(Topic ID: 232627)

Does anyone else see Houdini as lacking in several areas?

By harryhoudini

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bobukcat
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz-boards (resized).jpg
F304BC0A-DA21-4FAC-BF70-EA7553E0A96D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is there another commercial pinball machine since the invention of the flipper whose development cycle didn't include a whitewood?

Alien. Was never a single flipping white wood in the entire years of development. Houdini at least had the excuse that the entire thing was done in 4 months, an impressive feat in and of itself. Even if I join the majority in not caring much for the end result that was quite a trick to pull off.

#83 5 years ago

Fonts matter to me.

They may not to you, and that's cool, but I get to decide what matters to me, and bad typography irritates me.

Stern is barely figuring out what to do with their LCD, results are all over the map, it's hardly surprising AP is too. It's not the most important thing, I don't really like Iron Maiden's LCD much, but the game shoots great, so it's not a big deal. I don't even like the band really, I'd still own it. Because, again, it shoots great, it's a fun game, the physical part is nailed. The reason to play pinball.

If Houdini shot less tight people would forgive a lot more. To me it feels like there's one more shot than necessary crammed in, and I don't like how that feels. That trumps whatever is on the LCD.

I'm biased since it's what I do for a living, but I'm also informed because of that, and I think AP needs a creative director, to help them navigate the waters they're struggling in. Someone to bring the right eye to the art direction, make things consistent, spend creative resources wisely. But I doubt companies like AP really have the budget for stuff like that, everyone probably wears a lot of hats. Clearly they have engineering and programming talent, I just think they need another tent pole.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They're not even in the same sales ballpark. Houdini has sold and will continue to sell way more than ACNC.

How do we know that? They aren’t making sales figures public I presume. ACNC we know the max on at least.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-else-see-houdini-as-lacking-in-several-areas?tu=Aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.