was Apocalypto.

Pretty sure it was Dudley Do-Right.

1 week later
    #73 6 years ago

Well, Kansas City is now calling for afternoon thunderstorms....say it ain't so........

#74 6 years ago

Weather plays a big part and doesn't always cooperate. I'm thinking about driving to Greenville on Monday. Last total eclipse I witnessed was a great experience that I still fondly remember, some 33 years later. An excerpt from AJC newspaper reads ...............

ATLANTA, May 30— From Louisiana to North Carolina, people today were afforded a rare glimpse of a nearly total solar eclipse that turned noontime into an eerie twilight and briefly framed the black shadow of the Moon in a spectacular necklace of light.

The ''diamond necklace'' effect, caused as the Moon passes directly in front of the Sun, was seen by millions of people who gathered here and in other cities in the South to witness the full effect of the eclipse, the last major solar eclipse in the nation this century.

Although the eclipse was most dramatic in the Southeast, some sort of partial eclipse was visible, where weather permitted, throughout all of the nation except Alaska. Rain and clouds obscured views of the eclipse along much of the East Coast, including New York City. Parts of North Carolina and Virginia, which fell along the line where the Moon cast its darkest shadow, also did not see the eclipse because of weather.

In Atlanta, where 99.7 percent of the Sun's surface was covered, street lights came on as skies began to darken some 20 minutes after noon. Howling Dogs Greet Eclipse

The temperature dropped six degrees, flowers closed their petals, dogs howled, pigeons tucked their heads under their wings as if to sleep and the whole city was bathed in a kind of diffused light, not unlike that accompanying the approach of a severe storm.

As the light from the Sun passed through the leaves of trees, it projected on to the sidewalk pavement tiny wedgelike images of its own crescent silhouette.

#75 6 years ago

The clouds behaved over GA that day, as seen in the weather map. Forecasts were for mixed clouds throughout the day. Thinking back, there were two primary cloud forecasts given. One was for clouds moving in and out all day, obscuring the eclipse. The other was for clear skies in the greater metro area and beyond to TN and SC. You could believe whichever forecast was convenient but it was much more touch and go until it happened. The sky was clear blue with a few small transparent clouds in the distance.

The temperature chart shows a warming trend of 4 degrees per hour, leading up to the eclipse. This was reversed, as temperatures dropped 3 degrees in the hour. Temperatures resumed the 4 degree an hour rate climb thereafter. Scary to think how much heat was blocked by the moon. It was something you could feel and it left an impression on me that day in 1984.

IMG_0333.GIFIMG_0333.GIF
    IMG_0335.PNGIMG_0335.PNG

#76 6 years ago

I must be the only person who doesn't care about this, and I even live in the path. It's just the moon going in front of the sun, I know it doesn't happen very often, but the way people were acting you'd think that there was a plane dropping billions of dollars in this line across the US, lol.

#77 6 years ago

Yep. I am. Took off the afternoon and going to an eclipse party at a friend's boat dock. Should be a blast.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I must be the only person who doesn't care about this, and I even live in the path. It's just the moon going in front of the sun, I know it doesn't happen very often, but the way people were acting you'd think that there was a plane dropping billions of dollars in this line across the US, lol.

Have you ever experienced a total solar eclipse? Not a 80% eclipse, but a total one. I have not, but it's been described as one of the most awe inspiring things that you can experience on this planet. There are not that many things that will happen to you in your life that will impose such a life changing perspective on you. You'll be able to see the stars and planets in the middle of the eclipse. The world around you will instantly become an eerie wonderland that seems completely normal yet unlike anything else that you've seen before. Take the 5 minutes to enjoy this experience, you may never experience it again. In 2024 the total eclipse will happen very close to me, I'll be going to that one for sure. This time we're only getting about 75% coverage, but it's still worth the experience.

In the words of Kendrick Lamar- "sit down, be humble"

Lol. Nothing personal, I just think that people shouldn't waste the opportunity

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

It's just a bunch of people having some fun. Something I think we could use right now.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I must be the only person who doesn't care about this, and I even live in the path.

You should take time to enjoy this tomorrow because football season starts next week and it will be 4 months of agony for you Husker fans.

OH-IO

#81 6 years ago

I'm taking off half a day tomorrow so I can watch it from home. We're in the 99.78% and I have a clear shot from my front yard. We thought about going to Rock City for the views, but with construction in the area they've funneled everyone onto one very narrow road up/down the mountain, and I have a feeling we'd be stuck forever for traffic and probable car wrecks. Our zoo is also opening up their large field for people to view it there and watch the animals react to the eclipse, so we might end up there if traffic isn't crazy in that direction.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

You should take time to enjoy this tomorrow because football season starts next week and it will be 4 months of agony for you Husker fans.
    OH-IO

The planets are literally aligning over the hallowed grounds of Memorial Stadium. It's the year of the HUSKERS!

#83 6 years ago

I can honestly say that was one of the most amazing sights I've ever experienced yesterday. Truly amazing.

#84 6 years ago

I live directly in the path of the 2024 one. Yes 100%.

#85 6 years ago

Well, how was the traffic for those in the pathway? Did half the country come and camp out in your neighborhood? Were the highways clogged up?

#86 6 years ago

Traffic here in Charleston was fine, it never got jammed up.

#87 6 years ago

I'm accepting bids for a couch space for the Dallas 2024 eclipse. Almost certainly guaranteed access to alcohol and pinball at the location.

#88 6 years ago

For anybody who didn't fly, drive, or walk to get into the path of totality, you MUST do so in 2024. I promise that you will never see anything so amazing as what the sun looks like in full eclipse. It was breathtaking. I can't describe how it looked, and I can't even come close to describing how it felt. Pictures and video do no justice. You. Must. Go. Sell a pin or two or three. Just do what you need to get the time, the money, and the means to go.

Here's a composite of pics I took yesterday in Swan Valley, Idaho.

Solar Eclipse Swan Valley (resized).jpgSolar Eclipse Swan Valley (resized).jpg

Quoted from blondetall:

I'm taking off half a day tomorrow so I can watch it from home. We're in the 99.78% and I have a clear shot from my front yard. We thought about going to Rock City for the views, but with construction in the area they've funneled everyone onto one very narrow road up/down the mountain, and I have a feeling we'd be stuck forever for traffic and probable car wrecks. Our zoo is also opening up their large field for people to view it there and watch the animals react to the eclipse, so we might end up there if traffic isn't crazy in that direction.

OMG, please tell me you didn't watch it so close to the totality path and not go.

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

OMG, please tell me you didn't watch it so close to the totality path and not go.

I would have had to drive a good hour north to be in totality. Between mandatory work (because city-wide lists of warnings made it sound like the freaking apocalypse was happening and therefore half the town was taking off work and hiding at home,) a very sick husband that I can't plan anything around, reports of "the worst traffic in history" in the 100% areas above us all weekend, etc... I wasn't able to do more than watch in the front yard. And it was interesting but honestly disappointing. I wrongly assumed that way less than 1% would be more exciting. It got dark-ish like a cloudy/stormy day for about 3 minutes, the street lights came on, the crickets chirped, then it was back to normal. At least I was able to see the sun without cloud cover like lots of people had to deal with.

#90 6 years ago

I was in the path of the totality but it was way too cloudy. I got to see a small partial for about 2 seconds. We got like 5-9 inches of rain yesterday and last night. I am bummed.

I faintly remember seeing the one in 79 with the pinhole trick. Was a partial then due to location.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I was in the path of the totality but it was way too cloudy. I got to see a small partial for about 2 seconds. We got like 5-9 inches of rain yesterday and last night. I am bummed.
    I faintly remember seeing the one in 79 with the pinhole trick. Was a partial then due to location.

So close for something that has been in the planning for years, yet is ultimately dependent on changing last minute local weather. I heard Greenville was fantastic for seeing the total eclipse and chandelier earring (whatever). Atlanta was forecasted for cloudy skies blowing in at 2:30pm. Fortunately that proved incorrect and never materialized, as we enjoyed a cloudless 97% view. While we didn't get any cricket chirping, the skies darkened and my phone measured a 1 degree temperature drop. Whoopee! I survived and enjoyed Elipse17.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

chandelier earring (whatever).

"Bailey's beads" and the "Diamond Ring"

#93 6 years ago

I would have had to drive 250 miles. It was directly over a small Nebraska town my grandparents lived in. I'm retired. The drive would have on been no problem, but as noted above, the reports were that traffic was going to be "like Woodstock 200 times over" and that "small towns with a few hundred people were going to swell to thousands". I bought the media hype and stayed home and caught what I could in the backyard.

Things got very peaceful. I assume everybody had stopped to watch. There were no cars moving. Birds started roosting. Crickets chirped. It was not dark;It was not light. It was a strange looking atmosphere for an hour. A neighbor shared some Eclipse glasses so I got to see some black over orange.

I read that one way to could "view" it is by looking at the crescent shapes of light would be cast through the trees. I managed to take some pics of the crescents. It rather strange to see an area I walk on every day look like this.

IMG_4395 (resized).JPGIMG_4395 (resized).JPG IMG_4401 (resized).JPGIMG_4401 (resized).JPG

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I would have had to drive 250 miles. It was directly over a small Nebraska town my grandparents lived in. I'm retired. The drive would have on been no problem, but as noted above, the reports were that traffic was going to be "like Woodstock 200 times over" and that "small towns with a few hundred people were going to swell to thousands".

I heard this as well, but traffic for me was was pretty much non-existent (at least traffic that was attributable to the eclipse).

I drove 1100+ miles (round trip) and was in the car for 20+ hours to get into/out of totality. Totally worth it--would drive twice as far to do it again. Luckily, totality for the 2024 eclipse is only 15 minutes away for me, but I will likely drive closer to the center and toward more favorable weather (as needed).

Start your planning now! http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2024_GoogleMapFull.html

#95 6 years ago

No joke, we're already planning how to get to the 2024 eclipse.

People...you REALLY need to get into the path of totality next time. 99.9% isn't good enough. You miss everything that is spectacular by not being in the totality path. Whatever it takes to get there next time, do it. Go. Go. Go. Go.

I would sell any pinball machine I owned to get there if I came to it. It's not just a "neat" experience. It's overwhelmingly powerful and truly awesome in every meaning of the word. Days later, I can't stop thinking about it.

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

People...you REALLY need to get into the path of totality next time. 99.9% isn't good enough. You miss everything that is spectacular by not being in the totality path. Whatever it takes to get there next time, do it. Go. Go. Go. Go.
    I would sell any pinball machine I owned to get there if I came to it. It's not just a "neat" experience. It's overwhelmingly powerful and truly awesome in every meaning of the word. Days later, I can't stop thinking about it.

Agree 100%. My wife (I'm sure) is sick of me talking about it (she didn't go to see totality)--but it is hard to stop.

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Agree 100%. My wife (I'm sure) is sick of me talking about it (she didn't go to see totality)--but it is hard to stop.

Same here...but the sucky part is that she does corporate taxes and unless she changes jobs to a company that is on a 'fiscal year' accounting versus calendar year accounting, she won't be able to go to that one either since it it is on April 8, 2024...

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

2020 in Patagonia

#99 6 years ago

So I was clearly unable to join the cool kids to see totality. We did have a decent experience on the shores of Lake Michigan though. The lighting was pretty crazy, it dropped 10 degrees, birds went silent etc. We even got out a colander to see how the shadows would cast.

We will be participants in 2024 however. After reading the current posts there's no way I'm missing the next one.

21032354_10212257381101991_8161852652039017815_n (resized).jpg21032354_10212257381101991_8161852652039017815_n (resized).jpg

20915654_10212257384542077_518437223328782733_n (resized).jpg20915654_10212257384542077_518437223328782733_n (resized).jpg

#100 6 years ago

Sorry, but couldn't help myself and looked directly into the eclipse.

MUTANT (resized).pngMUTANT (resized).png

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-live-directly-in-the-path-of-the-aug-21-eclipse/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.