(Topic ID: 272885)

Does anyone else just like modern games?

By Jeffswack

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN7087 (resized).JPG
    d0e65774f7ba14a43edd092b5cc095a9a676e2e1 (resized).jpeg
    5b268987cba30633f9b16287acc5e40d9d609cab (resized).jpg
    ab6435f0c76bd88df68d363fcbfe4f2a9703721d (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSCN7082 (resized).JPG
    FB_IMG_1593878283306 (resized).jpg
    AC935A99-CD86-47C2-A745-244B9E6E71BD (resized).jpeg
    Resized_15946456146212371012917672479985_21431624458362 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 3 years ago

The games you mentioned are considered classics by most serious pinball enthusiasts/players these days.

You mentioned the phrase "Get into". Once I play a single ball for 20+ mins on a game, I have to try to make the game harder by removing posts or something else crazy. Unless the game is brutal, the pinball experience is just not very satisfying for me.
    Generally speaking, the newer machines have MUCH longer ball times (especially true with JJP titles).

Myself, I can't really "get into" games where a 4 player game takes an hour. I do like some of everything and have owned a lot of games over the years. One reason I had to sell TSPP is that as time went on learning the game became an extremely long playing, drawn out, monotonous experience. You may like a game that is nearly impossible to reach the end mode(s) on. Those games remind me more of a RPG style video game more than a classic pinball experience.

When I think of crazy action and a pinball arcade experience I tend to gravitate towards games like Stern Tron or AFM. They are non stop action and are over the top and cheesy as hell. It's just what I like. It reminds me of the brutal nature of the old school arcade. You are trying to keep that ball alive so that you get your money's worth out of the arcade operator whose pockets you are filling. For me, that experience is completely lost on titles with ball times and video enhancements that are meant to engage the player away from the actual physical action and physics of pinball.

It seems like you know what you like and you don't have to waste and money or time owning those titles you mentioned. You are a step ahead of a lot of others in the hobby. Seems like others buy games just to try them out, only to be disappointed and they don't figure out what they really want out of a game until they make a lot of mistakes buying and reselling many titles.

When I started out collecting, I really thought Monster Bash was a fantastic title and always thought I would own one some day. As time went on, I realized it's just not the game for me. It's fun but it is not a title I see myself playing again and again. I just don't feel like I would get my money's worth out of it, after playing it at other venues, homes, and tournaments hundreds and hundreds of times. Certain games just lose their appeal after time goes bye. Other titles I never thought I would like are games that I will likely never let go.

1 week later
    #110 3 years ago

I can pretty much make the following statement without a doubt in my mind. “If it wasn’t for Neil Shatz, I probably would have never played and EM in my entire life, let alone own a bunch over the years.”

That was quite a few years ago when I though EMs were a bore. I changed my mind very quickly once I realized that you have to approach older games with a different skill set. It has very little to do with competently playing MODERN pinball.
    Playing ONLY modern games is fine if you only play and like those games. The desire to own and master EMs in the pinball community has a lot more to do with the current state of competitive pinball over embracing “an earlier time” and “old man nostalgia”. Some probably are in that “old man pinball group” but around here in the Midwest, most EM owners compete in some sort of competitive pinball... League, tournaments, $1 games at the bar.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bospins:

I’ll say this:
    Most older games, and especially EMs, have sexualized or vaguely (or overtly) racist themes or art. I get that they are a product of their time and this is not a comment on their layouts or rule sets, but in my house, in the time through which we are living - it’s a no go.
    Of course there are exceptions but I suspect the above may be a factor in what ends up in the garage/basement/cave.

One of the most inaccurate and uninformed nonsense posts that I have ever seen on this site.

There are some that did not age so well “in the times that we live” but it’s more like 1-2 percent of all machines ever made and you would really have to seek them out on purpose to find one. NOT MOST!
    Posting things like this may seem like no big deal but it is so bad for the site and for the public opinion of pinball in general. It’s like people are trying to burn down the hobby.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-else-just-like-modern-games?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.