• 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ejacques.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 4 years ago

Bringing this thread back from mothballs - anyone know if a custom rom has ever been done for stingray? Would love to adjust the rules so the 55000 point shot at the saucer isn't randomly available from the plunge. As it stands it sucks in tournaments because of that random award.

#17 4 years ago

Stingray - hole value stays the same between players. If 55k was last thing lit before a drain it stays that way for the next player. Hole value is changed by ten point switches...in my opinion game could be better if there was a ten point switch in the "rebounds" around the kickout hole...could make setting up the hole award "more skillful" with some nudging.

Quoted from slochar:

I'm assuming the hole value stays the same between players? So p1 drains with 55k lit, p2 has 55k lit as well? If so, that would be dead easy to fix. Would just change the code to give the same lamps for every player at ball start instead of leaving some and resetting others.

If the hole value changes via switches on the playfield, it's not truly random, it's sort of under your control.

I forget what the right target does but I think over the years people have swapped wires from the right target to the center target, and added a gate back to the shooter lane to try and nerf that repeatable shot. What would you have the right target do instead?
There's a ton of Bally games from around that era that just build too much on one shot (eight ball champ, grand slam, likely others) which negates any other shots on the playfield being worth shooting for. (Medusa with neptune's cove, as well)

#18 4 years ago

In a sense it is no different than lock stealing - don't leave 55k lit for the next player and you're fine - however that sounds way easier than it is. Would be nice if perhaps the least valuable award was lit at the start of the game so player one can't walk up to a free gift so to speak.

Quoted from ejacques:

Stingray - hole value stays the same between players. If 55k was last thing lit before a drain it stays that way for the next player. Hole value is changed by ten point switches...in my opinion game could be better if there was a ten point switch in the "rebounds" around the kickout hole...could make setting up the hole award "more skillful" with some nudging.

#21 4 years ago

Ok...so someone sent me video showing that there is a rebound switch by the upper saucer that changes the value ... Ignore my request....I guess I need to take a close look at mine to see if that switch is broken.

Quoted from ejacques:

#28 4 years ago

Thanks! I know just the guy to pass that info along to...perhaps we will do those up.

Quoted from slochar:

Nothing like doing stuff out of order! I do the same thing, and it gives me motivation to actually get the machine running.

Well, here's the changes you need to make to rom U6 to make the eject hole always start on the same value:
Comparing files cpu_u6.716 and ORG\CPU_U6.716
0000022E: 1E 13
0000022F: 34 0A
00000634: BD 00
00000635: 12 00
00000636: 74 00
00000637: 7E 00
00000638: 13 00
00000639: 0A 00
0000063A: ED 00
The number to the left of the colon is the offset into rom u6. The number directly to the right is the 'new' value, and the number all the way to the right is the original value.
what it's doing:
offset 22e is part of a jump instruction (originally jmp $130a, short delay), that occurs at the start of every ball after everything has been set up, ball launched etc.
the instruction changes to jmp $1e34, which is the first empty byte in the rom at the end.
offset 634 is location $1e34 once the rom loads, previously blank. Here's what the bytes do:
bd 12 74 jsr $1274 - this routine resets the counter for the top saucer and sets the light. This code is already present in the game, but normally only gets called when the value rolls over from 1-2-3-4-5 to 6, to reset it back to 1. Bally was well known in this era for using this type of counter, and since Stingray (and pinball, which uses the exact same rom) was ripped off directly from bally (not sure which game, but likely freedom), it does the same thing.
7e 13 0a jmp $130a - this instruction should look familiar, as it's the one that we replaced to get to this routine.
$ed - this is the rom checksum correction for the new routine that's been added.
Edit your u6 with your eprom burner software or something like frhed (a free hex editor), burn onto a new eprom (2716 or 2732 if you double up the rom/have your board jumpered differently) and every ball will start with whatever the default value is (it's not 55k!) - it's 5k and probably lights some other feature on the playfield, not sure what. The picture below is what pinmame debug looks like when testing/writing these mods....
[quoted image]
If you look at the full size picture, you can see some lit dots in a grid.... these represent lamps, solenoids, and switches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ejacques.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-create-custom-roms?tu=ejacques and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.