(Topic ID: 242893)

Does anyone else have this hissing/whining on boot on any JJP game?

By harryhoudini

6 days ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
20190517_091327 (resized).jpg
20190517_091205 (resized).jpg

#1 6 days ago

While it's a relatively small issue and doesn't affect gameplay, per say, it is annoying as hell. Every time I turn on my POTC JJP machine I am reminded of this issue and have to hear the annoying sounds. I could care less about the "pop" that all games have, although I want to find a global solution to that as well. I'd just like to know if I am unique in this situation and/or if anyone has any tips. I've sent this off to JJP support and we've tried a few things. I've switched 3.5mm cables from the mobo to the amp. I've tried the inline ground loop isolator from my WOZ (bypassing the one in POTC) to see if that might be at fault. I tried unplugging the headphone header from the mobo (JJP support suggestion) to see if that was causing any issue. I traced the audio cables, trying to move them away from anything interfering, reinserted them, etc. Nothing here has solved the issue.

Something else, which I am not sure is related or out of the ordinary, is "chirping" that happens occasionally when the game is sitting idle. I posted a video below where you can hear it but you have to listen between me brushing the mic with my hand. It happens a few times.

My only close to a resolution situation has been to devise a delay timer that disconnects the speakers at power on and waits for X seconds to reconnect them. I am still working on this, and it seems like it could be a solution for the pop as well, but it seems like a bandaid which may my indicative of other issues. What if the mobo is going out and this is a sign? Etc.

Has anyone seen this in their JJP game at all?

Hissing/whining on POTC: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tAj1DW7zF9VUAqiM8

WOZ startup (no issues): https://photos.app.goo.gl/VcEJkqHnB3Ut8HGD7

POTC "chirping" (happens at 0:06 and 0:10): https://photos.app.goo.gl/x9SofHLyQjyYfQpy9

While it's not done by any means here is an idea of what the timer does... and you can see, when it times out the speakers come to life and the whining continues: https://photos.app.goo.gl/N6ui8G3GHgzRueqf9

#2 6 days ago

Boy, that’s not right. Don’t have that on either my Hobbit or my POTC.

#3 6 days ago

I so have this on my RR WOZ and have wondered the same thing... is there a way to improve this?

#4 6 days ago

Does that pin have a mechanical hard drive or SSD? I have heard this through my pc speakers on machines I have build too.

#5 6 days ago

That sounds like a ground loop issue. You should check if you have current in your ground and check all gnd connectors too.

#6 6 days ago

This is generally your fix.

Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator for Car Audio/Home Stereo System with 3.5mm Audio Cable (Black) amazon.com link »

It worked on two of mine.

#7 6 days ago

You guys didn't read my post. Not only does the game have a ground loop isolator from the factory, so does WOZ and I swapped them to see if it would change anything. Not the ground loop isolator.

#8 6 days ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Does that pin have a mechanical hard drive or SSD? I have heard this through my pc speakers on machines I have build too.

SSD. So does WOZ, which has no issue.

#9 6 days ago
Quoted from spinal:

I so have this on my RR WOZ and have wondered the same thing... is there a way to improve this?

Thanks, good to know. Now to find out why our games have this when many others don't.

#10 6 days ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Thanks, good to know. Now to find out why our games have this when many others don't.

Call jjp!

#11 6 days ago

Read the post, already in contact with them.

#12 6 days ago

Read my post
Call jjp!

Again

Make them fix your problem.

#13 3 days ago

Well, good new and bad(?) news... found the issue with the hissing/whining. It is, in fact, the ground loop/noise isolator that JJP used. I simply swapped out the existing one in the backbox CPU box with this one from Amazon amazon.com link » and boom, all the noise on boot is gone (and the annoying noises/cracking that happens when the game is fully on).

Sounds like this is another case of quality issues with components.

#14 3 days ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

This is generally your fix.
Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator for Car Audio/Home Stereo System with 3.5mm Audio Cable (Black) amazon.com link »
It worked on two of mine.

Dude... huge apologies to you, you were absolutely correct. It didn't seem possible but you planted that thought in me so I had to test it out. The isolators that JJP uses are either inconsistent or just crappy. I have 3 JJP games in my house right now and 2 do this and 1 does not.

#15 2 days ago

Well, good new and bad(?) news... found the issue with the hissing/whining. It is, in fact, the ground loop/noise isolator that JJP used. I simply swapped out the existing one in the backbox CPU box with this one from Amazon amazon.com link » and boom, all the noise on boot is gone (and the annoying noises/cracking that happens when the game is fully on).

Are these what you are talking about? Mine seems to have two, one in the cpu box and one on the rear wall of the cabinet. Replace them both?

20190517_091205 (resized).jpg20190517_091327 (resized).jpg
#16 2 days ago

Oh wait... I think I wrote earlier on this thread "That sounds like a ground loop issue. You should check if you have current in your ground and check all gnd connectors too."

But I guess I didn't read your post....

Anyways I'm glad it's fixed !

#17 2 days ago
Quoted from adol75:

Oh wait... I think I wrote earlier on this thread "That sounds like a ground loop issue. You should check if you have current in your ground and check all gnd connectors too."
But I guess I didn't read your post....
Anyways I'm glad it's fixed !

Touche

#18 2 days ago

Does anyone else have this whining on boot up of any JJP game?

I do hear a whining sound every time I boot up a JJP game on location.
Then I realize that's just me whining about why I can't afford to buy one.

#19 2 days ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Are these what you are talking about? Mine seems to have two, one in the cpu box and one on the rear wall of the cabinet. Replace them both?
[quoted image][quoted image]

The one in the WOZ on the back wall looks to be for the AUX jack on the back, so it would be the one inside the CPU box (silver box). Yup, you identified the right parts, however. Probably only need to touch the rear one if you use the aux jack and have the same issue.

#20 2 days ago

Did you plug your need one male jack into the Motherboard side or Pinsounds board side (and if so, input from MB or output to speaker bar)?

#21 2 days ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Did you plug your need one male jack into the Motherboard side or Pinsounds board side (and if so, input from MB or output to speaker bar)?

I think you can just replace the existing one directly. However you end up doing it, the path is back of mobo (green) to isolator to sound board (green).

I think this is easiest:
pasted_image (resized).png

#22 2 days ago

Btw, for anyone following and who care, since the focus is now on just the pop (and that is for multiple games, not just JJP) I am working on that. I had a few test parts fail but have two paths going forward that I'm working on. One seems to work fine for preventing the pop at power on but likely not on power off. The other is more complex but may be able to do both. Ideally this solution works for multiple manufacturers.

#23 2 days ago

The pop is called a DC thump, it's common in poorly designed amplifiers and the remedy is to put a relay to delay the connection to the speakers.

It's a cheap circuit, but there is a ready to use kit here : amazon.com link »

#24 2 days ago
Quoted from adol75:

The pop is called a DC thump, it's common in poorly designed amplifiers and the remedy is to put a relay to delay the connection to the speakers.
It's a cheap circuit, but there is a ready to use kit here : amazon.com link »

Heh... WAY down that road. Whatever is going on with the JJP sound board the standard speaker protection circuits don't work. For one, they don't delay long enough (most are set to 2-3 seconds) and in addition, with JJP at least, the audio does not work and they simply introduce a clicking sound to the speakers. I have no idea why, I would assume the out to the speakers would be the same as any other audio out. I've tried a few and varying configurations.

On top of that, SP circuits likely won't solve the pop on power off.

A more direct solution was to simply cut the audio for a set amount of time using a timer circuit, which seems to work. However, almost all of those are only 1 channel. In this case we at least need 2, maybe 3 and maybe 6. I'm not an engineer so I am not 100% on if we need to cut to the sub woofer and if we need to cut each wire to each speaker or if just one wire to each speaker will suffice.

I am waiting on a multi-channel relay board which will allow for the cutoff to at least 3 channels if not all 6, combine that with the timer board and that may be a "build your own" solution or possibly combined into a product that can be sold.

But neither of those will handle the power off, I believe. For that others have used a capacitor circuit which introduces a delay on while the capacitor charges and then is able to cut the audio a split second before the amp powers off. Again, no expert and these solutions were made for earlier games with mono audio so you only had to interrupt one wire.

#25 2 days ago

I also contacted pinnovators, who I seem to believe designed the JJP sound board, to see if they were interested in working on a solution (not just for JJP but for all games) since they seem to deal in audio circuit design.

#26 2 days ago

Did you mean on Pinside or the game?

#27 2 days ago

Dude... huge apologies to you, you were absolutely correct. It didn't seem possible but you planted that thought in me so I had to test it out. The isolators that JJP uses are either inconsistent or just crappy. I have 3 JJP games in my house right now and 2 do this and 1 does not.

No problem. Glad you got it fixed. Full disclosure, I probably posted that before I read the details as I have had so much success with them. Same thing happened with my factory ones, and I should have probably mentioned that.

#28 2 days ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

No problem. Glad you got it fixed. Full disclosure, I probably posted that before I read the details as I have had so much success with them. Same thing happened with my factory ones, and I should have probably mentioned that.

Geeeesus chrisssstt JJP.... stop using shit!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.95
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dayton, OH
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 49.00
$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 21.00
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Sale Pending!
Highland Park, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside