• 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

What exact change are you thinking?

'Scott', who hangs out on RGP sometimes, has done extensive modding of firepower specifically, even going so far as to rewrite the entire game as a system 7 game to take advantage of the expanded hardware capabilities, he's definitely the way to go regarding your change, if it happens that he hasn't already made it

I'm not aware of anyone else really doing system 6 modding these days. I've been working on a custom rom for sys 3-6 (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/re-rule-hot-tip-w-me) but it's also a total rewrite, not just a tweak like you're looking for

Seems like that forum is pretty much dead

It's too bad as rom hacking seems like an under used part of pinball. So few people do it much and there's no real place to put info though that it sorta stagnates. Would be cool to have a pinside subforum for it

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from deluge:

Doing this has been a long-time goal of mine...so many older machines play well, have great shots, etc. but need far better rules.

Any specific examples? I agree many of them are lacking rules, but often I have a hard time thinking of improvements

1 year later
#13 4 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

Bringing this thread back from mothballs - anyone know if a custom rom has ever been done for stingray? Would love to adjust the rules so the 55000 point shot at the saucer isn't randomly available from the plunge. As it stands it sucks in tournaments because of that random award.

Not being available off the plunge would be nice, but that game is still so random, it doesn't seem like it'd help much? Further changes needed to completely derandomize the hole awards

#20 4 years ago

Slings are pretty random, imo. Would be better if specific shots on the playfield could move it.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I would like to see a separate rule for the far right spinner on Blackout.
As the code is written there is never a reason to shoot the far-right spinner as the middle spinner is a much easier shot and is always lit for the same amount. Perhaps a simple rule like alternating the center and right spinner for 1000 per spin. Or perhaps a rule where if you drop the yellow 3-bank three times the far right spinner flashes for 2000 per spin.

Just picked up a blackout. Been writing a new rom for it while I get it running, and currently it has the alternating, along with super spinner combos. If you've got any other ideas LMK, hopefully I get the machine working eventually...

1 month later
#32 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Can you elaborate?

Elaborate on what specifically?

Which spinner sound do you find annoying? It's been along time since I played a blackout but I didn't remember anything

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Please elaborate what you mean by “the alternating” and “super spinner combos”
The spinner increases the pitch of the background sound which becomes very grating when stuck on the highest pitches.

In my current alpha code, you light both right spinners as a unit, but only one at a time, then something (current bumpers) will alternate them back and forth, so you need to change up which one you shoot for. Combo wise, I've got it set up so the left inlane will flash a spinner for a few seconds for extra points (maybe 3x or 5x?)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Foxborough, MA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-create-custom-roms?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.