(Topic ID: 14521)

Does anyone here buy pins 'retail'

By tonymiddendorf

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c1sCa.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 12 years ago

Hell yes I have bought retail, I do not mean buying hyper inflated prices on Ebay that have been listed for 120 days. but from a store with a warranty you bet.

I have bought from a home buyer at "retail" what is retail anyway? Mr Pinballs price guide? It is all subjective. If a pin is 20% higher than others listed out there? What if it is 20% better shape? I have paid $1200 for an F14 tomcat........but it have a flawless playfield. I have bought a Fishtales for $2200 which might be called retail 2 years ago, but it had new side art, no insert wear. At the same time a buddy of mine passed on it and sent it my way, because he found a Fishtales for $1500. After new side art, boat ramp, misc plastics, rubber, LEDs, and a shop job he had $2300 and about 20 hours in it, plus he has stickers on his fish....... I will pay retail all day if thats how it works out. Sometimes it is frustrating when people don't recognize the value of a restored machine, they call it overpaying...

Now if machines are in like condition, the retail location allows you to just go pick up a machine whenever you want it, the ability to shop for what ever you want and to try multiple machines. To offer this service and to pay the overhead of having a retail place is absolutely worth 20 to 30%. Plus a warranty is worth something don't you think?

So to all of the scenarios above, Yes I have bought retail, I have bought low and restored the machine and sold at retail as well. NO I have never bought a machine at a really high price on Ebay, accept a Monopoly for $2000 shipped to my door.

So, again what is retail? Condition dictates price, I do think more and more collectors/players are realizing this, and are paying more for very nice machines.

Just my 2 cents, but there are machines that people would have told me I was crazy to pay that price, but inversely would say I was smart to buy the cheap one and restore it. Even though after restoration it cost the same. I love the bargain, but I also love retail (Buy it and play it now!!!)

Edit: oh and I also love that there are retailers, this is great for pinball, especially new pinheads that need full service, we all started there.

#26 12 years ago

Thanks, that was my goal, I just want people to be objective. I hate posts where people automatically judge the person because of price (IE price police), or dis someone because they paid too much....this is supposed to be fun.

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rick471:

Would you pay $3500 for a shopped Scared Stiff from a retailer?

In a heartbeat! Sold! Especially if I don't have to wait 3 months to find and drive six hours to pick it out of some guys basement.

#55 12 years ago

I can tell you one thing, I am in sales, and our company only allows quotes to be good for 30 days. That is because prices change. Interestingly enough, when a customer brings in a quote that is old, they politely ask if the price is still good, and sometimes it is not. But I have never had a customer get mad about it.

I got a quote on a Monster Bash last year for $4000, but didn't take it. Pretty sure that one has gone up.....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-here-buy-pins-retail?tu=ovfdfireman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.