(Topic ID: 240094)

Does anyone know what the machine is called that

By PinballAlley

3 years ago

Topic Stats

  • 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Darcy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite


Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

    Topic Gallery

    View topic image gallery

    images.jpgStern (resized).jpg
    85791B8F-2F2A-40B9-BFFD-F4E79E0A8337 (resized).png

    #1 3 years ago

    Does anyone know what the machine that cuts the playfields for the pinball is called?. Do they ever come up for sale. Over the years visiting factories I have seen them and they are quite the thing. It would be fun to restore one and learn to use it. Thanks for any help-Jerry

    #4 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAlley:

    does that stand for something?

    Computer Numeric Control

    #5 3 years ago
    85791B8F-2F2A-40B9-BFFD-F4E79E0A8337 (resized).png
    #6 3 years ago

    You guys are awesome! Now onward and upward!

    #7 3 years ago

    Since the 1940s up until the CNC Router was invented, the playfields were placed into a machine that had repositionable drilling locations. Guessing a type of press that also registered the holes for the playfield screws.

    There is a video of this process, done during the late 1970's showing the playfield manufacturing.

    images.jpgStern (resized).jpg
    This is at Stern, an oldie but a goodie. They could be still using it.


    Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

    Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

    Donate to Pinside

    Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!