(Topic ID: 256858)

Does anyone experience physical pain during play?

By sohchx

86 days ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by NY2Colorado
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 86 days ago

So during play about a week ago I started experiencing pain in between my left thumb and first finger, on the top of my hand, palm facing down. This is the first time in over 20 years of being in the hobby that I have experienced pain during a game. The only thing that I can think of is that my play duration has been to long. I like to play for 2 to 3 hrs daily. Its really putting a damper on things because I want to get back to playing and I just can't seem to shake the pain, and continuous attempts to play probably aren't helping even with my hand wrapped. Anyone else? It looks like I'm going to have to take a break for awhile.

#2 86 days ago

At my age I wonder where the next pain will come from. So far I have learned not to stomp my feet, not to shove the game around, and not to put much weight on my arms while leaning on the game. At one point I had shooting pain up to my shoulder when flipping!

No pain as of late, as long as I remember not to do those things. And to eschew 12 hour tournaments.

#3 86 days ago

Maybe try sitting on a bar stool, i had a ganglion in my hand that was stoping me playing too long. Sitting helped as a I wasnt putting weight on my hands/wrists.

#4 86 days ago

If it were me, I'd probably take a break for a few days and see if it gets better.

If it gets a bit better, give it a few more days to heal. If not, then maybe get it checked out by a doctor to make sure it's not something more serious.

But, only you know your own body and when some thing feels wrong, so use your best judgement. And keep in mind that this is just a pinball forum, not a medical facility

#5 86 days ago

find a brace and wear it for several weeks if possible, had this in my thumb a few years back. Just from over use, gotta give it time to heal which may take a month or 2.

#6 86 days ago

It must be possessed, chop it off.

Thanks
    Ash

#7 86 days ago

I have similar issues from time to time, but only when combined with using my standing desk at work too much. I'm a tall guy, I have to lean over quite a bit to play if I want to play standing up. The only thing I am aware of you can do is to rest your hands. You may have to make a conscious effort to change your stance and not lean so much, or use a stool for a few weeks to give your hands/wrists a rest. There is one game you can still play and not have these problems... even while resting... Demolition Man. There is one here on pinside in New Jersey that has been tempting me for a month for $2500.

#8 86 days ago

There is one game you can still play and not have these problems... even while resting... Demolition Man.

I have a DM and experienced trigger pain in my elbows really bad. Took me a few weeks to learn to try to relax my grip and stay loose.

#9 86 days ago

Ironically I just went to Doctor yesterday for this exact problem. My left hand hurt while playing, but was tolerable. What wasn't tolerable was using my hand to do pushups or get myself up from the floor. Dr gave me cortisone injection. After 2 months of pain and ice, an injection was the next option. X ray also showed a small burr on index finger which Dr felt could be contributing to pain in muscle between thumb and index finger.

#10 86 days ago

I've recently came down with "golfers elbow" in my right elbow, which is pain where the tendons of your forearm muscles attach to the bony bump on the inside of your elbow. This is a result of me trying death saves (ala Jack Danger from Dead Flip) on my recently acquired TWD Pro, LOL. If I lay off the death save attempts for a week the pain goes away. I guess I'm too old and brittle to death save. I mean, I shouldn't be doing them, but if I'm having a killer ball, and it drains down the right outlane and you know you can probably save it, it's soooo tempting.

#11 86 days ago

I don't feel the pain so much while playing but about midway up my right side, pocket height, hurts like hell after buying.

Thanks
    Blake

#12 86 days ago

I'm assuming you have tendinitis, which I have as well. Pinball irritates these tendons after playing. When it gets worse, you wake up with pain from playing. I used cortisone shots to be able to play golf, but the shots wear off and I overplay pinball and am back in pain. Either a cortisone shot and moderate your pinball, or STOP PLAYING PINBALL FOR A FEW MONTHS. I've chosen shots the last few years and really want it to heal this time. So I haven't been playing golf, and have to stop playing pinball for a least 3 months for this to heal. Problem is we use these muscles all day every day for small chores. So it's either rest (recommended) or cortisone and try not to overdue it either way. Been dealing with this for years. It absolutely sucks, but will only get worse over time unless you let it heal.

#13 86 days ago

Only in my wacked out brain!!!!

#14 86 days ago

You can only do so many cortisone shots in a year and eventually will not help/work anymore.

Try CBD oil.

#15 86 days ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

find a brace and wear it for several weeks if possible, had this in my thumb a few years back. Just from over use, gotta give it time to heal which may take a month or 2.

I've had one on for a little over a week but it's a soft one. I may go for the hardened version

#16 86 days ago

Oh Boy! A thread about me, too!

Pain in hand, fingers arms, legs.
    Hearing, sounds hurt...lower the volume.
    Eyes Hurt, too many flashing lights!
    Head hurts, from eyes tracking ball......

Take meds, Now I can play a bit!

Getting Old Sucks!

#17 86 days ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

I have similar issues from time to time, but only when combined with using my standing desk at work too much. I'm a tall guy, I have to lean over quite a bit to play if I want to play standing up. The only thing I am aware of you can do is to rest your hands. You may have to make a conscious effort to change your stance and not lean so much, or use a stool for a few weeks to give your hands/wrists a rest. There is one game you can still play and not have these problems... even while resting... Demolition Man. There is one here on pinside in New Jersey that has been tempting me for a month for $2500.

Yeah I'm 6'3 myself and also have to bend over a little to play comfortably but surprisingly it's never given me any issue. Odd thing is that I have played the same exact way for over 25 years and never had any issue outside of excessive sweat from an epic game until now Lol. The problem is also effecting my console gaming unfortunately.

#18 86 days ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hearing, sounds hurt...lower the volume.

Ha!! A few buddies and I were talking about this the other day. We all agreed that we are at the age where unnecessary noises anger us. Lol

#19 86 days ago

Getting old does indeed suck. I’ve been working restorations for the past couple of months. It messed up my elbows (tendonitis) so bad !!! I couldn’t even lift a cup of coffee or grip anything. I’ve had to stop ... in a holding pattern for about 2 weeks. I tried playing the other day and it’s not fun. I’m hoping it will just go away if I give it a rest.

#20 86 days ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Getting old does indeed suck. I’ve been working restorations for the past couple of months. It messed up my elbows (tendonitis) so bad !!! I couldn’t even lift a cup of coffee or grip anything. I’ve had to stop ... in a holding pattern for about 2 weeks. I tried playing the other day and it’s not fun. I’m hoping it will just go away if I give it a rest.

I have arthritis in right wrist. Then I got tendonitis which spread to bursitis. I chose cortisone shots to play some competitive golf. And after a few years of doing that the cortisone doesn't seem to last as long as others have said. I believe rest is the long term answer. These injuries take longer to heal than most people think.

#21 86 days ago

When my wife yells at me to stop playing it hurts my ears (and my heart and possibly my soul)…

#22 86 days ago

Anyone else just wake up injured? Like somehow in your sleep you did something that pinched a nerve or cause muscle pain?

Sleeping is now on the list of possible activities I can be injured doing.

#23 86 days ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Anyone else just wake up injured? Like somehow in your sleep you did something that pinched a nerve or cause muscle pain?

I get that from my wife smacking me around when I sleep.
    She calls it revenge for what I do during the day.

#24 86 days ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

LOL, Yes! I do! It's kinda depressing.

#25 86 days ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Yes, If my pillow gets out of adjustment in any way I wake up with stiff neck for a few hrs

#26 86 days ago

When I hit the machine -- it hurts every time. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong !

#27 85 days ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Yes, If my pillow gets out of adjustment in any way I wake up with stiff neck for a few hrs

Maybe New Pillows, Mattress, will be of help to you?

After not being happy with a Sleep Apnea game, I made my own pillow. Solid memory foam, shredded foam, cool gel layer, then buckwheat.
    I even cut out a gap for my hand under the first foam base. This helped me tremendously, and now Im on to an adjustable bed.

#28 85 days ago

When I play a game against my wife on the 3rd ball I usually get a sharp pain in my arm ... just as I surpass her score to beat her score.

I have recently developed plantar fasciitis in my left foot. Might be from my stance ... or just old age. Changed my stance so I will get the same pain in the other foot eventually to even it out.

#29 85 days ago

I get hurt when I kick the game behind or alongside of me while playing

#30 85 days ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

I get hurt when I kick the game behind or alongside of me while playing

Thats Me you have been kicking, Jeff!

#31 85 days ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I've recently came down with "golfers elbow" in my right elbow,....

Man I just had that not long ago, what a bitch. But it went away, and I don;t even remember how/why/when

#32 85 days ago

Bah, I’m in some kind of pain or discomfort all the time.
    For that matter, I need to stretch and get limber before I have sex so I don’t pull something.

Getting old sucks, but it’s better than the alternative.
    It’s always better to look down at the flowers than up at them.

#33 85 days ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cannabis-club

This thread helped with my aches and pains of middle age.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 1,400.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 34.94
    Playfield - Plastics
    Plastic 9 for Pin-Bot Out of stock
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Lit Frames
    $ 149.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 89.99
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Stuff

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside