(Topic ID: 14521)

Does anyone here buy pins 'retail'

By tonymiddendorf

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c1sCa.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrsanramon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 12 years ago

"1) I was stupid and overpaid to a local guy that was obviously not a part of the community because he WAY overcharged a naive new buyer"

Just because he "overcharged" you, doesn't mean he wasn't/isn't part of the community.

I have seen lots of RGP/Pinside people trying to get (make) as much as they can, regardless of the RGP/Pinside approved price.

I have seen on more than one occasion someone buying a machine advertised on RGP, then trying to flip it (for more) a couple of days later...on RGP. Of course he got called on it.

Pinball is a supply & demand market. So prices vary wildly based on those 2 factors. Combine that with "trying to make as much money as possible" business strategy, and you get taken advantage of if you haven't done your homework.

I just sold my JP, several pinsiders enquired about price (before I posted it). Most of them didn't even respond when I emailed them back. I assume that they wanted a great JP for way less than I was asking, or they would have at least responded back. So the pricing gouging goes both ways; individuals trying to buy at less than market so they can brag about what they got; and those that try to make it on the other end.

The guy that bought my JP, told me about a local guy (in south bay) that posts both here and on RGP that buys and sells machines. He bought a JP (that my guy tried to get) for ~$1k; cleaned it and then offered it for sale for ~2.2k. Not sure what he had to do for that, but that’s a nice profit. It’s sold, so he was apparently able to work both ends of the pricing spectrum.

I guess my message is this, Pinball has moved from being a hobbyist endeavor to a business venture. People who what to make their partial/entire living off Pinball, need to make a lot of money off each transaction. The best way to deal is to try to work with your friends and pay reasonable prices.

Robert

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrsanramon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-here-buy-pins-retail?tu=mrsanramon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.