2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4958 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5904 (resized).jpg
    SB (resized).jpg
    IMG_0015 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0023 (resized).JPG
    Spirit on a pallet in California Warehouse. (resized).JPG
    IMG_0014 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0017 (resized).JPG
    0fbe0fa3c0843bd3e54db7d396ed133e1a4230a2 (resized).jpg
    e807e3baa3db6dd69ff3e1213fba8df493a069bd (resized).jpg
    dc4f364f2c70e5e72d595dd59c7ad61f6d418a31 (resized).jpg
    f7460f91873803f935cd58b3c341a28dbd514185 (resized).jpg
    63e8d834a9a993f9156cd259b3fae1d27a3a8a3b.jpeg (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I'm looking for a couple of good, reasonable shipping companies. Also, does anyone know the average range for prices? thanks and have pintastic day.

#3 2 years ago

Dont ship a pin on its legs.
    Regardless of endless debate and opinions.
    Legs off, coin door towards sky. Wrapped and strapped to a pallett.
    More stories of trouble than sucesss.
    Consider paying for full crate job as discused in the..STI just ruined my Medival Madness thread.

#7 2 years ago

If shipping with STI shipping with legs on is perfectly fine... pack it well and it will be just as safe or safer than any other option. I prefer shipping and receiving my pins legs on as does many here.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

If shipping with STI shipping with legs on is perfectly fine... pack it well and it will be just as safe or safer than any other option. I prefer shipping and receiving my pins legs on as does many here.

See, here they come.
    Opinions. We all have them.
    Its your money, and going to be your pin.
    Do you want to roll the dice?
    No reason to chance it.
    Thats better than legs on anyday.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

See, here they come.
    Opinions. We all have them.
    Its your money, and going to be your pin.
    Do you want to roll the dice?
    No reason to chance it.
    Thats better than legs on anyday.

If packed properly legs on is just fine...

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Roll the dice i say. Im only at 20 ships, what do i know? Heres a picture of pallett jack jammed against front legs and head of pin going bouncy bounce on glass and metal rails all the way home. Dented on arrival.

63e8d834a9a993f9156cd259b3fae1d27a3a8a3b.jpeg (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

I have a picture for every arguement against shipping on Legs.

#12 2 years ago

Legs on or off can be debated either way. Wrapping it up & shipping with the legs on, requires some luck to have no damage. Which I've seen several times. When a pin is properly packaged & then banded/strapped to a crate it gives you the highest odds for zero damage. Except of course for building a crate around the pin after it's banded to the pallet. Now, it's near bullet proof.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Key word "IF"..even had guys tell me one thing and do it there way. Ive only had one shipped correctly.

#14 2 years ago

just had one shipped from California to st. louis with sti. $426 with legs off,sitting on pallet. no damage at all. I would think common sense would tell you a lower center of gravity is a good thing!

#15 2 years ago

Shipped over 500 pins with legs on with STI (formerly NAVL) for decades and had fewer damage claims than I can count on one hand. When done properly (I've posted it here multiple times) it is as safe and economical as you can expect for a big, expensive wooden box full of electronics. Average cost these days is $375.

#16 2 years ago

Roll the dice i say. Im only at 20 ships, what do i know? Heres a picture of pallett jack jammed against front legs and head of pin going bouncy bounce on glass and metal rails all the way home. Dented on arrival.

Cardboard between the head and rails and around the legs would have prevented that. The former should always be done.

#17 2 years ago

Another one^^^^^...2 posts up
    Such a shame bad advice...
    I respect the experience above. However, its not your money, if yould like to ship it in for Op and there's no damage, then charge him only shipping, this would be only reason to do it.
    A lot of guys dont realize that after pick up and a couple guys loading your pin in truck, 2 guys to muscle that thing around. Well at end of day they park truck and new guy gets it following day. Now your pin will not be delivered on that same truck as pick up. Cargo is often unloaded 2 to 3 times at STI depending on distance. More guys muscling your machine around dragging on legs. When on pallet its easier to move into next truck. We have a vision of putting pin on truck and that same truck shows up at house. Does not work that way. Only if under 150 miles.

#18 2 years ago

2 common ways for a pin to get damaged in shipping. 1: it falls over. 2: something bumps up against it. Take the legs off, one of those problems is gone!

#19 2 years ago

Some good pics from another thread yesterday. This topic comes up one a week.

f7460f91873803f935cd58b3c341a28dbd514185 (resized).jpg
    dc4f364f2c70e5e72d595dd59c7ad61f6d418a31 (resized).jpg
    e807e3baa3db6dd69ff3e1213fba8df493a069bd (resized).jpg
    0fbe0fa3c0843bd3e54db7d396ed133e1a4230a2 (resized).jpg

#20 2 years ago

I respect the experience above. However, its not your money, if yould like to ship it in for Op and there's no damage, then charge him only shipping, this would be only reason to do it.
    A lot of guys dont realize that after pick up and a couple guys loading your pin in truck, 2 guys to muscle that thing around. Well at end of day they park truck and new guy gets it following day. Now your pin will not be delivered on that same truck as pick up. Cargo is often unloaded 2 to 3 times at STI depending on distance. More guys muscling your machine around dragging on legs. When on pallet its easier to move into next truck. We have a vision of putting pin on truck and that same truck shows up at house. Does not work that way. Only if under 150 miles.

correct, mine was unloaded, loaded several times then put in a distribution center for sorting/routing!

#21 2 years ago

Ohh, i forgot to mention. Good luck getting insurance money. Remember its an insurance company job not to pay claims. There not in business to pay out.

#22 2 years ago

Of course it's not the same truck and crew. Shipping doesn't work that way. Even if you move your entire household belongings 1000 miles away as I just did...they empty and load multiple times. It's the complicated world of shipping logistics to keep costs down (supposedly). If you want something delivered long distance by the same person/vehicle that loaded it you're either going to need a lot of money or luck. There are some guys here that move games as a side job but there are risks involved there as well. As for games shipped on a pallet, believe it or not I have had a much higher rate of damage that way for one reason: forklifts. And yes they will sometimes use a forklift on games with legs on, but most of the time forklift operators in warehouses have the forks set a foot or so off the ground. If they swing around and hit a pinball leg it's not a big deal...but if they swing around into a palleted pinball it's going through the cardboard (and possibly crate) and hitting the cabinet.

But yes, I agree people should do whatever they are most comfortable with. My input on the matter is backed by 20 years of experience so take it for whatever that's worth.

#23 2 years ago

Double post.

#24 2 years ago

If packed properly legs on is just fine... period.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

True enough... until it isn't.

#26 2 years ago

The last game I had shipped started out on the pallet like this. Spirit on a pallet in California Warehouse. (resized).JPG but somehow ended up like this. IMG_0015 (resized).JPG IMG_0023 (resized).JPG IMG_0014 (resized).JPG IMG_0017 (resized).JPG Don't ship STI or NAVL or any of the big names. Last two games of mine they busted up badly and no compensation even with the insurance. One time they even shipped me the wrong game and I had to end up driving 5 hours to go get it myself since I didn't trust them to get my game to me without busting it or losing it again... I've vowed to never ship another game, it's just not worth all the hassle. If you must ship then find a smaller mover that specializes in moving just pins or arcade games. Most of these guys will treat it like it was there own and plus once its on there truck/trailer it stays on there until it gets to you.

John

#27 2 years ago

Some good pics from another thread yesterday. This topic comes up one a week.

Hey, look what came out of that box in the first pic. Not a scratch on it!

SB (resized).jpg

#28 2 years ago

And the shipper of choice is.......

http://www.pilotdelivers.com

#29 2 years ago

The lesson I have learned is if you follow the herd and do what the majority of pinsiders say you should do, you are in for a serious letdown or two eventually.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And the shipper of choice is.......
    http://www.pilotdelivers.com

Thanks for giving us the name. I will never ever use sti/navl again. Not worth the hassell. Poor dayhuff above. How does this shit happen?, i know, they dont care and to many strangers involved. Insurance nightmare to boot.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

No..your wrong, just wrong.
    Continue to gamble the house always wins.

#32 2 years ago

Steer clear of Clear Lane freight. They delivered an arcade game to my house and the top part of the cabinet was completely smashed. I didn't discover it until I unpacked it and then I called the company immediately. They didn't care at all and told me that the game must have left the distributer in that condition! The cabinet was built new when I ordered the game. It was obvious shipping damage but they refused any responsibility and did nothing about it.

#33 2 years ago

thanks everyone. Once again very awesome feedback. Pinside rocks! I would be lost without you guys.

#34 2 years ago

does these companies offer insurance with the rates, or is that additional?

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from rtotans:

does these companies offer insurance with the rates, or is that additional?

STI/Beltline/NAVL.......or whatever there called now offered $1500 (I think that's how much it was) automatically but obviously getting them to pay is a whole other story. I still suggest you wait and buy the game local. Good luck with whatever happens though.

John

#36 2 years ago

Here is the BEST way to ship with STI... pad the head, put corner board on every corner and finish off with shipping blankets and stretch wrap. Everything else is just unnecessary and overkill.

IMG_5904 (resized).jpg

IMG_4958 (resized).jpg

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Here is the BEST way to ship with STI... pad the head, put corner board on every corner and finish off with shipping blankets and stretch wrap. Everything else is just unnecessary and overkill.

The best way to ship with STI is to not ship it at all......LOL. You've been warned.

John

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

The best way to ship with STI is to not ship it at all......LOL. You've been warned.
    John

Thanks for the warning but I have to say that I've been totally happy with them over the years... one of the lucky ones I guess!

#39 2 years ago

I bought a very expensive TSPP from a guy on eBay that charged me 70.00 to "package it". All he did was put some shrink warp around it. No card board, no protection, nothing. One of my corners got damaged. What a rip off. If its packaged really good, blankets, wrap, cardboard, and on a pallet I think you'll be fine
    Mo

#40 2 years ago

Never had a problem with STI. Very confident with their service. I prefer the machines to be shipped with the legs on. I also tip them about $20 each.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I also tip them about $20 each.

If you could tip the forklift drivers maybe the wouldn't run them thru.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.99
    $ 89.00
    Boards
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 35.00
    $ 119.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 5.00
    $ 39.50
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,800.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 179.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside