(Topic ID: 194992)

Does anyone live directly in the path of the Aug 21 eclipse??

By Underspin

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Vyzer2
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MUTANT (resized).png
    20915654_10212257384542077_518437223328782733_n (resized).jpg
    21032354_10212257381101991_8161852652039017815_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_4395 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4401 (resized).JPG
    Solar Eclipse Swan Valley (resized).jpg
    IMG_0335.PNG
    IMG_0333.GIF
    Eclipse-2017-A92-Area-that-will-see-both-the-2017-and-2024-Eclipses (resized).jpg
    IMG_2794 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9078 (resized).PNG
    2004_aerolite_cub_exterior (resized).jpg
    wyomingswatch (resized).jpg
    TSE2017_Wyoming (resized).jpg
    whole-us (resized).jpg
    There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

Does anyone live directly in the path of the Aug 21 eclipse? If so, do you have any special plans for the event?

Additionally, for those that live between say Kansas City and Nashville, would you be willing to to host a father and two children with a popup camper? Because as you can imagine there are zero hotels available anywhere.

We're in Michigan. I'm not even sure I can swing this, but if the option becomes available it would be one of those "once in a lifetime" events that I'd like to share with my kids.

Thanks Pinsiders

whole-us (resized).jpgwhole-us (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I was fortunate enough to witness the 1999 eclipse in Northern France. It was only partial in Paris, where I was living at that time.
    We drove our car about 60 miles north to observe the full eclipse - this was the real treat: amazing experience - nothing like sunset / dawn.

Gook luck finding a good spot to see it; it's worth the trip.

#3 6 years ago

Just a little north. Will be about 93% here.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from dnapac:

Just a little north. Will be about 93% here.

Believe me, the difference between 93 and 100% is enormous, and worth the drive... just take into account possible traffic jams: you might not be the only one willing to see the total eclipse!

#5 6 years ago

Remember you have to look directly
    At it to see the corona.

#6 6 years ago

We are actually in Gallatin TN which is one of the direct path cities. Hotels have been sold out for months and campgrounds we're booked close to a year ago though.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Believe me, the difference between 93 and 100% is enormous, and worth the drive... just take into account possible traffic jams: you might not be the only one willing to see the total eclipse!

Wish I could, but I have to work. But should be able to sneak outside to watch for a few minutes. Gotta pay for that next pin somehow.

#8 6 years ago

We are in the direct path (100% coverage) at about 2:30 in the afternoon (Duncan, SC - right between Greenville and Spartanburg). I am not sure what the availability is for hotels/campgrounds around here.

-scott

#9 6 years ago

I just found out about this a few days ago. I did some research. It is nuts how much hotels are going for. A small town in Wyoming of 300 will turn into 30,000. I think we are around 90%. I'd like to see pictures of what 100% and 90% look like.

Quoted from Underspin:

We're in Michigan. I'm not even sure I can swing this, but if the option becomes available it would be one of those "once in a lifetime" events that I'd like to share with my kids.

I'm sure your kids will be older but the 2024 total eclipse will be much closer to you.

#10 6 years ago

Have relatives in Casper, WY which is directly in the path - should be a good show! I've heard hotels and campgrounds have been booked there for over a year.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

Have relatives in Casper, WY which is directly in the path - should be a good show! I've heard hotels and campgrounds have been booked there for over a year.

i guess people are renting out their houses....crazy.

i was born in casper, but i will probably go to riverton where i grew up to check it out, as it is in the same path basically.

TSE2017_Wyoming (resized).jpgTSE2017_Wyoming (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

#13 6 years ago

!00% totality here in Sunset Hills, Missouri. The longest totality is near Carbondale in Southern Illinois. Newspapers here are reporting that some folks in that area are renting out their homes for as much as 3000 bucks.
    The last time we had a total solar eclipse here was in the year 1455!

If I had room for a camper here, you would certainly be welcome.

#14 6 years ago

I am in Nashville. Come on. Welcome anytime. I have 3 acres you can crash on, but stuff going on all over town.

#15 6 years ago

I have a cabin in Murphy NC 100% eclipse. I will be going up to spend a long weekend with my Taxi some dark glasses...

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

The path of totality cuts a big swatch across Wyoming.

wyomingswatch (resized).jpgwyomingswatch (resized).jpg

If I can live to be 138 I'll see totality here in Wisconsin in 2099!

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Remember you have to look directly
    At it to see the corona.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety2.html

LTG : )

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I am in Nashville. Come on. Welcome anytime. I have 3 acres you can crash on, but stuff going on all over town.

Seriously? Wow that would be perfect. I know that Nashville would be nuts. We would come as prepared as possible. No food out needed. No fuel needed. Just set up, watch and go. Thanks for the offer that's super cool. If I'm able to get free here expect a PM from me.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

Seriously? Wow that would be perfect. I know that Nashville would be nuts. We would come as prepared as possible. No food out needed. No fuel needed. Just set up, watch and go. Thanks for the offer that's super cool. If I'm able to get free here expect a PM from me.

This is what I wish Pinside was more of.................can I get a "Hell Yes"?.......

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

I just found out about this a few days ago. I did some research. It is nuts how much hotels are going for. A small town in Wyoming of 300 will turn into 30,000. I think we are around 90%. I'd like to see pictures of what 100% and 90% look like.

I'm sure your kids will be older but the 2024 total eclipse will be much closer to you.

We'll make sure to plan ahead more for the 2024 eclipse

We drove from MI to Utah and back for a wedding a couple weeks back. It was in Nebraska somewhere on I80 where we stopped and I learned of it. This gas station was loaded with eclipse stuff for sale. They were apparently directly on the path and every hotel for 50 miles had been sold out for months.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

This is what I wish Pinside was more of.................can I get a "Hell Yes"?.......

Hell yes! Pinside IS this. I had a feeling if I reached out here that a fellow Pinsider might respond. We're all part of a fraternity here.

#22 6 years ago

That is cool, i live in the path, there are so many people here in Nebraska already feom all over , its pretty wild to see the attention to it.

#23 6 years ago

I'm in the path...considered renting out either rooms or some of my acreage, but then decided against dealing with the influx. However, I'm still skeptical with how many folks will come into the middle of WY

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from wyopin:

I'm in the path...considered renting out either rooms or some of my acreage, but then decided against dealing with the influx. However, I'm still skeptical with how many folks will come into the middle of WY

Yeah they're coming anyway. Might as well profit on it a little bit. I know my host won't be empty handed when we leave!

#25 6 years ago

I'm south of St. Louis and in a great path of totality.
    I'm having a big pool party.Lots of people off of work.
    Night time fireworks in the middle of the day in total darkness.

#26 6 years ago

I'm in the path of totality for 2 minutes 23 seconds at 2:38 PM that day.

#27 6 years ago

I'll be in Great Exuma, Bahamas during the eclipse. Had no idea about it when I booked the trip, but since I hate crowds and traffic, I'm thinking I'll be happy with 80-90% and nice blue water with no people.

For those of you in the path, I wish you nothing but cloud-free skies. Use eye protection!

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

Hell yes! Pinside IS this. I had a feeling if I reached out here that a fellow Pinsider might respond. We're all part of a fraternity here.

And in that vein, Tim, how big is your camper? (And I am only half joking.)

Or maybe woody76 could also accommodate a tent on his property. Going to try to swing this with 2 boys in tow as well. But I think I need to look at the predictions on cloud cover and where the better percentages are going to be for clear skies.

Much like others, I am getting in on this *way* too late.

#29 6 years ago

Lloyed, I'm pretty much sure everyone here is smarter than I am and knows NOT to look directly at it so me saying my that was alL in fun.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

And in that vein, Tim, how big is your camper? (And I am only half joking.)
    Or maybe woody76 could also accommodate a tent on his property. Going to try to swing this with 2 boys in tow as well. But I think I need to look at the predictions on cloud cover and where the better percentages are going to be for clear skies.
    Much like others, I am getting in on this *way* too late.

I do also own a 25' Aerolite Cub But due to distance and the short duration (and dealing with potential traffic issues) the popup will be the way to go.

Best of luck to you and the boys. I'll go where I can regardless of weather predictions, that is unless it's obvious something torrential will be there.

2004_aerolite_cub_exterior (resized).jpg2004_aerolite_cub_exterior (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Lloyed, I'm pretty much sure everyone here is smarter than I am and knows NOT to look directly at it so me saying my that was alL in fun.

I know that. Yet you never know who all reads these posts. It doesn't effect you right away. It happens later like sunburn. So people may not really know how serious it is.

LTG : )

#32 6 years ago

I am in the path of totality, super excited.

My dad is coming into town to view it with my family. We've bought a pack of the eclipse glasses and a sheet of the same filter material to tape over some camera rigs we are messing with.

Charleston is expecting over a million tourists to visit.

#33 6 years ago

I am at 98%+ here in Eugene Oregon I may head north 30 miles on the morning of to get into the 100% zone

IMG_9078 (resized).PNGIMG_9078 (resized).PNG

#34 6 years ago

I am right in the path for it...so stoked. Going to volunteer at the kiddos elementary school for the day. Not going to miss this!

#35 6 years ago

I ordered a 10 pack of solar glasses. I'm nowhere close to the line of the eclipse I think we're around 75% here.

IMG_2794 (resized).PNGIMG_2794 (resized).PNG

#36 6 years ago

Ive heard pricing to stay somewhere around the KC area is insane....woman says we can rent our spare bedroom out....

#37 6 years ago

We were right in line for the 2012 95% eclipse where the moon looked like it had a ring around it at the peak. It was pretty cool, but I don't know if I'd make a huge drive to see a total eclipse. I will say that getting solar eclipse-safe glasses for that one was a bitch. Sold out everywhere, and crazy prices.

The most interesting thing about that 2012 eclipse was the spaces between the leaves on trees in our neighborhood making hundreds of "mini projections" of the eclipse on the sidewalk. Almost like a kaleidoscope.

#38 6 years ago

I was considering taking the kids out of a school and going to an invite I had at a farm that would normally be 40 minutes from me. Thinking about it the schools have a whole curriculum for the eclipse and I've been taking off work a lot over the summer. Since I'm a traffic engineer, my plan is to observe the traffic patterns in South St. Louis and will by happenstance close to the optimal totality. I'll have my glasses ready to go for my break.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

Ive heard pricing to stay somewhere around the KC area is insane....woman says we can rent our spare bedroom out....

My friend in the country on the full eclipse path turned his lawn into a 20 space campsite.

$150 a night on airbnb, said he's sold out for 5 days.

15k minus airbnb fees and portapottie rentals

Unbelievable

#40 6 years ago

Just enough left over for BM66SLE

#41 6 years ago

I do

#42 6 years ago

We are close. In 99% zone. If it is not overcast we plan to sit on our boat dock with welding hoods.

#43 6 years ago

Our schools aren't having school the day of the eclipse because they figure it will be crazy around here.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Our schools aren't having school the day of the eclipse because they figure it will be crazy around here.

Our schools will still be on Summer vacation

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Our schools will still be on Summer vacation

It's technically the last day of summer vacation for ours as well. They were originally slated to start back on the 21st, the day of the eclipse, then the school board decided to delay it a day for the eclipse.

The time of the eclipse here would be the time elementary and middle school busses are running their afternoon routes, what a disaster that would be.

They are already overplaying this commercial by the state highway patrol pleading with people to not wear eclipse glasses while driving and to not stop on the interstate to watch.

#46 6 years ago

I am in the 100% path - I may pull a pin out of the garage & play by the dark of the eclipse.

#47 6 years ago

100%. I'll be just south of COlumbia, MO at work for it. Not looking forward to traffic that day [and the thunderstorms - any celestial event in MO almost ALWAYS is accompanied by clouds or rain].
    Wish I had an extra room or campgrounds to rent out.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

!00% totality here in Sunset Hills, Missouri. The longest totality is near Carbondale in Southern Illinois. Newspapers here are reporting that some folks in that area are renting out their homes for as much as 3000 bucks.
    The last time we had a total solar eclipse here was in the year 1455!
    If I had room for a camper here, you would certainly be welcome.

Quoted from Elevatorman:

I'm south of St. Louis and in a great path of totality.
    I'm having a big pool party.Lots of people off of work.
    Night time fireworks in the middle of the day in total darkness.

Right now I have a hotel room booked in O'Fallon, IL (20 mins east of St. Louis) with general plans to go to Carbondale, but that's gonna be crazy. Ultimately, I am going to head to where the weather isn't...I am just bummed that Six Flags St. Louis is closed during the week already by then...it would have been cool to get roller coasters (one of my other hobbies) in shots...

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I am in the 100% path - I may pull a pin out of the garage & play by the dark of the eclipse.

Put you a sign up. Play eclipse pinball $50.00. Who knows the tourist might line up.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm at the 99% mark with 100% about 30 minutes north. I don't have kids, but our schools started back this week and they've announced they'll be closed the day of the eclipse claiming safety since it is when they're dismissing and putting kids on buses. People are SO MAD that they have to now figure out what to do with their kids.

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-live-directly-in-the-path-of-the-aug-21-eclipse/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.