(Topic ID: 80066)

Does anyone else feel unqualified to rate games?

By ryanwanger

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by x2times
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I want to rate games, I really do - but I can't bring myself to do it.

There are so many things that go into it: how many times have I played it, what condition the machine was in, was it set easy/hard, could I hear the sound over the adjacent machines, etc.

Sure, there are games I like more than others the first few times I play them...but a few plays isn't enough to judge, is it? I can't think of a game where my enjoyment has gone down over time. The more I play a game, the more I understand and enjoy it.

I'm starting to think I'd have to own a game for months just to give a proper assessment. And even in the case of High Speed (which I've played about 1400 times), I have no basis for equal comparison because I know it so much better than any other machine.

How does everyone else do it?

#2 10 years ago

Don't take it to seriously, it doesn't really mean anything. Everyone has different tastes...some like EM's, some hate them, some think WOZ is #1 all time, some think it's 457th....

#3 10 years ago

I like to think that you need 50 plays on most games to be really able to rate them.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

How does everyone else do it?

I just do it. I like lobster, its a 10. I don't like sweet potato french fries, that's a 1. I think the music on BK2000 is a 10, So therefore I rate the awesome music of my Pinbot a 9.

#6 10 years ago

I think that too many plays on a game could led to rating problems as well.
    Although it wouldn't change my opinion on the best games, only games that get tired after 300+ plays.

#7 10 years ago

Pull a NIke - Just Do It - My opinions of games sometimes change quite frequently and sometimes not. I never judge games on their condition unless I'm looking to buy. Sometimes the condition stops you from really judging the machine though.

#8 10 years ago

Ratings are problematic, as this is your opinion. When there is enough ratings, on a pin, the ranking will work out. If you play a game for more than an half hour, you should have some sort of an opinion of it.

#9 10 years ago

Who pays any attention to "ratings" anyway?

I know I don't.

#10 10 years ago

Yes it is really hard to do. You have to maybe think of the game like it was way back when. You mentioned HS.
    I would rate very high just because it is more fun and better sound and lights than many after it. The top 100 is really kind of stupid. It should be the top 20 EM, top 20Electronic w/o bg sound, top 20 with bg sound/speech, top 20 with A/N displays, top 20 with DMD. In my mind there is no way to compare one to another, it is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes they are fruits but that is it.

If you look at the top 100 and see games like FH, HS, HH, BH on the top 100 that to me means crazy good. As they don't have all the bells and whistles that the newer hardware has to offer.
    I used to look at some rating on Mr Pinball and same thing. How can a guy rate sound on an EM? and rate like 2 or 3. They all have pretty much 3 tone bars. EM should be rated totally different. Maybe, come back appeal, art and fun factor, but rating EM to EM. No way to compare Ships Ahoy to Jurassic Park.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I want to rate games, I really do - but I can't bring myself to do it.

If you have 20 games on a machine, you should be good to rate it. Anything less winds up being theme preference/first impression type of rating. It's best if the rating site allows you to go back and change a rating once you get more time on a game, if impressions change.

#12 10 years ago

This is something i have not done either mainly just don't want to be known as that guy who dogged the best machines ever per 98% of pinside users. Have played many good and broken machines but always try to play more then one copy of every machine before making my personal call. Have played many of machines in past that were total crap and years later come across similar machine and isn't as bad i remember the last one. But as we all see on here everybody has the certain taste/style of machine they like but then somebody else thinks is just terrible.

I don't want to be shunned because my backasswards self either dosen't get or enjoy what 98% of the other players like. I feel some of these so called A list pinballs are way over rated because someone payed a ton of money for it,so and so is the designer, it's ultra rare because it was the last of the pinball's at one time but it sucks and nobody says anything for fear of being burned in a old press-board pincabinet after a beat down from old used ball plunger assemblies so we keep quiet and sell them at A list pricing and say nothing just to get along.

Now i'm open to anyone who would let play their fine example and be willing to explain why the machine is so good so maybe i can see the light and join the other 98% of the believers.

#13 10 years ago

Now for the REAL way to rate games:

1. Rate all the games you own real high.
    2. Rate all the games with ratings higher than your games real low.

This is closer to the way a lot of guys handle it than anyone wants to admit.

#14 10 years ago

Your opinion is no more or no less valid than anyone else's here.
    Fire away and hell be dammed.
    It's pinball man, f&$@ the rules.

#15 10 years ago

I wish someone implement a game recommendation based on games liked in comparison to other pinball player likes. You wouldn't really need to do more than feed all the player likes into a neural network.

#16 10 years ago

I only rate games i have or have owned. But that means nothing because everyone likes different games. So rate it how you feel about it,now im confused so disregard everything i said.

#17 10 years ago

I like to rate games like this... my fav game is a ten, then slowly rate less points for your next favorite titles, type out a few reasons about what you really enjoy (and a few things if they really bother you).

My biggest conflict with ratings is when pins are given a 5 or less score with 1 short sentence that makes little or no sense at all.

There is no reason to tank a game as a 1 if you had a bad experience playing it on route, It devalues your ratings across the board in my eyes. I recently played Williams IJ at a few peoples houses, I loved the game the first time I played at MGC last year, the next time I found one it played really slow, then the next time it was fast&fun. Proper setup goes a long way.

#18 10 years ago

Oh one more thing ,always rate a machine you want lower so hopefully you can get it cheaper.

#19 10 years ago

I think the very fact that you acknowledge that you feel unqualified means that you are qualified. It's basically the Dunning-Kruger effect: People who know little about a subject think that they know more than they actually know. People who know a lot about a subject think that they know less than they do.

In the words of Confucius, "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

With that in mind, tell me what you really think of High Speed!

#20 10 years ago

Instead of trying to give games an individual score, I went ahead and ranked the 37 games I know best (there were 25 others that I haven't played enough times to give an opinion). This list was created by answering this question: "If all of these games were in front of me, which would I play 1st? 2nd? 3rd?" and on down the list. Made much more sense to me than by giving a numeric score. I left two gaps in the list, representing significants drop-offs in my interest level. There are a few so called top games down at the bottom that have the potential to rise significantly, but as it stands now, I don't enjoy them enough to put in the several dozen more games it would take before I start to appreciate them.

TZ
    TAF

MM
    CV
    The Shadow
    T2
    TFTC
    JM
    Breakshot
    Time Machine
    SM
    Tron
    MET
    RBION
    TOTAN
    Star Trek
    Congo
    HS
    Safe Cracker
    IJ
    AFM
    WOZ
    IJ4
    AC/DC
    FG

HS2
    Sopranos
    South Park
    NGG
    TSPP
    LOTR
    BBB
    CFTBL
    RFM
    X-Men
    Playboy (Stern)
    Avengers

#21 10 years ago

After reading some of the reviews, I didn't feel bad rating games at all. What's most helpful are thoughtful, sincere comments about what you liked or didn't like. I find the final score less important.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Yes it is really hard to do. You have to maybe think of the game like it was way back when. You mentioned HS. I would rate very high just because it is more fun and better sound and lights than many after it.

I hard a really hard time placing High Speed. It's one of only two pre-DMD era games I have played enough times to rate. I think the tech gap between TAF and the newest Sterns is small enough that they can be compared fairly (even though they are 22 years apart). Maybe having 3 categories would be fair: DMD & mode based SS games, SS games, EM games.

#23 10 years ago

Never do....don't pay any attention to ratings.

#24 10 years ago

Rate a game as you like, I don't think many really take any notice.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Who pays any attention to "ratings" anyway?
    I know I don't.

me either. I like what I like

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-else-feel-unqualified-to-rate-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.