(Topic ID: 272885)

Does anyone else just like modern games?

By Jeffswack

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN7087 (resized).JPG
    d0e65774f7ba14a43edd092b5cc095a9a676e2e1 (resized).jpeg
    5b268987cba30633f9b16287acc5e40d9d609cab (resized).jpg
    ab6435f0c76bd88df68d363fcbfe4f2a9703721d (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSCN7082 (resized).JPG
    FB_IMG_1593878283306 (resized).jpg
    AC935A99-CD86-47C2-A745-244B9E6E71BD (resized).jpeg
    Resized_15946456146212371012917672479985_21431624458362 (resized).jpeg

There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

there are almost no "new" games that I would even consider purchasing (except for the CGC remakes).
    Maybe if I had room for 20 or more machines, I'd be willing to consider a DP or BM66, but as I can only fit a few games, that's not going to happen.
    My favorites are the 90's B/W, but I also love a lot of SS machines (like EBD and Centaur) and EM machines (like Atlantis and El Dorado).

Then you're missing out on the first games designed by a world champion. They are truly amazing in a home environment, even though they have absolute shit QC and build quality LoL.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

there are almost no "new" games that I would even consider purchasing

Why?
    Jesus, u r missing out on some of the best pinball machines made to date.

#53 3 years ago

I clicked in this thread just to see how grumpy Odin replied

#54 3 years ago

Free your mind, and your ass will follow...

#55 3 years ago

As far as ownership all solid state . As far as playing a well maintained EM just fine to play if a good title .

Why limit yourself ?

Shane

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

As far as ownership all solid state . As far as playing a well maintained EM just fine to play if a good title .
    Why limit yourself ?
    Shane

I dunno, you literally said you'd only own solid states. Lol

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Free your mind, and your ass will follow...

I lean towards 80's Ballys and Data East titles but have to say the Stern Star Trek Premium I have hanging out in the game room is pretty impressive. The sound quality is superb and I'm not completely surprised considering the sound and music were handled by David Thiel who designed the first stereo sound boards for Data East. The man is a legend in the industry.

It shoots very smooth and is a well done package, one of Sterns better efforts that I have played.

The lighting is also excellent.

#58 3 years ago

Will this thread drift into cargument territory? Do you like new games with lots of modern electronics and convenience or do you like older games with tons of character and individuality.

#59 3 years ago

Sure, I like newer pins but also older ones. Frankly there is a LOT more
    variety available if you explore older pins. My collection spans pins made in 1931
    up to games about 10 years ago. Would have some current pins here
    if prices were somewhat realistic.
    Steve

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Then you're missing out on the first games designed by a world champion. They are truly amazing in a home environment, even though they have absolute shit QC and build quality LoL.

I'm not missing out on anything. I said that I wouldn't purchase them, I didn't say that I haven't played them.

And yes, there are some that I like (JP3, DP, BM66, GOTG to name a few), but I only buy machines that I love - and these don't qualify (even if they fix the inconsistent quality issues).

Like I said, if I had room for lots of games, maybe some of these would make the cut, but even then...maybe not.

#61 3 years ago

Nothing like those classic B/W pins. Magic

#62 3 years ago

Im having a Blast with my Farfalla!

#63 3 years ago

I’m partial to newer games. Oldest game I’ve owned was Bride of Pinbot 1991.

I really prefer the newer pins like from the last dozen years but do own AFM remake and it’s just about perfect. I think it strikes the balance between great layout and great rules. Plus the remake has a larger color display and updated lights.

To me lights are very important and I think older pins don’t stand out much as the new breed. Like TNA, Woz, etc.

Think the newer pins rely more on deeper rules than outstanding toys / layout.

Personally I’d prefer DI to TZ but I can see how other people would not. But the outstanding display and sound and color lights and rules top TZ however TZ was a marvel in it’s time.

Not sure about anything older than the 90s never really cared for the older but possible that I’ve not given enough play time.

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Well, usually newbs like newer games. No disrespect, of course, I like newer games myself! I used to feel exactly like you do. However, time will pass and you will learn to like older games. Trust me. It will happen. Patience, my friend.

You’re calling me a newbie?

Whenever I can I’ll play a few older pins like EBD thinking what am I missing? I’ve never played an older game and felt the rush I’m getting from any of my newer pins.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Notice the use of "usually."

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Whenever I can I’ll play a few older pins like EBD thinking what am I missing? I’ve never played an older game and felt the rush I’m getting from any of my newer pins.

Don't feel bad, I don't like EBD either

Yes I know I'm a heretic, for some reason the title just doesn't gel with me even though I like Medusa, Xenon and Flash Gordon.

#67 3 years ago

If modern games are my wife, classic games are my mistress. I love them both for different reasons. Modern games take time and have awesome rewards, but classic games can be a quick fun roll. I can't imagine owning only one type of game. I've balanced out my collection so whatever kind of pinball mood I'm in, there will be a game ready for that.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

The larger your collection gets the more you will appreciate the pick up and play nature of older games.

True.

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

I’m actually the opposite. I can’t really get into the new stuff.

Same here. Don't want to have newer games in my home collection, they have no "soul" imo.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

I'm not missing out on anything. I said that I wouldn't purchase them, I didn't say that I haven't played them.

And yes, there are some that I like (JP3, DP, BM66, GOTG to name a few), but I only buy machines that I love - and these don't qualify (even if they fix the inconsistent quality issues).

Like I said, if I had room for lots of games, maybe some of these would make the cut, but even then...maybe not.

Some might say there's contradiction in ur comment, and I'm one of them.
    What the hell r u talking about?

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’ve never played an older game and felt the rush I’m getting from any of my newer pins.

That's too bad. Multiball in Centaur is a total rush.

#71 3 years ago

I'm the same, I only enjoy and like the games from the 90's on. My oldest pin is No Fear and I really enjoy it. My family enjoys the newer ones much more than the older pins. I admit, I really enjoy the LCD screens, integrated clips, small video games, etc. The newer ones feel like they are moving me through a story at times.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Don't feel bad, I don't like EBD either
    Yes I know I'm a heretic, for some reason the title just doesn't gel with me even though I like Medusa, Xenon and Flash Gordon.

I'm going to have to give some older games some more attention although I do like modern reliability and like pins that have not been degraded by time and age, perhaps someone will remake some of the classic SS games Fathom, Flash, Centaur etc..

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Some might say there's contradiction in ur comment, and I'm one of them.
    What the hell r u talking about?

I don't see what's so confusing or contradictory. I was accused of "missing out" on the "new, great" games. I said that I wasn't missing out on them, I have played them, and while there are a few that I do like, there aren't any of them that I love.

And since I only have room for a few games, I have to reserve that space for games that I love. That means that unless some future new game arrives that I do love, I won't be buying any new games. (with the possible exception of another CGC remake of an older game)

#74 3 years ago

I've been trying to decide what my favorite era of pinball is for a little while now, and it's not easy. It's probably either the 70s, 80s, or 90s, but I love modern games and I love the few pre-70s games I've played as well. The oldest game I've played is Gottlieb's Knock Out from 1950, and I had a blast with it. I'd love to try some pre-war games soon.

EMs are great because of the challenge, immediate replayability, and unique layouts. Furthermore, I love seeing the origins of now-standard concepts in pinball. Things like the first game to have a bonus multiplier (or a bonus at all for that matter), or a spinner or captive ball that could be lit for a higher value. Things that are completely pedestrian on modern games, but were once brand-new features. The level of creativity and complexity on display in games that don't have a computer on board is fascinating.

Then the upgrade that SS bought was spectacular. Look at games like Black Knight, Centaur and Haunted House. Imagine games that intricate just a decade earlier, with scoring features that complex and varied, all made possible by that (now minuscule) computer running the show.

Each stage of pinball's history is fun to me because the primary rule has never changed: Score points. While video games have gone all over the place since their beginnings, in good and not-so-good ways, every era in pinball satisfies the same competitive feelings of beating your best record or challenging friends, just through vastly different layouts, rules and strategies.

#75 3 years ago

The op apparently doesn't like big tits.

#76 3 years ago

im kinda in the middle? almost all of my favorites are 1980's-90's system 12 solid states. i've never gotten into most em's, and with a few exceptions (namely iron maiden, simpsons pinball party and batman 66) i feel p meh about most modern day sterns and the like. i feel like im a bit of an outlier in some pinball circles in that regard.

I'm also a bit of an outlier in terms of age i suspect. I'm an 18 year old who got into pinball through playing it with her dad as a kid, and most other ppl i've met who are into pinball are middle aged men in their 40's-50's.

#77 3 years ago

Funhouse 1990 is an awesome game.

No DMD just fun!

#78 3 years ago

Radical! from 1990 is more fun than Funhouse.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

I don't see what's so confusing or contradictory. I was accused of "missing out" on the "new, great" games.

U are missing out but........................
    I don't care anymore.

#80 3 years ago

For me its not that i dont like the newer titles but i always find myself back to mainly playing the 80s ss games. Just love the sounds and original themes. I find the new games to be a little to busy for my brain.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Some of them are even collecting pre-war games now! Talk about dull!

Try one....you might buy one!

AC935A99-CD86-47C2-A745-244B9E6E71BD (resized).jpegAC935A99-CD86-47C2-A745-244B9E6E71BD (resized).jpeg
    #82 3 years ago

Grew up in SS & DMD era playing, working, competing and didn't care much for pre SYS11 stuff.
    Later getting into classic divisions & tournaments moving to mixed era competition I was "forced" to play older games and really got into them.
    Every era has their advantages and quirks; That's the fun.

But if someone doesn't like what I like I don't really care, makes no diff'rence to my day.

#83 3 years ago

The paradox of pinball is that older enthusiasts, like me (I was born in 1959), lack the attention span to play modern games extensively. We are the Generation Z of the 1970s.

In contrast, Millennials (who are known to lack the depth of deep attention) are drawn to games with complex rules sets and ramp-laden playfields: modern games with toys aplenty. The nuanced rules of these new games require great attention during gameplay. Equally, they demand an investment of considerable energy to both learn the rules and to endure often painfully long ball times. Many of us old-timers simply don't wish to devote that quantum of energy to an activity which we essentially view as a stress reliever. I know that I don't.

Many of us Baby Boomers (born 1946 - 1964) are at a point in our lives where we are either paying college tuition for our kids, retiring empty-nesters or somewhere in between. Relaxation for us includes a "contemplative" element engendered by older games, from the prewar era to solid state. Perhaps pitch and bat EMs most represent that sensibility. The player knows exactly what to do the moment the coin drops, without any mandatory study whatsoever. Pitch the ball and bat it into the bleachers. Do it and you win.

It's midnight on a typical Tuesday. I am awake and restless. The dogs need to go out and the family is asleep. The credit card bill was overdue yesterday. Income stream is down at work. My daughter's car just broke down again.

I descend into my basement gameroom and reach into my pocket. I walk up to a wedgehead and gaze at the coin. What the pandemic fuck! There's a bat image on the 2020 American quarter in the year of covid19. My stress level rises another notch. I drop the cursed coronacoin into the slot.

The melodious chimes of Gottlieb Strange World quickly lower my blood pressure. Three minutes later, more relaxed, I move on. Next, the sight of a physical Ferrari Dinky car racing a Maserati in the backbox of my Midway Flying Turns reflexively turns the sides of my mouth upward. Next, the mechanically flipping Rockola Jigsaw puzzle pieces serve as a final salve to my anxiety. I am a peripatetic guest in my gameroom, populated exclusively by dozens of games with relatively simple objectives. It's nirvana.

My gameroom once had ECLEWOZ, as well as DMD era games like CFTBL and TZ. A Beatles Gold currently resides next to a Bally Expressway and Bally Skyrocket. Nevertheless, pinball for me, like any recreation, is primarily a stress-reducing escape exercise. While I enjoy playing the complex games of today (on location and at Pinfest), my home arcade is a shangri-la, where all of the world's troubles instantly evaporate.

FB_IMG_1593878283306 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1593878283306 (resized).jpg
    #84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

U are missing out but........................
    I don't care anymore.

Still don't see how you think I'm "missing out". Except for the absolute newest machines (TMNT, Rick&Morty, and Hot Wheels), I've played virtually all of them.

And no, I don't love any of them, though there are a few that I do like.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

The paradox of pinball is that older enthusiasts, like me (I was born in 1959), lack the attention span to play modern games extensively. We are the Generation Z of the 1970s.

I guess I am lucky I was born in 1962 instead of 1959 then. Neither Generation Z, Baby Boomer, and thank god not Generation X.

Only thing I don't have the attention span to play is games like LOTR with mile long ball times, Gottliebs, and newer games with sucky themes like TMNT. But I can go all night on games like Rick and Morty, Radical!, and No Fear.

Yep, glad I'm not old.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess I am lucky I was born in 1962 instead of 1959 then. Neither Generation Z, Baby Boomer, and thank god not Generation X.

You are by definition a Baby Boomer, tail end 1964

Proud Gen X myself.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

You are by definition a Baby Boomer, tail end 1964

By definition only. I was the young one on our street, while all the other kids were older like my brother who was born in 1959. Many people my age did not relate when they became yuppies. And babies were no longer booming in 1962.

Reason I don't care to be associated with GenX either, is if this website is a good representation, many are stuck in the past and for some reason think the 80s were great and time stopped when that decade was over.

In the meantime, I never fell into either trap.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

By definition only. I was the young one on our street, while all the other kids were older like my brother who was born in 1959. Many people my age did not relate when they became yuppies. And babies were no longer booming in 1962.
    Reason I don't care to be associated with GenX either, is if this website is a good representation, many are stuck in the past and for some reason think the 80s were great and time stopped when that decade was over.
    In the meantime, I never fell into either trap.

Well were both mutants then as I didn't play pinball at all in the 80's

The time you are in is what you make of it.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Well were both mutants then as I didn't play pinball at all in the 80's

That was probably the decade I played the least pinball as I lived in a surf town with few on location at the time. But I played them wherever I found them. It wasn't like the 70s or 90s though when pinball machines were everywhere. Funny is now, it is 70s EMs that have gotten boring and no longer have a place here.

Quoted from gdonovan:

The time you are in is what you make of it.

The time we are in now and tomorrow is the only time that matters. They can keep trying, but so far nobody has made a successful time machine to take me back to 1967 so I can buy a brand new Shelby GT500 and watch Hendrix play live. And that dream died decades ago when I was still in high school..

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jeffswack:

I've tried but I just can't get an appreciation for most games made before 95 or so. I love the stuff JJP and Stern is doing these days. Even the heyday WPC machines like Medieval Madness, Congo, AFM, etc while I find fun I wouldn't want to own in a home setting. As I was looking to expand my collection--i just keep coming back to newer stuff.
    I know there is lots of hate for newer games but can anyone else just not get into EM/SS/EarlyDMD games?

Is a Medieval Madness Remake modern or not? That's the question...

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Is a Medieval Madness Remake modern or not?

No. It's like taking a step backwards with all that LED crap on it.

#92 3 years ago

Yes, the last few years have been the absolute worst in pinball as manufacturers compete to sell games with super outdated licensed themes to collectors that must be stuck in some kind of a rut, with more money than hair, trying to buy back fragments of their long lost youths.

So, I keep a variety of older and new games that remind me nothing of my childhood, so I can not only play them, but also look at them without wanting to barf.

DSCN7082 (resized).JPGDSCN7082 (resized).JPG

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No. It's like taking a step backwards with all that LED crap on it.

LED crap eh? And you think you're not old? What a paradox!

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The op apparently doesn't like big tits.

Is Big Juicy Melons considered a modern game?

#95 3 years ago

T2 and TAF back in the 90's is what started me playing Pinball. It was all arcade games before that.

#96 3 years ago

I have what many would consider a pretty good small collection of alphanumeric games (Bad Cats, Taxi, Whirlwind, BoP) I love the charm of them and I’d play anything from the 80’s up to 98 before I’d pay $1 to play 1 game on a new stern. For the price that most of them go for, The modern ones just don’t match up. All In for my entire collection, I’ve paid less than the cost of 1 stern pro. Now that’s not counting the things I’ve bought for them to get them back to life and in excellent condition but that’s a part of owning these things. There are 1 or 2 new games I wouldn’t mind owning (EHOH, BKSOR) but cmon for 7500 minimum for Elvira and 5800 for a pro version of BK. Who would really take one of those and think they could really have more fun out of that one game than my 5 pin lineup?

#97 3 years ago

I’m collecting the B/W Superpins. I’ve owned quite a few from 1987 D&D ( miss that pin!), to nib Sterns and JJP.

My recent acquisition is a MMRRE.

I feel the balance of time spent vs quality of experience gravitates to the 1990’s. Didn’t grow up playing pins at all, so no nostalgia. They deliver fun efficiently.

My TWD is brutal for shorter games mostly and if JJP can balance the massive amounts of modes in their pins I can see myself collecting them in the future. Stern needs to seriously up QC but seem on the right track very recently? Opinions on nib Sterns?

#98 3 years ago

I like playing all era of games. I like owning newer games.

#99 3 years ago

So many misconceptions coming to light in this thread;
    old pins are unreliabe....wrong
    new pins are more reliable....dead wrong!
    pre-flippers are boring....wrong
    EMs have slow game play....wrong

Some of you guys need to expand your horizons! There are so
    many great pins of ALL vintages. Put your preconceptions aside
    and buy a game or two you may have blown off in the past.
    Might be suprised.
    Steve

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So, I keep a variety of older and new games

Glad to see you getting back into moderns. Is that Nimblenuts R&M in your garage? -You need to get that in the house. Hoping to come out once all this crap settles down. Let me know when you are done with Radical, it would look good next to Black Rose.

My thoughts on LED's are they only look good on certain titles. I am starting to leave all of my games original and am starting to appreciate the one's with incandescent light bulbs from factory. My LOTR is completely stock and I love the glow of the incandescent. I see some that have been modded out with LED's and to me it looks like skittles. Now there is Tron, that title screams for LED's and mods and makes the playfield really pop. TNA is all about the LED's. I plan on getting Elvis back and keeping it all incandescent. On a side note-I just got a JP Pro and I really like the warm LED's Stern choose for the playfield. They are subtle and remind me of incandescent. They fit the theme perfect.

Also probably a correlation with your age and what era pinball you prefer? Wonder how many 20-40 year old guys are collecting EM's? I grew up as a teenager in the 90's so that is what I remember and what I like. My problem is I like fast games with ramps, VUK's, subway's, etc. While I appreciate the older games for art and nostalgia I prefer the gameplay of games from late 1980's and on.

There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-else-just-like-modern-games/page/2?hl=greenandwhite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.