(Topic ID: 232627)

Does anyone else see Houdini as lacking in several areas?

By harryhoudini

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bobukcat
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz-boards (resized).jpg
F304BC0A-DA21-4FAC-BF70-EA7553E0A96D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There are huge variations in play experience on Houdini based almost solely on setup. It needs pretty extensive dialing in from the factory. But once you get it right, it's very good. Unfortunately most ops just throw it out without setting it up properly.

This is right on the nose. The game will probably never be able to earn on location due to this. It really does need to be set up within a few millimetres to really shine - and that’s just not going to happen on location or frankly at most homes.

I don’t get the criticism about the animation though - it’s supposed to be more period, and reminds me of Terry Gilliam’s art from Monty Python. It’s almost identical to Aerosmith’s style as well, which is a Stern game. They seem to know what they are doing..

Good lesson for AP to make the layout more tolerant of setup variation perhaps. But they did design the game with the intention that it play a little floaty and slower than your typical game. Nobody sets it up like that though.

I still play this game all the time though, the setup time is worth it. And they really came through on the power supply thing. Selling it at cost and ALSO giving out a full $150 credit ? That’s over and above IMO.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

How does everyone keep saying that???? If you bought a car and it didn't start would you be happy in buying a battery and be given credit to buy something in their gift shop or god for bid you have to buy another game?? Right would have been to just send out the dam Correct power supply end of story. Did you notice that Houdini power supply is NOT in the October Fest? Because they knew it was Wrong. Keep your gift shop coupon just make the dam game work as paid for. $7,000 is still allot of money start up or not. Just sayin, this game really disappointed me.

Ok, cargument time! Lol. Your analogy doesn’t work though. It’s not that the car wouldn’t start, it’s that it would steer inconsistently. It’s not like the game didn’t work.

Have you never had a recall? This happens ALL.the.time with cars. And yes, even the battery. Toyota, Honda and BMW have done it in the past 1-2 years alone. FOR THE BATTERY.

Sure it’s frustrating. And OF COURSE the power supply is not in Oktoberfest. They made the power supply decision 2 years ago, and had the supply already ordered or in inventory. They spent 6 months just figuring out how to fix it - only after realising they didn’t do enough testing offsite in different electrical environments. They could have just blew it off and said we were all crazy like most companies do. Instead they designed an out-of-cycle fix, made it cheap to buy, AND credited buyers back for it.

Anyway, I’m not trying to jump down your throat, but this is how I run my company, and it has paid us back in spades every single time. You screw up, you fix it. You don’t hide. And everybody screws up once in a while. Even me! Today, I got in a big argument with a guy over the internet!

9 months later
#129 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

There have been code updates. see: https://www.american-pinball.com/support/updates/
Great game - code updates are substantial. the last update was on 4/7/2019, about 6 months ago.

There is another (currently unscheduled) update planned as well but since the game is off the production line, and AP (and specifically Josh Kugler who is the sole programmer) is not actively working on it during regular business hours - it may be a while . That said, the code is actually pretty complete, despite a few missing animations.

I am still flabbergasted by the complaints about the animations. I find them no worse than say Stern’s Aerosmith, and certainly a step up from DMD animation in general. Plus there’s a LOT. Of animations, of modes, of multi balls, of mini wizard modes, of interesting shots, of challenges! The game is packed with stuff, there’s no question.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-else-see-houdini-as-lacking-in-several-areas?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.