7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by hooch333
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I've been seeing a lot of "new here" posts lately and while they are possibly just new to this site, many are also new to the hobby. This got me thinking "who leaves this hobby?" I understand if you encounter hardships and are forced to sell your games or you are moving and need to downsize. But does anyone know someone who said F**k it and left the hobby? No wonder the prices are rising. I ask for pics of a game thats been for sale for a couple hours and I get the response of "it's sold"

just saying.

#2 7 years ago

davewth looks like he is trying!

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

does anyone know someone who said F**k it and left the hobby?

I'm rapidly approaching that point right now. I'm not sure why.

#4 7 years ago

Pinball players never retire! We just die off!

-Aaron

#5 7 years ago

Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in!

#6 7 years ago

Don't know about quitting, but things can run hot and cold. I haven't bought anything in 2012 pinball related after spending a crapload of money the previous 5 years. I would say the only thing pinball related is looking at pinball forums and playing Ipad pinball.

Like all things, I can see people going through burnout phases. Don't know anybody who has given it all up.

#7 7 years ago

I have left for years at a time. Sometimes you just get bored with them. In 2009 i had 27 machines come threw m home be shopped played for a few weeks and then left. I got burnt quick. I worked for a op and pinball got old fast.

Now i always like pinball but sometimes you walk into a room turn on the light and say F*ck i could have a new Vette and i sell all the machines.

I raced My Datsun on the scca circuit for years and pins where not gonna buy tires on my datto or c16 in the tank so pins had to go then too.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from IowaPinballClub:

Pinball players never retire! We just die off!
    -Aaron

I heard that Pinball Players never retire, they just lose their balls

Randy

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from WNflyer:

I heard that Pinball Players never retire, they just lose their balls

Hahahaha Good one.

#10 7 years ago

Nice one Randy!

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheJesus:

I raced My Datsun on the scca circuit for years and pins where not gonna buy tires on my datto or c16 in the tank so pins had to go then too.

Understandable, a lot of people have a lot of money tied up in their collections. Racing is not cheap (which is why I've settled for sim-racing), as you've said tires, fuel, etc add up pretty quick. I don't think that many people really want to get out of it, but many see the funds they've invested and would rather put that money elsewhere, whether it be cars, education, mortgage, etc..

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheJesus:

I have left for years at a time. Sometimes you just get bored with them. In 2009 i had 27 machines come threw m home be shopped played for a few weeks and then left. I got burnt quick. I worked for a op and pinball got old fast.
    Now i always like pinball but sometimes you walk into a room turn on the light and say F*ck i could have a new Vette and i sell all the machines.

Boy aint that the truth! I love pinball, and have too damn much invested, I say the same thing to myself regularly, but never do it.

I can say that my days of buying new might have come to a screeching halt. Just hit that magic number where it went out of my price range. I hate it, especially since I am a "new" kind of guy. So maybe I can save for the vette after all....... probably not.

#13 7 years ago

The only time I ever get burned out of collecting pins is when my pins go down. Since I lack the mechanical skills to fix them, I usually have to pay a high price for a repairman to come over and fix them. The money I spent on repairing some of my pins I could have bought me another pinball machine. I don't mind paying the repairman, just as long as he fixes the pin the first time and not having to come back and re-fix the problem again. However, during the summer months I, for some reason, don't participate in the hobby that much. I do make up for it in the winter months though! :0)

#14 7 years ago

I was obsessed with them for years as a teen but there were none in the wild near me and I didn't have the means to buy them. I forgot they existed until my first full time job and now I have gotten 2 machines in the last 5 months.

#15 7 years ago

Sure. I dropped out probably about 2005-6 and just poured myself more into my work. Played my games once in a while, but no interested in buying or sellng anything. In the last six weeks or so, i had a bit of a health scare. Thankfully nothing serious, but at 53 it awaken something in me to embrace several things that i have always loved but had stopped. So i had a WH20 that needed some attention for the past 6 years and got that back in shape. I also have a MM that will be very nice once i am done with it that i bought in 2005 and trying to figure out what to do with that.

The only constant in life is change, and everything is for a season.

#16 7 years ago

Would I leave, NO. I do tend to take breaks from time to time. Usually in the summer I don't do anything with pins, not even an occasional game.

#17 7 years ago

Ha ha. plenty of...I think about getting out....only to end up even deeper in the hobby comments.

#18 7 years ago

I am backing off quite a bit, but I think I'll always own a few.

#19 7 years ago

I've known a few to leave, I've known plenty to take time off.

I am not full steam ahead into pins all the time anymore, but they are frequently on my mind. I haven't bought a pin in *years* - but I am still wrenching on others, fixing them for customers, etc

#20 7 years ago

I think I might purchase a couple "new in box" or HUO pins currently hitting the market from stern and JJP over the next couple years. I think I'd rather have a 10 or less collection of pins I never want to get rid of than having a 25 pin collection overwhelm my entire home.

To start a new argument I have come to the personal conclusion:
    one great pin that i can play and enjoy for thousands of plays (i.e. TZ) is greater than a three soso games i.e. taxi/demo man etc...

#21 7 years ago

I'm not sure if people leave the hobby or maybe they just slow down their activity in it. I bought like crazy when I first got started. I was a kid in a candy store and I wanted to try and own them all. As I played more, I learned what I liked. I find myself now with a line up that keeps my interest. I still consider myself a pin collector, but not a highly active one.

Steve

#22 7 years ago

Pinball is the Hotel California of hobbies. "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave."

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Pinball is the Hotel California of hobbies. "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave."

+1 I've never been obsessed with a hobby like this one. except for looking at boobies.

#24 7 years ago

Well just read the responses....you may cool off for awhile for many reasons but, it's a disease and never goes away, you WILL RETURN!!!!!

#25 7 years ago

I am the same as most. I know in the spring I will spend a few weeks flying trying to get a couple bears and pins will get zero time. I played them everyday a couple weeks ago. It has been about 10 days since my last game....wait, I just remembered I played Avatar and RS at the theater last night. I played yesterday for the first time in 10 days. Plan on playing tonight.

#26 7 years ago

some of us just run out of money

#27 7 years ago

Nothing lasts forever and we have to remember in the end these are just games. I think if you don't obsess over this stuff and engage in it just every now and again the hobby can last you a long time even a lifetime. Also strongly appreciating the aesthetic properties of the best games can prolong Pinball's appeal as these games can then become a sort of "Pop Art". If you are only into this for entertainment value I can see your interest drying up before long as its easy to be entertained by a million other things.

#28 7 years ago

Some are in forever. Many buy machines and get burnt out. Homeowners tend to buy 1 maybe 2 and then never again.

#29 7 years ago

I can see this hobby getting a back burner for a few years coming up pretty quick. What keeps me interested the most is buying a game and fixing it up. I just won't have the time to do this soon. But I bet I get back into it full throttle when I retire.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Homeowners tend to buy 1 maybe 2 and then never again.

as opposed to renters? what?

#31 7 years ago

Pinball is to the bone, and til death do you part

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Homeowners tend to buy 1 maybe 2 and then never again.

lol, being as that statement was made on a website devoted to obsessive pinheads and their hobby... that's pretty damn funny.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

Mr68 said:Pinball is the Hotel California of hobbies. "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave."
    +1 I've never been obsessed with a hobby like this one. except for looking at boobies.

Pffftttt....that's not a hobby, that's a way of life!

#34 7 years ago

I left for 2 years...Personal life fell apart...But to be truthful, I left most everything that I once enjoyed. Became a hermit

#35 7 years ago

because I had only 1 pin for several months I got bored and I couldn't break my friend's record, I stoped playing for couple of months, but then I returned to buy 2 pins and pre-ordered the third

I don't think I'll quit, buying, fixing, playing and even selling these machines are fun, how can we quit !! and they are really nice decoration in any room

#36 7 years ago

Life changes, like a divorce, can wreak havoc on your outlook in life. I never really leave any of my hobbies, even when I am not doing them...they may get packed up and shelved but my interest remains. I am glad I sold a pin, finally. I hate being a wannbe hoarder when it comes to these things! hahah... But now I am thinking I like the two that I have and I will enjoy playing them in the future...but no so much right now. As I hinted, life takes sudden changes and you adjust...but never forget...

#37 7 years ago

I'm in and out of this hobby all the time. It's what I'm known for with my friends and family, but sometimes other things come about that consume majority of my time. I'll never fully leave though. I'm in the middle of a pin itch right now, that just won't go away.

#38 7 years ago

I heard of a guy in the community around Fort Myers that is out of it.
    I've been told he moved near me, so I might invite him back :^)

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I'm rapidly approaching that point right now. I'm not sure why.

Having the same thoughts.

I think I have hit the wall and suddenly thinking of totally putting a halt to this addiction! I think I'm ready for Pin-a-non.

When I ask myself 'why', four things come up:

1. Seems like I'm constantly having to repair something on a pin, or have the itch to do something to improve it, like more LED's, mods, etc. and devote a huge amount of time to this.

2. Depression over how many friends and visitors have absolutely no interest in my 12 beautiful pins!!!

3. How much TIME I have wasted constantly working on them, playing them, and being on Pinside!!!

4. Have spent enough money on pins I could have paid off all my debts and rared back in an easy-chair and no more worries.

Keep thinking of when will I get so tired of this I'll 'cash 'em in' . . .

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

Keep thinking of when will I get so tired of this I'll 'cash 'em in'

Hope you stay in the hobby. Think of how satisfying it is when you finish those repairs and mods. Always a good feeling! Keep me in mind if you decide to cash out WH2O or MSF. I'll give them a good home.

#41 7 years ago

No way jarjar. I have been hounding pintucky for his WH2O for 6 months.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheStranger:

I think if you don't obsess over this stuff and engage in it just every now and again the hobby can last you a long time even a lifetime.

I agree 100%.
    If pinball is your whole life 24-7, it can really take a toll on the ones that love you. I'm not saying that you should just quit pinball and go cold turkey... Just balance it with some outdoor activities.
    Pinball for me is a stress reliever; it also encompasses a lot of my other passions- Art, tinkering, drinking, nudity, music, movies/pop culture... You get the idea!

I guess what I am trying to say is...
    Hey, Cointaker is starting to release their GB's, hooray!!!

#43 7 years ago

Besides pinball 'burn out' think about this-
    in your 30s-40s not that bad moving games down into your basement 'bunker'
    but when you get into your 60s or 70s?
    they have to come out some day

#44 7 years ago

I've just spent 3 days tinkering with an EM trying to get it to reset properly. I tore the thing apart and cleaned everything. In the end it was a simple relay adjustment. Seeing all those reels hit 00000 was met with the most ridiculous of victory dances.

And to think I almost gave up!

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

2. Depression over how many friends and visitors have absolutely no interest in my 12 beautiful pins!!!

True for me as well except 1/4 the number of pins. Though for every 5-10 people that don't care, there seems to be at least 1 person that really digs them and gets glued to them like I do. Most appreciate that I have them, but are not at all motivated to play them. Some sort of phenomenon I guess....

This hobby has saved me some sanity on several occasions, and it's only been 6 months since I got my first pin. It really is a great escape, so I can't see leaving it behind any time soon.

Hang in there Mike!

#46 7 years ago

The only way people leave this hobby is wearing cement shoes to go swim with the fishes. Oh wait, that was something else......

Quoted from Pintucky:

How much TIME I have wasted constantly working on them, playing them, and being on Pinside!!!

Instead of looking at it that way I choose to see that I have spent that time learning new skills; creating cabinet stencils, spraying paint with a HVLP gun, metal work, using Photoshop to create waterslide decals for playfield repair, using an airbrush, etc.

Quoted from jahbarron:

Seeing all those reels hit 00000 was met with the most ridiculous of victory dances.

That's why we do this stuff, right there. To bring something, be it pins, jukeboxes, or cars back to its former glory in any fashion is gratifying. I particularly like the fact that this hobby keeps the mind and hands working. I'll slow down when it's time to take a dirt nap.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Pintucky said:Keep thinking of when will I get so tired of this I'll 'cash 'em in'
    Hope you stay in the hobby. Think of how satisfying it is when you finish those repairs and mods. Always a good feeling! Keep me in mind if you decide to cash out WH2O or MSF. I'll give them a good home.

Don't be a quitter!

but along with JarJar's thoughts... If you do opt to cash out someday I would give your TSPP and LOTR a good home You could send 4 machines to live in Madison with one phone call

#48 7 years ago

most of the guys that left did it with the fall of the arcades because you had no option. (unless you had money to have machines)
    VP helped getting those guys back.

#49 7 years ago

I haven't been in the game long enough to quit but I see a lot of people talking about money. These things are expensive but what hobby isn't? In most cases, except NIB buys, you are breaking close enough to even for it not to matter much. In some cases you can make money and that's an awesome hobby if you ask me.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

In most cases, except NIB buys, you are breaking close enough to even for it not to matter much.

This is assuming that you sell something. The problem is when you have 5, 10, 15, etc pins in your collection, all of that cash is tied up in those machines. People will eventually get to a tipping point as many have noted above. It's a new car, college tuition, etc.

You're right that once you sell the investments you will redeem a good portion of your costs, that's more than can be said for golf, skiing, or whatever your other hobbies are.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 208.87
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.63
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball-Mods.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 49.00
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 64.99
    $ 10.00
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 999.00
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside