(Topic ID: 32919)

Does anyone know how many BDK's were made?

By flipperfingers

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I'm talking about the regular pro model, not the Costco model. You hardly ever see them discussed on this board. I played it at Shark Club in Howell and really liked it. It does seem like a lot of people see it here as a real stinker. Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 11 years ago

No idea about production numbers, but I can give some feedback on the game...

IMO, a big reason it doesn't get much love here is the voice calls. Stern went with voice actors on this game, and they SUCK. Their "Batman" sounds nothing like Bale, and their "Alfred" can't even pull off an English accent.

It's not a bad game, but in my view it's basically a one-trick pony (the crane). Now, mind you, it's one hell of a trick, but one trick none-the-less. Also, since it's the biggest feature on the game, and really part of that final sequence of the second movie, why isn't the crane tied to the Joker? Why Scarecrow? Heath Ledger's Joker was one of THE most iconic movie villains of the past 5 years, and on this machine, he's almost an after-thought.

All in all, BDK has some good ideas, but the integration/execution falls flat.

YMMV, of course.

Later,
EV

#3 11 years ago

I like the voice call outs call me crazy. Its a fun game and I dont view it as a one trick pony each to there own.

#4 11 years ago

Kind of like ironman, don't see them around much.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Wise_Guy:

I like the voice call outs call me crazy. Its a fun game and I dont view it as a one trick pony each to there own.

Agree.... I really like the game.

#6 11 years ago

I think it's a fun game for sure. Probably the only newer Stern I play more then it is Tron.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from flipperfingers:

I'm talking about the regular pro model, not the Costco model. You hardly ever see them discussed on this board. I played it at Shark Club in Howell and really liked it. It does seem like a lot of people see it here as a real stinker. Any ideas? Thanks.

Just taking a wild guess, somewhere around 1500?

#9 11 years ago

Not sure how many were made, but it's a really fun game, for sure. I enjoyed it on location, but it wasn't until I picked one up that I really discovered what it was all about. The code update did wonders for the game. The one I got was running 2.2 when I tested it out...final code is 2.94. It made quite a difference. It often gets labeled as a one-trick pony because the crane is really the only interactive toy, which I understand because the Batmobile ramp and Joker can are purely aesthetic, but it really has a lot of strategy going on if you're into that. Honestly, I find it to be LOTR lite...gameplay, rules and layout are similar, plus it has multiple "wizard" modes. If you play one that is setup well, it's an awesome game, IMO.

As others mentioned, the voice actors are one of the big downfalls of this machine. At first, I was kind of bummed about it (being a fan of the movies), but you get used to them. (And really, who the hell cares...they're voice call outs.) Not as great of a theme integration as LOTR, but if you like the Batman theme, it's still really solid.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from PBaller22:

It often gets labeled as a one-trick pony because the crane is really the only interactive toy, which I understand because the Batmobile ramp and Joker can are purely aesthetic,

Don;t forget the dumb Baltimore bridge...pointless. I find the game extrememly challenging.
Getting BAtman & Freeman lit is not easy.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Don;t forget the dumb Baltimore bridge...pointless.

Yeah, that's what I meant by the Batmobile ramp. The ramp itself is fine, the tilt Batmobile bridge thing is just aesthetic. :0)

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from PBaller22:

(And really, who the hell cares...they're voice call outs.) .

Sound design is a HUGE factor in whether people really attach themselves to a machine. Poor/annoying music, bad voices or lame writing drag down the experience. If a game is based on a movie, you know how those characters should sound...when they sound "off", it takes you out of it. Also, it's disappointing on principal...these are really expensive games and there's probably zero cost difference in hiring someone good vs. someone bad. Just sift through a few more demo reels or have some auditions before you hire the voice talent.

Quoted from EchoVictor:

why isn't the crane tied to the Joker? Why Scarecrow?

Scarecrow is Dr. CRANE!!! Get it!?!? Derp derp derp

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-know-how-many-bdks-were-made and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.