Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Mike_J
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Obviously I like

I was just sayin that cuz you guys both posted right on top of each other with your AC/DC Avatars

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I laugh my ass off every time Steve says it is time to change your thong !

Not heard that! Playing a BIBLE next week so hope to hear it

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Ok let me provide another POV and support ScottinSGFNY views some.
    I love AC/DC the band and their music. The game is beautiful with the lighting and the sounds just plain rocking on that thing. Typical Steve Ritchie flow - sweet. I'm a Ritchie and Sheets fan.
    I don't own one and likely won't. First, the LE's with the cloudy bottom playfield is just BS. Convince yourself all you want, I've seen them first hand and you guys should be pissed instead of clapping your hands. If I went, it would be new premium all day long because the bottom playfield is crystal clear. You want to bling it out after, go for it. To pay LE prices for inferior quality due to backglass picture, sideart and armor bling - but mini playfield looks like fog, keep convincing yourselves in that little collector circle. I would be pissed. Your not, so be it.
    Second, Steve's voice sounds goofy. And I love Ritchie and his voice in Mortal Kombat. Just sounds silly in this game - to me. Third, the gameplay has super fast shots that are unforgiving - just like Iron Man. If you don't own Iron Man by all means grab AC/DC, but for me not to different in shot layout. Yes, there is a cannon and min playfield I know.
    Lastly, Ritchie produced a nice game here. Earth shattering - nope. His and Lymans reputation are helping this one along to the uber collector level. Turn off the sound and play it. It's nice not super dee duper. Iron Man to me. I felt myself get an adrenaline rush the two dozen times I played it, but I've isolated it to the music mostly. AC/DC and the sound system just rock on that game. The game is fun, no question. But the hype machine I think is a bit on overdrive since it's Steve.
    Bottom line we all like different games. AC/DC is a very solid game. Personally, it just isn't offering me that "I want it now" feeling since it feels like IM to me. Opinions vary so enjoy the hell out of it.

I own Iron Man and AC/DC and they're really nothing like each other...other than being brutal and having really short ball times for the most part (although AC/DC's get longer as you get better, whereas IM's really don't).

The thing that sets AC/DC apart has nothing to do with the music, playfield, sound, cloudy window, or anything else like that, it's the ruleset. There are so many scoring options and so many different ways to make a high score that it really gives the game superb replay value. Most games there's a shot that if you suck at, you're going to do terrible on the game no matter what (mode hole, gem shot, etc). That doesn't really exist in AC/DC, as you can choose a song to work around your strengths. There's no other game in existence with a ruleset like it, there's so much risk/reward going on constantly while you're playing...do I try and stack another multiball, do I try and hit the bell again for 2x scoring, should I change songs before multiball, etc.

If you don't like stacking rulesets and want more of a 'one mode at a time' kind of game like IJ, you're not going to like AC/DC probably. But if you like games that are hard and have lots of stacking, AC/DC is for you. It's a different mindset, and you can read posts over the past 6 months where the same person disliked the game, then were lukewarm, then loved it...and you can see this happen over and over again. The game isn't going to click 100% with you until you understand the ruleset.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

The game isn't going to click 100% with you until you understand the ruleset.

That's a fair point your making. The rules can change a lot on perception. Listen, I like it enough I'm interested to play it more. To own right now, I just honestly feel like IM in gameplay - to me. I'll challenge myself more on the rules to be open minded.

I will caveat this by saying I owned a TSPP and while I respect those deep rules, that games is not for me either.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I own Iron Man and AC/DC and they're really nothing like each other...other than being brutal and having really short ball times for the most part (although AC/DC's get longer as you get better, whereas IM's really don't).
    The thing that sets AC/DC apart has nothing to do with the music, playfield, sound, cloudy window, or anything else like that, it's the ruleset. There are so many scoring options and so many different ways to make a high score that it really gives the game superb replay value. Most games there's a shot that if you suck at, you're going to do terrible on the game no matter what (mode hole, gem shot, etc). That doesn't really exist in AC/DC, as you can choose a song to work around your strengths. There's no other game in existence with a ruleset like it, there's so much risk/reward going on constantly while you're playing...do I try and stack another multiball, do I try and hit the bell again for 2x scoring, should I change songs before multiball, etc.
    If you don't like stacking rulesets and want more of a 'one mode at a time' kind of game like IJ, you're not going to like AC/DC probably. But if you like games that are hard and have lots of stacking, AC/DC is for you. It's a different mindset, and you can read posts over the past 6 months where the same person disliked the game, then were lukewarm, then loved it...and you can see this happen over and over again. The game isn't going to click 100% with you until you understand the ruleset.

Nailed it.

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

How many times have you played it ? What games do you like ? Just asking .

Played it I would guess about 40-50 games. I own Iron Man, Spiderman, LOTR LE , Family Guy and RBION as far as Stern machines. I did have a TSPP but that didn't do it for me either and it has left.

#57 11 years ago

At the risk of having McCune send me more insulting PM's I will say that I was unimpressed by the Pro version. Have not played a Premium or LE yet, so I am witholding complete judgment on this pin.

#58 11 years ago

My history kind of went like this:

Saw pictures of the pro in January, huge face, what were they thinking???
    Played a pro in person in March, game was fun but not mind blowing. Had very early code, decided not to buy one. Face wasn't bad in person.
    In June, code started getting updated and the reviews started to get better, so I thought about getting a pro AC/DC with a pro X-Men in one shipment.
    In July, X-Men started getting lukewarm reviews, decided not to get that. Then I played an AC/DC premium for the first time, I left feeling pretty wowed by the lights and sound. Still had no idea what was going on when I was playing it.
    Debated on it for a month, decided to fork out the cash for the premium due to X-Men's shaky launch
    Got in August, have put like 600 or 700 plays on it in two months.

So the same sort of path that many others have taken.

#59 11 years ago

After playing AC/DC, I found it to be the most memorable of the newer Stern machines. I also thought it was a bad idea, before I played it, I was wrong. Gameplay is awesome. Maybe someday I will be able to afford a premium as I like all the extra goodies. AC/DC Rocks.
    Bob
    On a side note, if Stern could not acquire the Led Zep license, I hope and pray they can get an Ozzy/Black Sabbath license............please, NO kiss.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I laugh my ass off every time Steve says it is time to change your thong !

Never hear that.
    But on Theatre of Magic I always hear the lady say to "Shoot for the magic drunk".

#61 11 years ago

Best game I've ever played. But there are always haters out there!

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from BriGuy5:

All this positive talk draws me closer to buying one. Other than for known issues, does anyone dislike playing this pin??

WHO CARES?!?!?!?

#63 11 years ago

I went to an arcade to play tron and ac/dc to decide if I wanted to buy one. Both games seemed decent but I was not impressed. Revisited the same arcade a couple of weeks later and really liked the ac/dc. Currently saving for the premium AC/DC. I wasn't a huge AC/DC music fan, but I think it is an excellent choice for a pinball machine!!

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

At the risk of having McCune send me more insulting PM's I will say that I was unimpressed by the Pro version. Have not played a Premium or LE yet, so I am witholding complete judgment on this pin.

Premium/LE is worlds better then the Pro IMO.

#65 11 years ago

I love it. My husband loves it. His Dad loves it. My 6 year-old daughter loves it, so does her best friend's mom and the family across the street from us. I can't comment beyond that only because we haven't had anyone else over to play it yet.

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from Breadfan:

WHO CARES?!?!?!?

Lol......nice contribution to the thread. Move along if you don't care.

#67 11 years ago

I hate ACDC.

I love ACDC.

Yes it's a love/hate thing. Always keeps me coming back for more. Most addicting pin I've ever owned.

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Never hear that.
    But on Theatre of Magic I always hear the lady say to "Shoot for the magic drunk".

On Tron I hear "Disc battles, f*ckin' spectacular arenas!"

(I know he's saying "fought in"...but it sounds like f*ckin'!)

#69 11 years ago

Thanks all for your input. I really need to make a decision as I don't really care for the theme, but if gameplay is second to none, who cares. I don't loathe or love acdc the band, I'm neutral. But their songs can be catchy and couple that with a fun game, it sounds like a winner. I'm sure if I got it and didn't like it I could get rid of it without losing too much in the end. I would need to part with one of my games first, though.

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Premium/LE is worlds better then the Pro IMO.

I'm looking forward to playing the LE at Flippers in a few weeks. Actually I kinda hope I don't like it, because if I like it I'll want to buy one and a 6k pin (for the Premium) isn't exactly in my budget right now!

#72 11 years ago
    Quoted from BriGuy5:

Thanks all for your input. I really need to make a decision as I don't really care for the theme, but if gameplay is second to none, who cares. I don't loathe or love acdc the band, I'm neutral. But their songs can be catchy and couple that with a fun game, it sounds like a winner. I'm sure if I got it and didn't like it I could get rid of it without losing too much in the end. I would need to part with one of my games first, though.

If you don't "hate" ACDC and love fast action style games you can't lose with ACDC. Even if you don't like it after you've had it a while enough people will want it you won't take a huge loss like others have on other titles.

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I'm looking forward to playing the LE at Flippers in a few weeks. Actually I kinda hope I don't like it, because if I like it I'll want to buy one and a 6k pin (for the Premium) isn't exactly in my budget right now!

If its out of your budget I'd suggest not playing it then. Lol

Nothing good can happen if its not in the budget as of right now.

#74 11 years ago

"Nothing good" is exactly right, because I can afford one but I feel that I have too much money sunk into this hobby already.

#75 11 years ago

I hate AC/DC music
    I hate the Steeve Ritchie voice
    I hate the Angus face
    For my part the cab art and translite art is so so...
    But I have to say I love this hard genius game
    Yes I only have AC/DC pro but this is one my best choice that I'll done

#76 11 years ago

It's a good game, but personally I don't like AC/DC's music so I would never own one. I don't even dislike their music, it's the singer(s) voice. I just can't stand it. If I could get one without vocals on it I'd love it!

#77 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

I love it. My husband loves it. His Dad loves it. My 6 year-old daughter loves it, so does her best friend's mom and the family across the street from us.

But how many doctors recommend it?

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Nailed it.

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

It has to be the most addictive to play to date for me. No game is perfect but this is the Best Music pin I've played.

You just put it up for sale 3 hours later.

Good luck on your grail pin. Hope you land it.

#80 11 years ago

I love my ACDC. One of the best games I've played and by far the best game for multi-players I've ever played.

#81 11 years ago

Miss post

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

You are selling ACDC after 3 hours? Wow must have really turned you off.

Sorry, looks like Coaster put it up for sale 3 hours after he posted the positive comments on the game. I think he's owned it longer. Over/under is 2 weeks.

Just teasing my friend. I love watching you buy/sell. Keep it up!!

#83 11 years ago

I don't dislike acdc but I often don't have much fun playing it.

So I have the premium. I play it a fair amount. I find I have fun about 33% of the time and am frustrated the other 67%. The game is fast and the flow is amazing. But the outlanes are vicious. Steve is an expert at "where will the ball go if you hit here". He purposely designed a game that sends the ball where you don't want it on almost every shot. The game is cheap and it tries to screw you. Centered angled target bank to send balls to the outlane? Stand up targets by every ramp to ricochet back at you if you miss? The bell often sends the ball SDTM. You have to keep the tilt bob liberal and nudge a lot. The cannon screws you often even if you make your designated shot. The game will make you play better. There is some decent challenge here but also some decent frustration. It's a lot like ironman in this regard. As I said, I often come away having had no fun at all. But in the end, I like the game.

I'm not a huge acdc fan but I also don't hate them. The machine artwork is pretty ugly. (I was the one that designed my own translite for the game). But the toys and lighting makes the game look great. As for the lower pf, you're in and out of there quickly. It's not a major part of the game play. But it is a decent part of game scoring strategy.

It is really nothing like T2. T2 had good flow and a similar layout but acdc is fast and plays so different. T2 is a much more controlled game. Anyone that says the game is like T2 with acdc music clearly has no idea about this game and you should ignore their worthless opinion. Yes everyone has differing opinions. Some may like and some may hate. But to say this is like T2 indicates you only looked at the game on paper and have not put time into it.

Lyman's rules on this game are complex and brilliant. The stacking, rewards, VIP pass strategy, Dracula like mb stacking - one of the greatest rulesets in pinball - from pinballs best rule programmer. Lyman makes this game what it is. Yes Steve designed a good flowing game. But Lyman added all the risk / reward in the rules. He is responsible for the fun. The sound is great. Someone said playing without sound sucks. Well yea. You'd be playing without a good chunk of the game. Crank it up and enjoy it.

If you like games that are fast, punishing, adrenalin rush with huge potential pay offs, you will probably like acdc.

#84 11 years ago

I initially disliked AC/DC. Played a Pro on location. Too fast, no control, old ruleset, no understanding of anything, apparently repetitive shots and music at the lowest possible volume.

Then I found another Pro with updated rules, and a beautiful Premium. A few dozen game later, I was a convert. Now I am a zealous convert. Beware that game is the most addictive drug I know (OK, I did not test all of them

The only thing I could say now against AC/DC is that the machines on location are relatively fragile - broken plastics and a more serious breakdown currently prevent me from playing it right now. Blasting Martians as a substitute !

#85 11 years ago

Not a big fan of the pro. Have played it alot but just can't get that into it. The LE looks to be much better but cannot find one to play. It kind of pisses me off that there is such a difference in the two. LE's should have upgraded parts, toys, trim, backglass etc. but not different gameplay.

1 week later
    #86 11 years ago

The AC/DC pro on location just got updated code. Wow, what a difference. It is like night and day. I still don't like the fact that there is such a difference in gameplay and physical design between LE and pro but I have gone from being disappointed in this title to really liking it. Tron LE also got an update but now I can't stack Daft PunK multiball and identity disk multiball. WTF? They took one of the funnest aspects of TRON LE and ruined it.

#87 11 years ago
    Quoted from kidfresh:

The AC/DC pro on location just got updated code. Wow, what a difference. It is like night and day. I still don't like the fact that there is such a difference in gameplay and physical design between LE and pro but I have gone from being disappointed in this title to really liking it. TRON LE also got an update but now I can't stack Daft PunK multiball and identity disk multiball. WTF? They took one of the funnest aspects of TRON LE and ruined it.

I Didnt think you could stack Daft Punk (EOL) multiball with any of the other multiballs.

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from BriGuy5:

I feel exactly the same about the music, and I absolutely love playing this game.
    The songs are fun to pin-jam to, that's all that matters. Great game!

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Centered angled target bank to send balls to the outlane?

You mean like TRS, Avatar, IM and lots of other games?

Quoted from markmon:

Stand up targets by every ramp to ricochet back at you if you miss?

You mean like virtually every recent Stern?

Quoted from markmon:

The cannon screws you often even if you make your designated shot.

I'm not sure how long you've owned your game, but one of the first things I learned (playing strictly on location) is to NOT shoot for the low value 'designated shot'. Unless you're shooting for a song jackpot, the risk is not worth the measly reward. The game tries to tempt you sometimes by offering a double jackpot with 2 or more targets lit for jackpots. Still not enough. Don't do it. Instead, aim for the bell. It's generally a safer shot from the cannon than from either flipper. If you watch the PAPA videos, you'll see how most players shoot the bell more often than whatever cheap jackpot is lit.

#90 11 years ago

I like ACDC as a band. I do not think they are the greatest ever but like them. For that reason I was not sure if I would like the game or not. I played the pin a couple weeks ago at markmons (thanks again) I only played 2 or 3 games but liked every minute I played. I really cursed at the bell a couple times though as a soft shot into it as you all know by now goes SDTM.

#91 11 years ago

While visiting Expo,I was able to corner Steve Richie , he shook my hand and looked down at my name tag and said " McCune ! The guy who loves AC/DC the most ! "

Made my Expo !

Jim

#92 11 years ago

I know we've had disagreements in the past McCune but that is admittedly really cool.

#93 11 years ago

Not a huge fan. I can play it at a bar for awhile and it keeps my interest...but I wouldn't want to own it.

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

While visiting Expo,I was able to corner Steve Richie , he shook my hand and looked down at my name tag and said " McCune ! The guy who loves AC/DC the most ! "

Made my Expo !

Jim

Damn thats cool!

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

I dislike the theme and that's coming from a NJ Devils fan (they come on the ice to "Hell's Bells) I would really have to spend a lot of time with that game and bond with it. I always disliked their sound but respect that most people disagree with me. There's no way I'm stepping near that theme as a casual player knowing nothing about pinball. I would walk up to it immediately as a more than casual player to see how in the world this horrible theme is getting great reviews. Must be a good game. I'm really curious. I recently acquired a LOTR because I love the trilogy and spent 3 months playing it in a league where it grew on me every week.

LOL! I am a Devils fan as well, also not crazy about the theme.

Interesting...

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Made my Expo !

Nice. That sounds very much like Steve. We are very fortunate to have him in this hobby.

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from BriGuy5:

All this positive talk draws me closer to buying one. Other than for known issues, does anyone dislike playing this pin??

Kinda meh for me so far, but I still want one. I have a feeling that with all the rules variations Lyman created that I will love the challenge and the different ways to play if its in my basement and I can do hour long sessions at a time.

#98 11 years ago
    Quoted from BriGuy5:

Game play is NOT second to none. There are better Ritchie/Sheets games. Come up (im 40 miles from you) and look at my LOTR. Now that's a game that's second to none.

Whoops, looks like you have LOTR. But you do don't have Spidey

Post edited by TheFamilyArcade : Noticed his collection

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Game play is NOT second to none. There are better Ritchie/Sheets games. Come up (im 40 miles from you) and look at my LOTR. Now that's a game that's second to none.

For you ! Not me ! I wouldn't own a LOTR unless I could sell it to make money on .

I did not hear one bad thing about AC/DC during the four days at EXPO .

Jim

#100 11 years ago

I believe there was a poll on here recently...I only looked at what pin placed first. Where did ACDC end up placing?

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-dislike-acdc/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.