Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20180905-192509_Gallery (resized).jpg
20180620_205249 (resized).jpg

#1 10 months ago

Gang:

I own a Capcom Flipper Football that has a couple of rows and one column out for as long as I have owned it. After the game has been running for a while, usually one of the rows comes to life.

This game uses an extra large DMD (256x64) and I have searched for a replacement for several years and never found one - NOS or used.

Does anyone out there do DMD repair? I think this one could be helped if placed in the right hands.

Thanks!

#2 10 months ago

I could be mistaken; but I don't think DMD's really can be repaired...

#3 10 months ago

If the DMD is gassed out, I believe you are correct. This one however is just missing a column/row.

But, hey...let's find out!

#5 10 months ago

yeoldpinplayer Yeah, I was hoping one of the known experts might chime in (or better yet, take the job). We'll give them them time to reply before I go the PM route.

I am not opposed to working on it myself, but know that it's a very rare item and therefore would prefer to let a professional work their magic.

Thanks for the link!

#6 10 months ago

I've repaired DMDs by replacing part of the flat ribbon cable. I've used common 1.27 mm copper ribbon cable as replacement and glued it to the DMD using silver epoxy in one end and soldering to the PCB in the other. The I've sealed it with hot glue. Don't know how long it will last though.

20180620_205249 (resized).jpg
#7 10 months ago

pellew That sounds like an interesting approach. Do you have any photos of the repair? When you say "flat ribbon cable" - do you mean you just cut an old ribbon cable and extract a donor wire?

Thanks for your feedback!

#8 10 months ago

I have successfully used rear-window-defroster copper paint, as recommended somewhere here on pinside, with pretty good results. Of course, this depends on how bad the connection is for that row or column. Do a search, if it's not in the link someone posted above.

Jeff

#9 10 months ago

If you look at the picture to the right it is possible to see the fix. I'll attach a better picture. I don't have any pictures of the ongoing repair. The donor cable is the same type as an old IDE cable to a harddrive. My DMD was to badly damage to be fixed with silver/copper paint, but that is also a good thing to test before replacing the ribbon cable.

Screenshot_20180905-192509_Gallery (resized).jpg
#10 10 months ago

sometimes they can, but time you pay somebody to do it, its cheaper to buy a nice used one for $100 on here. see them daily with all the color dmd replacements.

#11 10 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

sometimes they can, but time you pay somebody to do it, its cheaper to buy a nice used one for $100 on here. see them daily with all the color dmd replacements.

Quoted from xeneize:

This game uses an extra large DMD (256x64)

Not impossible to find but comparatively very rare.

#12 10 months ago

ccbiggsoo7 The unit in question, is not a standard DMD. See post #1

pellew Thanks for the additional photos!

#13 10 months ago

yeoldpinplayer If you have a line on one, please let me know! I have only ever found one (advertised as NOS) and it was completely dead (outgassed).

I would gladly purchase a working replacement!

#14 10 months ago
Quoted from xeneize:

The unit in question, is not a standard DMD.

PinballSP is testing a prototype color LED replacement for this size I believe.

#15 10 months ago

crash Now, THAT would be ideal!

I will reach out to them...it can never hurt to ask!

#16 10 months ago

Watch ebay, those capcom dmd's come up now and again and sell cheaply because while rare there is not anything desirable that used them.

#17 10 months ago

I have an untested large capcom display in my stash. Not sure how to check it with no game present. IM me if you are interested.
I thought these displays were used in slot machines too, but that might be the Sega sized ones.

#18 10 months ago

Problem with that, @dung (I have an eBay alert to notify me whenever one hits), they are never tested. And not cheap enough to justify buying one in the hopes that it can be repaired. Thanks for chiming in.

@crash Good lead! @pinballsp has already written me back and said that while he had no idea a DMD that size even existed, he could possibly design me a replacement. No idea what that would cost and we have a lot of back and forth before we can do anything tangible in order to get him specs, measurements, dot pitch, etc., but it's an option to explore.

#19 10 months ago

email borygard@gmail.com if anybody can fix it it would prob be rob. But don't hold your breath.

#20 10 months ago

kbliznick PM sent
ccbiggsoo7 Agreed. Rob is awesome. I'll ask him, just know it's not his normal job.

#21 10 months ago

Ok, I went back to his main thread and confirmed he has a 128x64 model, not 256x64. But that’s great news and ask glad he shows interest. His products are awesome and saving games that would otherwise not be fully functional.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Renaissance, FLORIDA
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 7.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
Operation Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 7,399.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 47.00
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus
$ 149.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside