(Topic ID: 235026)

Does anyone leave their pins on when they are not playing

By fatality83

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you leave your pins on for extended periods of time when not playing them?”

• I only turn my games on to play them, then turn them off when I am done 207 votes
      81%
    • I leave mine on on the weekends or when I will be home all day long 44 votes
      17%
    • I leave mine on 24/7, they double as a nite light. 6 votes
      2%

(257 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KAWMP4400-2 (resized).jpg
    D8D1D946-E83F-49E4-8928-85840B82172D (resized).jpeg

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Just curious if anyone leaves their pins on when they are not playing them. Sometimes on the weekend I may leave mine one for extended periods of time because I like to look at the attract modes and listen to the call outs and randomly start a game hear and there. I know it probably adds more wear and tear so I don't do it much. Just curious if anyone else does this or maybe even leaves a game on all the time

#2 5 years ago

plenty of people. Personally I only turn them on when I play...although I just left mine on after a particularity long Saturday night

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leave-games-on-or-turn-off

#3 5 years ago

I turn the whole row on every night about 6.
    Sometimes they'll get played non stop, sometimes not at all.
    But LOOK AT DEM LIGHTS BILLY

#4 5 years ago

I have no reservations leaving mine powered on like this, especially those with LED lighting. Attract modes in modern games can be very dazzling, and I like to gawk too.

The games are designed to be powered on for extended periods on location, and many stay powered-up 24/7 for extended periods and survive much tougher treatment than they ever would in a home.

I’d actually expect that frequent power-cycling would be harder on the electronics than leaving them on, particularly the power supplies (due to inrush current).

#5 5 years ago

I turn them all on Friday after work and leave them on until Sunday evening.

#6 5 years ago

I leave mine on overnight sometimes, because i forget to turn them off - but generally they go off when I’m done..

#7 5 years ago

I usually only turn them on when playing, but occasionally I'll just leave them all on for a day as a stress test. I've found a few issues with boards or connectors that had been hiding like that.

#8 5 years ago

Newbies ask me this question all the time about there new game they just bought, if they should leave it running all the time or not. I always ask them, "would you leave your car running all the time?". The short answer is NO!

John

#9 5 years ago

If I'm playing them, enjoying the sight of them, or testing them in some way, they reman on. Otherwise, why waste the electricity.

#10 5 years ago

Some people say watching fish in a fish tank is a stress reliever and therapeutic.

I think watching the lights in my games for awhile can have the same effect.

That being said, unless I'm in the room or playing, the games are turned off most of the time. Luckily most of my days can be stress free.

#11 5 years ago

A lot of location games are on 12+ hours a day and when they break it's generally not related to just being turned on. It might not be ideal, but it's not quite the same thing as leaving a car running all day

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I turn the whole row on every night about 6.
    Sometimes they'll get played non stop, sometimes not at all.
    But LOOK AT DEM LIGHTS BILLY

THIS!!!!

#13 5 years ago

Not until I sell power back to this smartmeter.

D8D1D946-E83F-49E4-8928-85840B82172D (resized).jpegD8D1D946-E83F-49E4-8928-85840B82172D (resized).jpeg

#14 5 years ago

I left my first game on until I got that first power bill.

#15 5 years ago

I only turn the ones that have memory caps in them for extended periods of time. Otherwise just don't need high electricity bills for no reason.

#16 5 years ago

Solar power is a wonderful thing.

Mine only go off if I'm leaving the house for more than overnight.

#17 5 years ago

I hate electric bills.

#18 5 years ago

If I'm playing mine, working on one of them or anywhere near them, I have all of mine turned on to enjoy just watching/looking at them.
    It is nice to just sit down and have a beer while watching them.

#19 5 years ago

As a holder of several Utility COmpaNy stocks, I like those of you who leave them on all the time. Just like Christmas light displays that use incandescent bulbs.

I love those dividend checks.

#20 5 years ago

If I’m playing, I like to “turn on the room”. Even if I’m only planning on playing the one game. It gives me an Arcade kind of feeling that I like.

#21 5 years ago

I used to turn them all on, even if I was just playing one. Now I usually just turn on the one I'm playing, but I'll leave it on if I go play a different one. Sometimes I'll turn them all on just to look at them, though......

#22 5 years ago

I only turn on a game if i am going to play it then turn it off when i'm done.

#23 5 years ago

When I go in the basement I turn them all on. I might only plan on playing one machine, but with them all on, another game might call my name. I leave them all on while I’m in the basement even if I have finished playing. When I’m done in the basement I turn them all off.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

Solar power is a wonderful thing.

If you have solar power, your just like a NIB pin buyer and you prepaid for 20years of electricity or games.

#25 5 years ago

I suspect if some people here on pinside powered on all their machines you’d see that scene in Christmas vacation where the nuclear auxiliary had to kick in....

#26 5 years ago

Nah I don't really get off on wasting electricity or putting unnecessary stress on components.

#27 5 years ago

Just for some baseline Iron Maiden pro uses 70W in attract mode

#28 5 years ago

For those that leave your games on - how many have the attract sounds on? I like the light show but don't need random noises booming out in my home. Got plenty of that with kids.

#29 5 years ago

Yeah, sometimes I do turn my
    main floor games on usually only at night though.
    Love the show and the glow.
    p.s.
    couple hours on the electric bill
    ain't gonna break me.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

For those that leave your games on - how many have the attract sounds on? I like the light show but don't need random noises booming out in my home. Got plenty of that with kids.

I don't leave my games on but have those attract sounds shut off. The only two that I can't shut off are T2 and Zac Time Machine. The Time Machine has memory caps in it, so when I leave it on to charge, I hear every once in a while... "THE TIME MACHINE IS WAITING...". Scares the crap out of me sometimes!

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Scares the crap out of me sometimes!

This absolutely.

The sound randomly kicking on lasted about 10 minutes before I decided I didn't want a heart attack.
    Otherwise the machines are on if I'm in the room. Very therapeutic.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

No, except for the TZ, which has a setting that randomly plays the 4-note theme once, some random number of minutes after the last play. Hearing that suddenly coming from another room _never_ gets old.

#33 5 years ago

What does an average game use in electricity? I am on solar as well... but why not bank that power

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from JMCFAN:

What does an average game use in electricity? I am on solar as well... but why not bank that power

I've measured my CV with incandescent (288W) and with LEDs (228W) in attract mode. Sounds like from post #27 above, Spike games are a lot less (<100W).

#35 5 years ago

Where is the "It depends on how much I've been drinking" option in the poll?

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Where is the "It depends on how much I've been drinking" option in the poll?

That definitely plays a part in it! Sometimes I'll tie one on and go downstairs specifically to turn them on and look at them for a while.....

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

That definitely plays a part in it! Sometimes I'll tie one on and go downstairs specifically to turn them on and look at them for a while.....

Glad I am not the only one who drunkenly stumbles into the game room to just look in amazement.

Quoted from plovis:

This absolutely.
    The sound randomly kicking on lasted about 10 minutes before I decided I didn't want a heart attack.
    Otherwise the machines are on if I'm in the room. Very therapeutic.

Hahhaha my Addams family always scares the crap out of me. I have all my games turned up loud and the addams does a little musical attract thing (dun na na na nat nuh) that makes me jump even if I am in the next room. But it never gets old

#38 5 years ago

Yep. Not during the week but Friday or Saturday night after my first beer/wine/gin or whatever.

Pinball machines are fantastic, I love playing them but sometimes I just like to sit back, relax, and look at them too - and count my lucky stars that I'm lucky enough to own a couple.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from John-G:

Yep. Not during the week but Friday or Saturday night after my first beer/wine/gin or whatever.
    Pinball machines are fantastic, I love playing them but sometimes I just like to sit back, relax, and look at them too - and count my lucky stars that I'm lucky enough to own a couple.

Well said John-G, well said.

#40 5 years ago

I will turn on a handful of them at a time if I’m only going to play one. They are on shared switches.

I have all attract music and sounds turned off.

#41 5 years ago

I like the attract modes. There's nothing like jumping out of your seat when you are focused on soldering something late at night and Cyclone yells out "Hey! You with the face!"

Don C.

#42 5 years ago

I leave mine on 12 hours a day, six days a week. And ten hours on Sunday.

LTG : )

#43 5 years ago

I turn mine on when I play my first game of the day (varies), off at bedtime. I also have Christmas lights (mostly LEDs) around the house year round - they go on at cocktail hour and off at bedtime.

#44 5 years ago

Because I live in a ridiculously cold state, they typically double as a heat source in my basement.

#45 5 years ago

When you have 62 games to turn on, it gets old fast. I only turn the one I want to play or if I have a party than i turn them all on.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

Glad I am not the only one who drunkenly stumbles into the game room to just look in amazement.

Hahhaha my Addams family always scares the crap out of me. I have all my games turned up loud and the addams does a little musical attract thing (dun na na na nat nuh) that makes me jump even if I am in the next room. But it never gets old

Certainly had a few, turned a couple on for mood effect (maybe even played a game or two). Then walked away for a couple more....

15 minutes later, it's Freddy that freakin gets me to leap sometimes.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

For those that leave your games on - how many have the attract sounds on?

Attract sounds are off on all of my games. I’m always thinking about playing them, so not need for them to “attract” me...ever.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Don_C:

I like the attract modes. There's nothing like jumping out of your seat when you are focused on soldering something late at night and Cyclone yells out "Hey! You with the face!"
    Don C.

Sometimes I am working on a game with my other games on and accidentally trigger sounds brushing up on flipper buttons as I slide between games. Shadow is the worst. It has one that is just a loud screech. Freaks me out every time and I have to turn the game off. Love it, though lol.

#49 5 years ago

If it's been slow in the game room, I'll turn them on for about 90 minutes maybe once a week or 10 days.
    When the wife asks why I'm wasting electricity, I tell her I'm doing a "warm solder flow test" so as to keep things hummin.'
    Actually when there's been a drought of play, I just enjoy seeing all the lights again.

#50 5 years ago

This thread is starting to sound like the confessions thread

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-leave-their-pins-on-when-they-are-not-playing?hl=jwjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.