(Topic ID: 266084)

Does anyone have bowling pins/ collection on display?

By EJS

83 days ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by Cash_Riprock
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

9232BB05-D3E8-445E-8987-7516D124483B (resized).jpeg
    E6D3E326-8A80-4B7B-921A-66364ADAAAB1 (resized).jpeg
    0824D7C5-C4B4-4D5D-8DDB-15B2943AD75E (resized).jpeg
    DFDCF030-AD5C-4545-ABAD-C07D3EAACFA4 (resized).jpeg
    67280975-A64C-4406-B373-8A7F70EE77EC (resized).jpeg

#1 83 days ago

Hi everyone,

I've been collecting bowling pins since I was a little kid and have about 6 cases worth. Most all are unique. In other words, I don't have 10 of the same used beat up discards that a police department would use for target practice. I have thinned out the collection over the years.

What I am looking to do is figure out an appropriate way to showcase a number of them in the game room. I've thought about wall mount shelving but found weight being an issue. Ikea has some shelving designed for dishes/artwork but weight limits are easily exceeded with the pins. I don't want to commit wall space just yet since I'm still trying to find the sweet spot to set up all my pinballs with proper power distribution.

Another option would be a custom/shallow bookshelf which would be floor based, less of a concern for weight.

Lastly, the easiest way would be to line them up on 2x4 or something similar along the floor. The downside to that is they are much lower and I don't really have a practical place to do that (pinball machines get in the way haha). I'm not worried about tip over; I plan to use dowels in the void in the bottoms.

I've seen some pictures online (mainly from web sites around "bowling addict") but wanted to check in with fellow pinsiders and see if anyone has something going on. Maybe I missed a thread that captured some pins?

Obviously searching this subject on Pinside yields mostly a Bowling Queen machine or ball bowlers and searching "pin collection".....forget it!

Cheers!

#2 83 days ago

I practically grew up in a bowling alley. Still love it, but don’t go as often as I want. Probably why they are struggling. Here’s a few basement pics.

0824D7C5-C4B4-4D5D-8DDB-15B2943AD75E (resized).jpeg67280975-A64C-4406-B373-8A7F70EE77EC (resized).jpegDFDCF030-AD5C-4545-ABAD-C07D3EAACFA4 (resized).jpegE6D3E326-8A80-4B7B-921A-66364ADAAAB1 (resized).jpeg
    #3 83 days ago

It would be cool to cut them in half and mount them in some kind of custom wall shadow box. That would be a great way to really be able to see them and it would cut the weight in half but then u don't have a whole bowling pin anymore...

#4 83 days ago
    Quoted from kms_pinball:

It would be cool to cut them in half and mount them in some kind of custom wall shadow box. That would be a great way to really be able to see them and it would cut the weight in half but then u don't have a whole bowling pin anymore...

Yeah, there are pros and cons about doing that. There are a few that I have duplicates of that don't have any collector value (I assume) so I could cut those in half and do a pattern of some sort. Then there are others I have that you could call NIB and unique that I wouldn't want to cut in half.

The good news on that front is I still have a perfect saw (to cut these with) I borrowed from a coworker and the blade has a high tooth count so they'd have good edges.

#5 83 days ago
    Quoted from Ballypalooza:

I practically grew up in a bowling alley. Still love it, but don’t go as often as I want. Probably why they are struggling. Here’s a few basement pics.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! I love the lockers. That is great!

#6 83 days ago
    Quoted from Digimatt:

Wow! I love the lockers. That is great!

Ditto!

#7 83 days ago

Dunno if it's feasible, but it'd be cool to drill a hole the long way through for a wire, hollow out the base somehow, add a lamp socket, and hang it by the lamp wire to make a bunch of cool light fixtures. With LEDs now, heat wouldn't preclude the idea.

#8 83 days ago

I have one bowling pin in a box somewhere...got it from a bowling alley that housed the pizza shop I delivered for.

I also have my Mom’s bowling ball bag with her bowling ball, wrist support, and shoes in it. RIP, Mom....I haven’t figured out a way to display it yet. I will follow this thread for some ideas on how to display properly.

9232BB05-D3E8-445E-8987-7516D124483B (resized).jpeg
    #9 83 days ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Dunno if it's feasible, but it'd be cool to drill a hole the long way through for a wire, hollow out the base somehow, add a lamp socket, and hang it by the lamp wire to make a bunch of cool light fixtures. With LEDs now, heat wouldn't preclude the idea.

Ha! I made a bowling pin lamp in 9th grade wood shop.(1974) Bowling was a big thing for me since I was a tyke. Anyway, drilled through each side as far as press would go but ended up having to drill by hand to get through...tough wood! I made a round base for the pin to fit on and wired it. Wish I still had it.

#10 83 days ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I have one bowling pin in a box somewhere...got it from a bowling alley that housed the pizza shop I delivered for.
    I also have my Mom’s bowling ball bag with her bowling ball, wrist support, and shoes in it. RIP, Mom....I haven’t figured out a way to display it yet. I will follow this thread for some ideas on how to display properly.[quoted image]

Sorry fo your loss.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 87.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Tools
    PinShield
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 55.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 36.99
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 17.00
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 19.50
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 89.99
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside