(Topic ID: 270994)

does anyone have the ability to modify a williams rom?

By j_m_

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Coyote
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I was wondering if anyone here on pinside has the know how to take an existing .bin file and make a slight change to the way the lighting works.

I'm interested in taking a feature where the bulb flashes on/off when active to just turning it on while that mode is active and would be willing to pay someone for their time for a one-off project that I'm working on.

#2 3 years ago

Is that all you need changed?

Someone familiar with PinMAME might know what to do.

Myself, I'd try a hardware solution, have the bulb signal feed a timer circuit that keeps the bulb lit as long as the input keeps "flashing." AKA a monostable multivibrator.

#3 3 years ago

the purpose for changing the light from blinking was to make it easier for me to trigger something else that I want to use in place of the bulb.

basically, I'm looking to replace the little pc boards currently housing the incandescent bulbs.

#4 3 years ago

The problem is that even if you changed how the bulb was 'lit', it would still be 'flashing' (pulsing) as far as a digital circuit would see - since lamps are *pulsed* on and off at a high frequency.

#5 3 years ago

so, it sounds like my best bet is just to code and accommodate for the flashing bulbs

my original thought was given that I can check for a "light on" scenario at least 10x a second, as long as I am able to detect a high (lit) value every second, treat it as the bulb is on (eg. flashing)

the only thing that I need to follow up on is whether or not multiple bulbs can flash on the same board at the same time during game play

#6 3 years ago

I'm no expert, and maybe a more circuit-oriented person can comment, but perhaps a mix of some kind of voltage gate with a capacitor would help with the 'pulsing'. If so, then you could - in theory, take 'x' number of readings per second, and assuming that if half of the readings are on, then you could tell the lamp flashing..?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-have-the-ability-to-modify-a-williams-rom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.