Topic poll

“What's the best? "High Speed" or "The Getaway?"”

• "The Getaway" 35 votes
    50%
  • "High Speed" 35 votes
    50%

(70 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 9 years ago

I'm starting to think maybe the original is actually better..No video modes;less ball stoppage..

Love any opinions on this..Thanks))

#2 9 years ago

No.

It's a fun game with awesome sound and revolutionary at the time but it's much slower than HS2 and the depth is weak.

Once you get the jackpot there's really nothing to do - being able to re-light jackpot, or just get it more than once like Rollergames would be a huge improvement.

High Speed gets old very fast in home use. After you've rolled the score display the thrill is gone.

#3 9 years ago

I voted the Getaway but should probably not count. It so close for me and I love both. My Getaway is off being restored by McCune and I am in the process of buying a fully restored High Speed right now. Both, either are great games!

#4 9 years ago

I like it better for the simplicity and the 80's sounds.
I give HS a little more love for the upper flipper shots HS REQUIRES that you use the upper right flipper to lock balls.
Getaway doesn't require you to use the upper flipper. It's cool to have, especially during "payback time" (can't remember name for it in Getaway) but you don't need it to lock balls.

It's hard for be to say I like it better overall, because the Getaway does have cool magnets and the speed.

I love them about the same, so I'd give it a tie - I didn't vote.

#5 9 years ago

I like High Speed better. Sometimes a simpler rule set is better. It's a great game to compete on.

#6 9 years ago

I like high speed better. the supercharger on hs2 is cool the first handful of times you see it and then it's just a flow stealing toy.

#7 9 years ago

i have both and like the getaway better . i can also tell you tell you that it gets over 4 time more plays by my friends

#8 9 years ago

Sometimes simpler is better. I prefer HS.

#10 9 years ago

Getaway has more depth (still not tons) but I find the upper flipper almost pointless on getaway, and the single ramp shot is very unsatisfying unless the supercharger is lit. To me HS would be my pick, but I don't know if I'd own it again, particularly in a small collection.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

After you've rolled the score display the thrill is gone.

Then you do it again!

#12 9 years ago

Red Line Mania music is glorious! The Getaway wins. Both games are great though.

#13 9 years ago

Getaway for sure. The rules are straightforward, but I like trying to max out the Supercharger during the 4th Gear points frenzy where every shot to the SC increases by 5 million. You do that right, you can take 50 million+ in that round.

And re-lighting the jackpot on the Supercharger during multi and Red Line Mania is a blast! The ramp gets real tight when you need it.

I love shifting, love the sound, the flow, the loops, and everything about. Getaway wins this one every time. HS is a terrific game, and the Getaway added to it in all the right places.

#14 9 years ago

Original high speed is so much better. It never gets old.

#15 9 years ago

Getaway by a mile. Both are great games, but Getaway somehow still feels fresh to me. Getaway may only have one more shot, but to me that makes a world of difference. I also think the presentation on Getaway (music, light show, etc.,) is about the best I've seen on any pin.

#16 9 years ago

My unbiassed opinion (I am a System 11 fan) is that HS2 is better, faster, I prefer the audio and the Supercharger is just one hell of a cool toy that doesn't get boring for me.

The main dissadvantage of HS2 is the video mode, that gets old very quick when you own a HS2

#17 9 years ago

High Speed for me. When I picked up a HUO Getaway with 400 plays, I thought I would keep it forever. But when I went to bed, all I could hear was La Grange pounding in my head. I can't even listen to that song on the radio now. My bad for playing it too much, I guess. I sold it to a friend...he ended up selling it too.

1 week later
#18 9 years ago

I love the sounds from High Speed. I actually prefer HS2 because I love games with DMD's. They are both great games. I am actually going to have both of them for sale here in the next few weeks. It's time to part with both of them.....I think?

#19 9 years ago

HS is a better game. I owned both. Getaway is long gone.

#20 9 years ago

High Speed for me. I prefer the '80s synth sounds to a poor ZZ Top recreation. Video mode does nothing for me. High Speed's jackpot feels more rewarding and its ensuing sound/light show never gets old. I borrowed a friend's Getaway for a year, didn't miss it when it got away.

#21 9 years ago

There's lots of reasons & thinking that goes into it, but the main thing will always be the HS ramp shot. With that gone from HS2 it doesn't have a chance with me.

#22 9 years ago

HS > Getaway.

(A lot of people have spoken for me already. Good comments above.)

Both games are good.
* Getaway has no spinners
* More stop n go in Getaway
* Better Backglass in High Speed
* I don't want to mess with a shifter when playing pinball

Edge goes to High Speed.

I still stand by my opinion that Cyclone is the only sequel to beat its original pin design yet in pinball...
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/original-pin-better-than-the-sequel
-mof

#23 9 years ago

Had HS. Only played Getaway on location. HS seems to have a better flow and better ball visibility. It does get old after a little while, one of the reasons it's gone. The upper flipper is make it or break it on HS too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-here-think-that-high-speed-is-better-than-the-getaway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.