• 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BOBCADE
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8627 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimberOne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

I have one on my Star Wars and my Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure - it completes both games IMO.
Depending on where you buy it from, some vendors (like K's Arcade comes to mind) offer to pre-load a sound package for you.
Others, you just get the board and go to the pinsound community forums to download available orchestrations. For DESW there are several to choose from. (Some that have music from the prequels and some with original-trilogy music.) The only shortcoming I found with the community-offered options was that the one I liked (Star_Wars_OST_by_Pinhead) was excellent except for an add metal guitar rendition of the imperial march at the end of each game.
For my case, I tweaked it a bit, used the exit-credits swell music from A New Hope instead. Fortunately, it is super easy to do - essentially you are just replacing an audio file on a USB thumbdrive.
Just ran downstairs to shoot this of the Pinsound running, I didn't play through since holding the phone but I thought it had a nice mix of remastered original audio and pulled-from-soundtrack audio that the machine still feels like Star Wars without feeling so dated.
» YouTube video
My only other annoyance on the DE SW - Pinsound combo was that, like bos98 - at high power (and with flipper fidelity speakers) - the combo of ColorDMD + Pinsound seemed to draw too much power on the 12V (original DE Power Supply and Rottendog were both tried) and would occasionally clip / cut out, especially while coils are firing. I'm not sure where the bandwidth problem is, I'm guessing probably a cap or the bridge rectifier, you could potentially beef that up on the power supply but I didn't risk it - instead I just added a small switching power supply, like you would use to modernize an arcade game. In fact, the one I used was only like $10 from twistywristarcade, I had a few sitting around from other projects.

(you could also use one of those nicer Happ switching power supplies, I might move up to one eventually, just for posterity/ respect for this being one of my favorite games from a sense of nostalgia)
I ran 12v from this secondary power supply back to a 12v Molex Splitter in the backbox and run pinsound and all LED mods from this secondary 12 v power supply so that I can turn it up and not get the clipping / cut-out at greater than 35% volume.
Only other bit of advice I would offer is this.. When you add a Pinsound audio package to the board there are two ways to do it. One way is just to copy the .zip file to the thumbdrive, put the thumbdrive into pinsound and power up your game. The pinsound board will go through this prep process where it extracts the files and converts them from vorbis .ogg lossless clips to .wav files. This can take awhile.
They provide software for both PC and Mac that will do this prep process for you using your computer hardware instead. You can prep the thumbdrive in about 10 minutes for an hour and a half by using their software instead of having the pinsound CPU try to do the work.
Save yourself some time and use the desktop app to prep the thumbdrive.
Good luck! - Ping me if you have any questions I can do a facetime or skype or something of my DE SW with pinsound and talk through some of it with ya.

I have a sim setup with pinsound and speakerpro speakers. Not sure i like the speakers, i see you used fidelity. The sound seems to be muddy, maybe mine is underpowered, stock dmd.

1 month later
#12 7 years ago

So, everyone that has a pinsound, what is your rating of it? I have one, the only one so far but not thrilled with it. It takes forever to boot up. It seems to get bogged down and out of timing when it has a big load on it. The stock sound board is pretty good on the desw, i think it is one of the first, or first, 2.1 boards. It does not have these issues. I have had the board for about 6 months, i wonder if there in some new firmware?

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

It does take a little longer to boot but not irritatingly long to me. Mine NEVER bogs down or gets out of timing. I love mine, can't imagine a DESW without it. Playing the actual SW theme songs as opposed to the stock soundtrack is worth the price of admission to me.

Which soundfile do you use?

1 week later
#18 7 years ago

I read that there was an issue with desw 1.06 code with pinsound boot up. Sometimes pinsound starts, sometimes not. I found that was the issue i was having also. Board boot up beeps as normal, but when it should be booted, nothing. Restart game and sometimes will then start. I just updated to code 1.07 and same issue. Anyone else having this issue?

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

Do you have a rottendog mpu board?

Yes, cpu is a RD. Thank you for looking into it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimberOne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-have-pinsound-on-data-east-star-wars?tu=TimberOne and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.