New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 224748)

Does anyone do DMD repair?

By xeneize

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20180905-192509_Gallery (resized).jpg
20180620_205249 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Gang:

I own a Capcom Flipper Football that has a couple of rows and one column out for as long as I have owned it. After the game has been running for a while, usually one of the rows comes to life.

This game uses an extra large DMD (256x64) and I have searched for a replacement for several years and never found one - NOS or used.

Does anyone out there do DMD repair? I think this one could be helped if placed in the right hands.

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

I could be mistaken; but I don't think DMD's really can be repaired...

#3 2 years ago

If the DMD is gassed out, I believe you are correct. This one however is just missing a column/row.

But, hey...let's find out!

#5 2 years ago

yeoldpinplayer Yeah, I was hoping one of the known experts might chime in (or better yet, take the job). We'll give them them time to reply before I go the PM route.

I am not opposed to working on it myself, but know that it's a very rare item and therefore would prefer to let a professional work their magic.

Thanks for the link!

#6 2 years ago

I've repaired DMDs by replacing part of the flat ribbon cable. I've used common 1.27 mm copper ribbon cable as replacement and glued it to the DMD using silver epoxy in one end and soldering to the PCB in the other. The I've sealed it with hot glue. Don't know how long it will last though.

20180620_205249 (resized).jpg
#7 2 years ago

pellew That sounds like an interesting approach. Do you have any photos of the repair? When you say "flat ribbon cable" - do you mean you just cut an old ribbon cable and extract a donor wire?

Thanks for your feedback!

#8 2 years ago

I have successfully used rear-window-defroster copper paint, as recommended somewhere here on pinside, with pretty good results. Of course, this depends on how bad the connection is for that row or column. Do a search, if it's not in the link someone posted above.

Jeff

#9 2 years ago

If you look at the picture to the right it is possible to see the fix. I'll attach a better picture. I don't have any pictures of the ongoing repair. The donor cable is the same type as an old IDE cable to a harddrive. My DMD was to badly damage to be fixed with silver/copper paint, but that is also a good thing to test before replacing the ribbon cable.

Screenshot_20180905-192509_Gallery (resized).jpg
#10 2 years ago

sometimes they can, but time you pay somebody to do it, its cheaper to buy a nice used one for $100 on here. see them daily with all the color dmd replacements.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

sometimes they can, but time you pay somebody to do it, its cheaper to buy a nice used one for $100 on here. see them daily with all the color dmd replacements.

Quoted from xeneize:

This game uses an extra large DMD (256x64)

Not impossible to find but comparatively very rare.

#12 2 years ago

ccbiggsoo7 The unit in question, is not a standard DMD. See post #1

pellew Thanks for the additional photos!

#13 2 years ago

yeoldpinplayer If you have a line on one, please let me know! I have only ever found one (advertised as NOS) and it was completely dead (outgassed).

I would gladly purchase a working replacement!

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

The unit in question, is not a standard DMD.

PinballSP is testing a prototype color LED replacement for this size I believe.

#15 2 years ago

crash Now, THAT would be ideal!

I will reach out to them...it can never hurt to ask!

#16 2 years ago

Watch ebay, those capcom dmd's come up now and again and sell cheaply because while rare there is not anything desirable that used them.

#17 2 years ago

I have an untested large capcom display in my stash. Not sure how to check it with no game present. IM me if you are interested.
I thought these displays were used in slot machines too, but that might be the Sega sized ones.

#18 2 years ago

Problem with that, @dung (I have an eBay alert to notify me whenever one hits), they are never tested. And not cheap enough to justify buying one in the hopes that it can be repaired. Thanks for chiming in.

@crash Good lead! @pinballsp has already written me back and said that while he had no idea a DMD that size even existed, he could possibly design me a replacement. No idea what that would cost and we have a lot of back and forth before we can do anything tangible in order to get him specs, measurements, dot pitch, etc., but it's an option to explore.

#19 2 years ago

email borygard@gmail.com if anybody can fix it it would prob be rob. But don't hold your breath.

#20 2 years ago

kbliznick PM sent
ccbiggsoo7 Agreed. Rob is awesome. I'll ask him, just know it's not his normal job.

#21 2 years ago

Ok, I went back to his main thread and confirmed he has a 128x64 model, not 256x64. But that’s great news and ask glad he shows interest. His products are awesome and saving games that would otherwise not be fully functional.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet Parts
Troxel Repair
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Game Room Info Shop
$ 199.99
$ 334.95
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 6,750.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 209.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside