(Topic ID: 272885)

Does anyone else just like modern games?

By Jeffswack

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN7087 (resized).JPG
    d0e65774f7ba14a43edd092b5cc095a9a676e2e1 (resized).jpeg
    5b268987cba30633f9b16287acc5e40d9d609cab (resized).jpg
    ab6435f0c76bd88df68d363fcbfe4f2a9703721d (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSCN7082 (resized).JPG
    FB_IMG_1593878283306 (resized).jpg
    AC935A99-CD86-47C2-A745-244B9E6E71BD (resized).jpeg
    Resized_15946456146212371012917672479985_21431624458362 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 3 years ago

I’m partial to newer games. Oldest game I’ve owned was Bride of Pinbot 1991.

I really prefer the newer pins like from the last dozen years but do own AFM remake and it’s just about perfect. I think it strikes the balance between great layout and great rules. Plus the remake has a larger color display and updated lights.

To me lights are very important and I think older pins don’t stand out much as the new breed. Like TNA, Woz, etc.

Think the newer pins rely more on deeper rules than outstanding toys / layout.

Personally I’d prefer DI to TZ but I can see how other people would not. But the outstanding display and sound and color lights and rules top TZ however TZ was a marvel in it’s time.

Not sure about anything older than the 90s never really cared for the older but possible that I’ve not given enough play time.

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Well, usually newbs like newer games. No disrespect, of course, I like newer games myself! I used to feel exactly like you do. However, time will pass and you will learn to like older games. Trust me. It will happen. Patience, my friend.

You’re calling me a newbie?

Whenever I can I’ll play a few older pins like EBD thinking what am I missing? I’ve never played an older game and felt the rush I’m getting from any of my newer pins.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Don't feel bad, I don't like EBD either
    Yes I know I'm a heretic, for some reason the title just doesn't gel with me even though I like Medusa, Xenon and Flash Gordon.

I'm going to have to give some older games some more attention although I do like modern reliability and like pins that have not been degraded by time and age, perhaps someone will remake some of the classic SS games Fathom, Flash, Centaur etc..

#101 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jmckune:

Who would really take one of those and think they could really have more fun out of that one game than my 5 pin lineup?

It all depends on how you look at it tho.

I bought a Tron pro and spent 1500 in mods and sold it 7 years later for $2000 more than I paid.

I bought STLE and sold it for same as I paid (including mods) after 4 years.

those 2 games example had owned 11 years cumulative and made $500 while playing more than a thousand games.

Now it's true the purchase price is not in line with a $1200 old pin but the cost of ownership was nil.

true that I lost money on a few pins like XMLE but overall not really lost much, I own my Potc going on 14 years now and can sell it for maybe 700 less than I have spent on it would be less than $1 a week of ownership. (I actually over paid when I bought that because I didn't know about direct purchases so I bought it retail form a pin shop and paid sales tax and delivery so it was 5200 back in 2006 had I bought it direct I'd probably be even money).

I've been collecting 16 years now and probably spent over 100 grand on pins but factoring in bought and sold (gain and loss) the cost was probably less than $500 a year.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-else-just-like-modern-games?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.