(Topic ID: 272885)

Does anyone else just like modern games?

By Jeffswack

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN7087 (resized).JPG
    d0e65774f7ba14a43edd092b5cc095a9a676e2e1 (resized).jpeg
    5b268987cba30633f9b16287acc5e40d9d609cab (resized).jpg
    ab6435f0c76bd88df68d363fcbfe4f2a9703721d (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSCN7082 (resized).JPG
    FB_IMG_1593878283306 (resized).jpg
    AC935A99-CD86-47C2-A745-244B9E6E71BD (resized).jpeg
    Resized_15946456146212371012917672479985_21431624458362 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 3 years ago

While I like pinballs of all eras (though admittedly I can't say that I have played many from the 50's or earlier), there are almost no "new" games that I would even consider purchasing (except for the CGC remakes).

Maybe if I had room for 20 or more machines, I'd be willing to consider a DP or BM66, but as I can only fit a few games, that's not going to happen.

My favorites are the 90's B/W, but I also love a lot of SS machines (like EBD and Centaur) and EM machines (like Atlantis and El Dorado).

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Then you're missing out on the first games designed by a world champion. They are truly amazing in a home environment, even though they have absolute shit QC and build quality LoL.

I'm not missing out on anything. I said that I wouldn't purchase them, I didn't say that I haven't played them.

And yes, there are some that I like (JP3, DP, BM66, GOTG to name a few), but I only buy machines that I love - and these don't qualify (even if they fix the inconsistent quality issues).

Like I said, if I had room for lots of games, maybe some of these would make the cut, but even then...maybe not.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Some might say there's contradiction in ur comment, and I'm one of them.
    What the hell r u talking about?

I don't see what's so confusing or contradictory. I was accused of "missing out" on the "new, great" games. I said that I wasn't missing out on them, I have played them, and while there are a few that I do like, there aren't any of them that I love.

And since I only have room for a few games, I have to reserve that space for games that I love. That means that unless some future new game arrives that I do love, I won't be buying any new games. (with the possible exception of another CGC remake of an older game)

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

U are missing out but........................
    I don't care anymore.

Still don't see how you think I'm "missing out". Except for the absolute newest machines (TMNT, Rick&Morty, and Hot Wheels), I've played virtually all of them.

And no, I don't love any of them, though there are a few that I do like.

1 week later
    #126 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I call it the rule of thirds, the three elements that make a great pin.
    Theme, sound and game play

Interesting. For me it's about 80% game play and 10% sound and 10% theme.

For me, the theme just has to "not suck". My 3 machines are MBr, EBD, and WH20. And I am not a fan of Movie Monsters, or Billiards, and I have never been whitewater rafting (though I'd kind of like to try some day). These machines all have great gameplay, but are not known for their great sound.

I am however, a huge Star Trek / Star Wars fan, but those machines don't get the gameplay nod from me (though ST:TNG and the Bally Star Trek are at least decent).

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

For me, that's a fine line there. As so many themes from the last few years have sucked so bad

I agree. For example, Iron Maiden is a theme that "sucks". Even though the gameplay is quite good, the sucky theme prevents me from considering a purchase. As another example, BKSOR is an OK theme, but the gameplay isn't there.

If they would re-theme Iron Maiden as Black Knight, it would have purchase potential. For me, the theme just has to be OK, if the gameplay is worthy. But if the theme sucks...well, the rest of it won't matter.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-else-just-like-modern-games?tu=mbeardsley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.