(Topic ID: 272885)

Does anyone else just like modern games?

By Jeffswack

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN7087 (resized).JPG
    d0e65774f7ba14a43edd092b5cc095a9a676e2e1 (resized).jpeg
    5b268987cba30633f9b16287acc5e40d9d609cab (resized).jpg
    ab6435f0c76bd88df68d363fcbfe4f2a9703721d (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSCN7082 (resized).JPG
    FB_IMG_1593878283306 (resized).jpg
    AC935A99-CD86-47C2-A745-244B9E6E71BD (resized).jpeg
    Resized_15946456146212371012917672479985_21431624458362 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

When you get down and *really* understand a game, when the lightbulb goes off and you can envision the path to a replay, truly I think you can enjoy almost anything.

I have 60's through present day pins, they all have their various charms and appreciate what each generation brings to the table.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The longer you’re in the hobby, the more nuanced your tastes become. You begin to appreciate the simplicity of the older games - it’s a more pure pinball experience.
    And you don’t stop liking new stuff, you just expand.

Ripping the spinners in Night Rider and hearing the reels and chimes trying to keep up is just such a treat, worth a game in itself. And then trying to get all the drops down to light the bonus is pure marksmanship pinball.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I want to like SS/EM games but not happening. I grew up mostly in the SS era but don't have any memories of pins until late 80's sys11. Pins that really caught my attention where early 90's dmd. They had integrated themes with music, callouts, humor, display animations, and incredible toys.

Data East has some great titles for music, humor and display animations. I just picked up Torpedo Alley and have been playing the hell out of it, 8 different music tracks! They made the most out of the available tech at the time, also try DE Time Machine.

Resized_15946456146212371012917672479985_21431624458362 (resized).jpegResized_15946456146212371012917672479985_21431624458362 (resized).jpeg
    #57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Free your mind, and your ass will follow...

I lean towards 80's Ballys and Data East titles but have to say the Stern Star Trek Premium I have hanging out in the game room is pretty impressive. The sound quality is superb and I'm not completely surprised considering the sound and music were handled by David Thiel who designed the first stereo sound boards for Data East. The man is a legend in the industry.

It shoots very smooth and is a well done package, one of Sterns better efforts that I have played.

The lighting is also excellent.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

You’re calling me a newbie?
    Whenever I can I’ll play a few older pins like EBD thinking what am I missing? I’ve never played an older game and felt the rush I’m getting from any of my newer pins.

Don't feel bad, I don't like EBD either

Yes I know I'm a heretic, for some reason the title just doesn't gel with me even though I like Medusa, Xenon and Flash Gordon.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess I am lucky I was born in 1962 instead of 1959 then. Neither Generation Z, Baby Boomer, and thank god not Generation X.

You are by definition a Baby Boomer, tail end 1964

Proud Gen X myself.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

By definition only. I was the young one on our street, while all the other kids were older like my brother who was born in 1959. Many people my age did not relate when they became yuppies. And babies were no longer booming in 1962.
    Reason I don't care to be associated with GenX either, is if this website is a good representation, many are stuck in the past and for some reason think the 80s were great and time stopped when that decade was over.
    In the meantime, I never fell into either trap.

Well were both mutants then as I didn't play pinball at all in the 80's

The time you are in is what you make of it.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

So many misconceptions coming to light in this thread;
    old pins are unreliabe....wrong
    new pins are more reliable....dead wrong!
    pre-flippers are boring....wrong
    EMs have slow game play....wrong
    Some of you guys need to expand your horizons! There are so
    many great pins of ALL vintages. Put your preconceptions aside
    and buy a game or two you may have blown off in the past.
    Might be suprised.
    Steve

I have two small flipper EM where there pucker factor just ratchets to 11 when the ball drops down into the flipper zone.

Just a brutal feeling as you try and loft the ball back where it will do the most good. High risk/reward shots for sure. SDTM should you fail. Love it.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

One of the most inaccurate and uninformed nonsense posts that I have ever seen on this site.

I'm sure Bospins will get right on taking the Jungle Queen they own to the dump with a sexist depiction of a woman as a theme.

ab6435f0c76bd88df68d363fcbfe4f2a9703721d (resized).jpgab6435f0c76bd88df68d363fcbfe4f2a9703721d (resized).jpg
    #119 3 years ago
    Quoted from GTO:

I would say 70's and 80's pins are the more sexualized. The amount of rock hard nipples makes you think we went through an ice age during that time.

I prefer the 70' and 80's art.

5b268987cba30633f9b16287acc5e40d9d609cab (resized).jpg5b268987cba30633f9b16287acc5e40d9d609cab (resized).jpgd0e65774f7ba14a43edd092b5cc095a9a676e2e1 (resized).jpegd0e65774f7ba14a43edd092b5cc095a9a676e2e1 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #125 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Wrong, I am up to 39 games and counting with zero interest in older games. To me older single level games are boring as hell and do nothing for me. Everyone likes different things and it is not 'wrong' if you do not care for older titles or if you prefer newer titles. One thing I am finding as my collection gets bigger is I pay way more attention now to themes and I now really prefer games I can relate to. Theme has become big for me in the last couple of years.
    BTW O-din you know I am serious about Radical-pm me when you have had your fill (:

I call it the rule of thirds, the three elements that make a great pin.

Theme, sound and game play

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from Saddath:

I think that's not entirely true. sometimes the thirds can move around.
    My BSD, love the hard gameplay,like the dark sound. But the theme...not really my cup
    And my A13, gameplay is ok, sound is great as I love the movie, and theme? This game will never leave me. I'm too big of a rocket and space fan and it's standing right next to my displays of modelrockets.
    So thirds is definately off sometimes

Its just a rule of thumb.

Sometimes great game play and sound can overcome a poor theme.

You get two areas that are weak though and the last third can't pull it across the finish line. I love Data East but not even considering a Tales from the Crypt as the theme does nothing for me and the whole Crypt Keeper shtick kills the sound portion, like nails on a chalkboard. Might be the finest pin DE made but the negatives kill it for me.

Other people love it I'm sure, there is something for everyone.

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

If you feel like you can’t get into older pins, I highly recommend going to Pinburgh. Playing an EM or SS pin competitively gives me an adrenaline rush. I fell in love with Sound Stage, Argosy and Triple Action at Pinburgh. I just finished restoring an OXO and it’s plenty fast - I had to move it off of high-tap so the game didn’t play itself.

A well tuned EM is a joy to play, I found it puzzling to hear people state "they were slow and boring" till I went to my first pin show. If your opinions of EM is based on what you see and play at a show I think there lies part of the problem! The number of well playing EM I have seen at shows the last 3 years has been disheartening. I played one fully restored EM that was pitched so poorly the ball ambled around the playfield aimlessly. The machine looked great, pity the gameplay did not match.

Typical play on a well tuned EM should be a twitch-fest of speed. Deep? No but there should be plenty of excitement.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-else-just-like-modern-games?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.